XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Buyers Guide

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJS Buyers Guide

I purchased the XJS Buyers Guide about a week ago. I thought the Guide was a little expensive for 12 pages but after looking through it I found it could help me save thousands by avoiding just a few of the pitfalls a novice buyer would fall prey to. The good news about 12 pages is that you can take it with you and inspect the car using the guide, That is what I did. First, sellers are liars. You are on your own. Every problem is small just a few dollars to fix. After looking at three cars, I found two that had wiring problems, rust and interior rot. The temptation is to overlook these problems as no big deal but when I looked at the prices to repair all these little pieces the numbers didn't add up. I gave up looking for the bargain and raised my price target to $8,000 to $10,000 and got lucky. I found a one owner who maintained the car at Jaguar with 98,000 miles. I went through each item and they all worked. Lines were good not leaks. Every piece of instrumentation worked (unlike the first 2). Bought the car. I know where the car is in the maintenance cycle. I can enjoy it. Glad I took to time to get the buyers guide.

The following 3 users liked this post by MLee:
Greg in France (04-05-2017), orangeblossom (04-05-2017), warrjon (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Good work and welcome to the XJS owners club.

You did the sensible thing and bought a good car. Most renovators delights are beyond economical repair and good for parts.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-20-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi MLee

Just out of interest, did your expensive buyers guide mention anything about making sure the Car is not over heating, with the Gauge never

moving over half way up.

Or if it does then 'Run Away!'

But I'm glad you've found a nice one, as there's Nothing more Expensive than a Cheap Jag@Doug.

How about some Pics?

Old 04-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Default Overheating

I am assuming you ran into the problem while inspecting the car. Whether you should buy it or not is another question. Yes, the guide did address this issue. First, ask the seller (Pinnochio) to let you take it to your mechanic. The reason I say this is that if the car checks out except for this issue it may be worth pursing further. Is it a sensor, a clogged radiator, thermostat or bad gauges? If you have a maintenance history you can see if the problem is a chronic recurring problem. (walk away). If you take it to a qualified mechanic it may be something simple and inexpensive. If it is more expensive and the car otherwise meets the other criteria the the cost of repair becomes a negotiation point.

If you don't want the hassle be patient, keep your
standards high and keep looking the right car for you. I will post some photos when my son comes by to help me. I'm old school. It was a challenge jsut to get on the forum.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,092 Likes on 5,355 Posts

Which buyers guide did you buy please?
And congratulations on buying a good car. VERY sensible to pass on the others.
greg

Old 04-06-2017, 09:29 AM

Greg,

The Buyer Guide is located on EBAY item number 222436824134. Mike

The following 2 users liked this post by MLee:
Greg in France (04-06-2017), orangeblossom (04-06-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:53 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been asked to post a few pages of the buyers guide however the whole guide is only 12 pages. I spent a lot of time planning the layout based on your inspection in sections so it will be a smooth, stress free event. Therefore not an inch of page space is wasted. The guide is packed with a plan of action that will give you clear instructions and the cost of so many parts as you inspect. There are other buying guides however, while inspecting the car, you will want to know what the cost to repair or replace the type of items that can quickly cost you an additional $2,000 to $3,000. Once you buy the car, its yours! It is nice to know prior to purchase what is ahead. The main thing to remember is this, (there is no such thing as a cheap XJS.)

In addition, you will get a 15% discount on all XJS parts throughout 2017. The guide is on sale at 50% off until the 29th. Buy here: How To Buy An XJS A PDF Buyers Guide | eBay