XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

would this TSB be classified as a recall and do I have any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts
Default would this TSB be classified as a recall and do I have any recourse?

So after some wheeling and dealing with another Jag owner, I got my new clutch master cylinder installed. Not to bad except getting the bloody Clevis pin back in is no easy task!! You have to do a bit of an Olga korbut back bend, wriggle under the steering wheel with the handbrake poking you in the back and get your hand through a very small hole while lining up the clutch pedal with your nose!!! Lot's of fun

Anyway, after installation I started the bleeding process, all was going along well until I heard a pssssssss. Looked under the car and say a puddle of clutch fluid. Checked the master, checked the slave, no problems with either. Do it again and I notice a spurt of fluid arcing up over the engine!!

Turns out there is small hole in the flexible hose that goes to the slave Under pressure now as my club concours is this weekend, I frantically look around for a spare, not much doing but luckily Terry's had one in stock for $142 + $75 to overnight it to me.. Sheesh!!

While I was digging around looking for the hose online I came across this TSB https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ive-sleeve-pdf that clearly shows that Jaguar recognized the issue. My dealer never made the modification and I had all my service carried out there during the warranty period. My car only has 34,000 miles on the clock, what do you reckon are my chances to get reimbursed by Jaguar for the hose and shipping?

Cheers,

Allan

Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

No, a service action is not a recall. Its a repair that"IF" it becomes a problem, Jaguar(any manufacturer) wants it fixed with this proceedure and part. It is not a blanket do it to every car that comes in, only if it becomes a problem,. Its on your dime after the factory warranty expired

Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Oh well, it was worth a shout. Although the bulletin does say that ALL cars should have this mod made, even if there is no sign of chafing. Also on the last page it says claims should be submitted on a Recall Campaign Summary form. If you're are mandating the change for all cars, that sounds like a recall to me. So that's what got me thinking

Allan

Old 07-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
Turns out there is small hole in the flexible hose that goes to the slave Under pressure now as my club concours is this weekend, I frantically look around for a spare, not much doing but luckily Terry's had one in stock for $142 + $75 to overnight it to me.. Sheesh!!

A bit late to do any good but something to consider for the future.......

See if there's a tube/hose outfit in your neck o'the woods. This is the outfit I use in my area---only 20 minutes from where I work and about an hour from home:

Just Right Auto Repair: NW Tubes N Hoses

Places like this can be a really time and money saver. They can make up just about anything you can dream of.

For example, maybe three years ago I needed a clutch hose for (of all things) an XJ220. I knew I'd never find one one the shelf anywhere in the USA....at least not without hours of shopping/calling around and opening umpteen boxes trying to find a suitable match.

I took the old hose to these guys and they had me fixed up in 20 minutes for $40

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
AllanG (07-17-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member

Great suggestion Doug, looks like they would have been just the ticket. Not sure I have a place like that in my neck of the woods but I'll be on the lookout. I was just so pressed for time, I didn't feel I had an option except overnighting an OE hose.

Cheers,

Allan

Old 07-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
Oh well, it was worth a shout. Although the bulletin does say that ALL cars should have this mod made, even if there is no sign of chafing. Also on the last page it says claims should be submitted on a Recall Campaign Summary form. If you're are mandating the change for all cars, that sounds like a recall to me. So that's what got me thinking

Allan
yes theres differant wording depending. But they also usually included expiration dates too. But being that old I dont know for sure as Jaguar was differant back then and we only had a handfull of bulletins and recalls to deal with. Now its pages and pages of bulletins, service messages, etc.
I like dougs idea to oand have had that done locally here too. Especially on mine when a part is no longer avail or my cost is just to damn high