XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Wood Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Well, that went well. I must say that it has been fun removing interior trim pieces, door panels, etc. Everything has gone smoothly and I haven't broken anything yet. I wish working on the mechanics of the car were this easy.

The steering wheel came off simply by removing the two screws on the back of the wheel and the horn pad came off. Then there was a plastic nut on the wheel with a plunger that unscrewed by hand and pulled out (maybe something for the horn, I'm not sure). Then a nut holding the steering wheel on. It just pulled of an the new one went on easy.

Here are some photos:
Wood Steering Wheel-dsc03642.jpg

Wood Steering Wheel-dsc03644.jpg

Wood Steering Wheel-dsc03645.jpg

Old 02-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Received 174 Likes on 126 Posts

When I replaced my stock wheel with a Myrtle one, I also replaced the horn pad with a "new" one I got on EBay. The fit wasn't quite right, but it works, and when it's a bit warmer I'll trim the new horn pad as necessary.

In the meantime I found out that if I park the car overnight and it gets cold, something contracts enough to make the horn push super-sensitive...in fact sensitive enough that even turning the wheel would make the horn sound! So my advice is not to think that you have to tighten the two screws down all the way, when I backed mine off a bit the annoying "auto horn" feature went away.

Of course if you are using your original horn push this may not effect you at all.

John
1987 XJ-S V12
63,000 miles

Old 02-06-2014, 07:55 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

jnporcello,

That new steering wheel makes all the difference! What an upgrade over the stock wheel.

Money well spent.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Well,
After less than 1 year and about 500 Kilometres driven, the finish on my steering wheel has split about 6 inches.....about $500 all in for the steering wheel (give or take) and when I emailed them outlining my issue with their product, they indicated all they could do was fix it...all at MY cost.....a product that costs this much, and barely used, should not have this happen in my opinion. I own several Jaguars, and some of the jags require wood refinishing....and I will never deal with Myrtle again..... Which is to bad, as their products look nice.... But in my opinion, their product and customer service leaves something to be desired.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,175 Posts

Thanks for the update.

I am glad I didn't pull the trigger on this. Looks like I will not be buying anything from over there. I'll take my chances elsewhere.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

I've read many similar complaints about this supplier over the past few years. I know that I won't be utilizing any of their services. The wood in my '95 convertible is a friggin' mess (Florida sun and heat) and needs to be redone.

I plan on doing the job myself. A question I have and I will experiment with possible solutions; The factory wood finish is a multipart epoxy that sets up rock hard. IMO, over the years this hard finish does not move with the wood as the wood expands and contracts and the epoxy (polyurethane as well)eventually fails. So...I intend to experiment with other wood finishes that are durable but not as hard.
Any thoughts?

Old 07-09-2014, 01:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by jnporcello
Does anybody have a source for wood steering wheels that the same style as the factory ones? I am having a hard time dealing with Myrtle Productions... They offer to make one, but don't say what they'd need or a what price. I ask the price, they tell me whatever it was on the website. It takes 10 days to get a shipping price... etc. Its been back and forth for about a month and I don't seem any closer to getting a steering wheel.
Hi JNP

The GF who used to deliver car parts and has a network of contacts, may just have come up with the people that you are looking for.

http://www.jaguarxjsinteriors.com/14...teering-wheels

Last edited by orangeblossom; 07-09-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to see britishautowood is on this forum. I bought a skislope with cup holders for my 90 Coupe that is top notch and I am very pleased.

I also pitched the stock wheel/airbag and put a NOS Nardi wheel in its place.

Absolutely transformed the car. Yes, I had to do without self-cancelling turn signals, but worth it. The feel alone of the wheel is fantastic, let alone the look.

cheers

Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 AM

I hope my steering wheel from Myrtle doesn't have the same problems. Its been about 1/2 a hear and still doing OK.. Yes, their customer service definitely leaves something to be desired. I looked everywhere else for a wood wheel before buying from them, but they were the only one's I could find with a stock center and wood wheel. I must say, the fit and feel of it is great.

Britishautowood is amazing. He did the rest of my interior this winter and it looks fabulous. If he's got or does what your looking for, then look no further.

