XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJ or XK

Old 01-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XJ or XK

Can't beleve that this is happening. Only casusally looking for my next Jag and came across this 92 XJS, conv, white/tan int, V12 with 60K miles and $7500.00 price tag. Which I think is an ok deal wouldn't say its great. Plus the car is only 20 miles from my house. Now like most of us if I was really serious in looking for a 92 XJS, conv with a v12 all I would be able to find is high milage overpriced cars 1000 plus miles away.

Hince the delima for around $8-10K am I better off with a nice XJS or a not so nice XK? My goal is to make this Jag my 60-80% of the time driver. I know that I don't have to decide anything, but I feel better when I have a plan. Really didn't want to start looking at cars till spring, very cold now.

Thanks
Wayne

Old 01-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Hince the delima for around $8-10K am I better off with a nice XJS or a not so nice XK?

Heh heh. Frying pan or the fire?

I can all-but-promise an 18 y/o XJS...even a really nice one....is gonna need some $$ spent on it right off the bat and will need some love and care even after the initial round of catch-up repairs. They CAN be reliable but it takes a bit of money and effort to make and keep them that way.

I can all-but-promise than a not-so-nice XK is gonna need some $$ spent on it right off the bat and will need some love and care even after the initial round of catch-up repairs. They CAN be reliable but it takes a bit of money and effort to make and keep them that way.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

First off I am assuming the mileage can be proven with kosher service records, and invoices; if it hasnt got that then forget it. However, if it has them, then with a mileage like that for an 18-year old convertible, it sounds like it has been a summer-only car, which is very advantageous, because body corrosion is the XJS achilles heal, unlike the later XK. The top will likely also be in better condition assuming it has been garaged.

If its only 20 miles away, I would certainly go and have a look at it, you don't have to buy it ! Doug is, however, right in that some spend is very likely to be needed bringing the car 'up to speed' so to speak. Unlike later Jaguars the XJS is not crammed with pesky electronics, although there are some of course, and is OK for DIY on many jobs. If it is to be your main car, then all the more caution is needed. If it was me, I would not want to use it in a Kansas winter, aren't they pretty bad ?