The following users liked this post:
britishautowood (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger95
I've read many similar complaints about this supplier over the past few years. I know that I won't be utilizing any of their services. The wood in my '95 convertible is a friggin' mess (Florida sun and heat) and needs to be redone.

I plan on doing the job myself. A question I have and I will experiment with possible solutions; The factory wood finish is a multipart epoxy that sets up rock hard. IMO, over the years this hard finish does not move with the wood as the wood expands and contracts and the epoxy (polyurethane as well)eventually fails. So...I intend to experiment with other wood finishes that are durable but not as hard.
Any thoughts?

Hi Roger, The O.E finish is not Epoxy, it is a 3 part polyester finish which in a production factory setting is UV cured. If you plan on doing the wood yourself, buy an inexpensive spray gun, 3M mask etc and use a two part polyurethane. Awlgrip makes a very good one for the marine industry, as does ICA America. I've also heard good things about WR-LPU Topcoat - System Three Resins, Inc.. Stay away from anything that is not 2 part, and certainly anything from Minwax

Cheers,

Old 07-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Also check out the hybrid Polyester PF5051. Very user friendly in this hot/humid climate. Hope this helps. ICA North America - Products - Polyesters

Attached Thumbnails Wood Steering Wheel-xjs95.jpg  
Old 07-10-2014, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I love that steering wheel! I've got the sports wheel in my 89 and it is really great, though I think that a wooden wheel (mine has the Elm burr) would give the interior the finishing touches...

Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Received 231 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks British Autowood for the suggestions. I've tried the Awlgrip and found it difficult to use.
I will try will try the other products and, to be sure, I will not be using Minwax LOL!

Old 07-02-2023, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by jnporcello
Well, that went well. I must say that it has been fun removing interior trim pieces, door panels, etc. Everything has gone smoothly and I haven't broken anything yet. I wish working on the mechanics of the car were this easy.

The steering wheel came off simply by removing the two screws on the back of the wheel and the horn pad came off. Then there was a plastic nut on the wheel with a plunger that unscrewed by hand and pulled out (maybe something for the horn, I'm not sure). Then a nut holding the steering wheel on. It just pulled of an the new one went on easy.

Here are some photos:
Attachment 71500

Attachment 71501

Attachment 71502
This looks amazing and I appreciate you giving instructions on installation.

I am thinking of also purchasing a wood steering wheel from Myrtle. Do you mind giving an update on the durability of the finish? I saw another post here mention the finished cracked after less than a year/500km.

Would really appreciate your feedback on the product!

Old 07-03-2023, 07:36 AM
Default Still wouldn’t buy again

I still own the car, and the durability of mine didn’t get any worse….however the cracking of the finish so soon after I received it, and what I deem a totally insufficient answer in regards to their customer service, has resulted in me never purchasing a product from them again…..I have several Jaguars, and a wife who is happy to let me spend money on them as my hobby, and they have lost out on a repeat customer for sure. I have bought a lot of Jaguar related items over the years, and this is the only company I have dealt with that I would never do business with again.

Old 07-03-2023, 09:25 AM

Unfortunately, mine cracked too. It cracked on the back side within the first year. I did not attempt to contact them regarding replacement because I had read and heard that they did not do much if anything to rectify the situation just as 85V12JAG said. The crack bugs me when I feel it from the back while driving, but fortunately, it does not affect the look of the wheel and has not flaked or come off or gotten worse, just the split in the finish.

Old 07-03-2023, 12:44 PM
Received 174 Likes on 126 Posts

Mine also cracked. See photo.

I filled it with wood putty and no issues since, and that was five or six years ago.

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12

Old 07-03-2023, 01:12 PM
Default Thank you all!

The Jaguar community is amazing. I did not expect so many prompt responses from an old thread! Thank you all for sharing your experiences, super valuable input!

​​

Old 07-07-2023, 04:30 PM

some of these steering wheels are beautiful!

Old 07-12-2023, 08:58 AM
Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

just buy a nardi, they have a few nice wood options

The following 2 users liked this post by nickr76:
Doug (07-12-2023), Greg in France (07-12-2023)