XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Convertible Quarter Window Operation

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XJS Convertible Quarter Window Operation

Does any XJS owner out there operate their rear quarter windows independently of the convertible top?

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

There is no capabiliy to do that on the car as it comes from the factory, but it is relatively easy to rig a switch to do it.

Whats the reasoning? Trying to get less wind noise? Im not sure it helps. I tried it (by pulling the down relays for both windows then lowering the top) and I didnt see/feel much difference, but feel free to try it.

orangeblossom (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts

A number of people have rigged up independent switches. You can also operate them fairly easily without pulling relays etc, by turning the hood switch above the pump 90 degrees to the manual position. Then the windows will work but not the hood. Remember there's an 8-second delay on the UP cycle.

Hope that helps

Paul

The following 3 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Jose Antonio Rincon (04-06-2020), orangeblossom (03-27-2016), XJS-XKR (02-25-2024)
Old 03-27-2016, 08:56 PM
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

What year? Factory on my 91 is if you hit the top switch (in Park, Parking Brake on) without first unlocking the hood, the back windows go down on their own...

Old 03-28-2016, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

That will work on all the factory convertibles. I've just never been convinced that it's a good idea to make the hood motor try and work against a locked hood.

Paul

Old 03-28-2016, 06:21 AM
Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ptjs1
That will work on all the factory convertibles. I've just never been convinced that it's a good idea to make the hood motor try and work against a locked hood.

Paul
I'm not convinced it is either, but it's certainly the opposite of "no factory capability to do that", and does not involve putting the top in manual mode and installing a separate switch. If you really wanted to, you could put the top in manual mode and use the switch that is already there... but I'm really not sure I see the point of lowering the rear windows separately at all...

Old 03-28-2016, 07:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Top Down Windows Up

Originally Posted by Sarc
There is no capabiliy to do that on the car as it comes from the factory, but it is relatively easy to rig a switch to do it.

Whats the reasoning? Trying to get less wind noise? Im not sure it helps. I tried it (by pulling the down relays for both windows then lowering the top) and I didnt see/feel much difference, but feel free to try it.
Hi Sarc, Actually the desire is to keep the windows up w/the top down on cooler days... XJSROOKIE

Old 03-28-2016, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

I prefer to have the hood down as much as possible. However, even with a deflector up for motorway journeys, the buffeting can become annoying. It definitely reduces the buffeting to use a wind deflector and have the rear windows in the up position.

PAul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
92/93 XJS (09-02-2023), XJS-XKR (02-25-2024)
Old 05-30-2016, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Rear wing windows won't go up or down

Hi Guys! I just brought my 1990 XJS V12 Convertible home and can't get the rear wing windows to go up or down. I even waited until the rag top pump quit its cycle. I think it is probably a fuse or relay as the wing motors were recently replaced. Where are the relays and fuses located on this car? Or, does anybody else have any suggestions? Top goes up and down great and I cant see any other switches that were added.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 374 Posts

IF YOU HAVE THE BOX and not the rear seat the motor and relays are in there.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:52 PM

Thanks so much. I'll check that out.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:59 PM
Cool Oil pressure Gauge not working???

Another stupid question...Where is the oil pressure sending unit located? My oil pressure gauge is non-functioning and I'd like to have it working. Are there any issues with the roller gauge itself (in the dash) not working?

Old 06-01-2016, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member

Terry,

I think you will find it more beneficial to start a new thread of your own relating to the oil pressure problem.

Cheers

Paul

Old 09-20-2022, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xjsrookie
Does any XJS owner out there operate their rear quarter windows independently of the convertible top?
Trying to get the rear quarter windows up on 1989 XJS convertible. I see a reference to a "manual switch" but have no idea where that is. Parking brake lever goes up and down but does not seem to pull a cable. May be broken. Need help on getting the two quarter windows up as easy as possible.
I hear the top motor run when I press the button, but don't want to be stuck with the top down as the car needs to be transported
Help?
ThanksMarty

Old 09-20-2022, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Marty,

A few different issues here:

- If you can hear the pump run when you activate the switch then the handbrake lever is fine. It doesn't actually need to activate the brakes before the hood can rise, it just needs the lever to move enough to activate the microswitch

- If the pump can run, then the hood up circuits are live. Remember that the windows will not start to rise until the switch has been held for 8 seconds

- If the pump or rams are faulty then you can turn the pump valve to manual and then just lift up the hood manually (It takes quite a bit of effort). The valve is one top of the pump and just needs to be turned 90 degrees.

- The windows only work electrically off the hood switch. There is only "manual" means to raise the windows.

Hope that helps

Paul

Old 09-21-2022, 05:16 PM

Marty,

A few different issues here:

- If you can hear the pump run when you activate the switch then the handbrake lever is fine. It doesn't actually need to activate the brakes before the hood can rise, it just needs the lever to move enough to activate the microswitch

- If the pump can run, then the hood up circuits are live. Remember that the windows will not start to rise until the switch has been held for 8 seconds

- If the pump or rams are faulty then you can turn the pump valve to manual and then just lift up the hood manually (It takes quite a bit of effort). The valve is one top of the pump and just needs to be turned 90 degrees.

- The windows only work electrically off the hood switch. There is only "manual" means to raise the windows.

Hope that helps

Paul

Paul,
Thank you for the insight.
Right now the top is up. So, is it ok to push the top switch to closed even though the top is closed for the 8 seconds to see if the rear quarter windows come up?
I don't know where the "pump valve" is so I could try and turn it to manual, but I don't think that would help me raise the windows?

Thank you again!
Marty

Old 09-21-2022, 06:43 PM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

The rear quarter windows can absolutely be modified to operate manually. I have done it to both my 94 and 95 XJS.

This mod allows one to raise/lower the rear windows manually (and not automatically when lowering/raising the convertible top). I used the switches and wiring from a 85 XJ6. The brown/blue wire from the front XJS window switch provided the power; the black wire the ground. The other 2 wires from the XJ6 switch go to the window motor. From the switch, I ran the two extra wires under the carpet and bottom seat cushion to the motor(s). I mounted the switches in front of the armrest cubby. The windows now work perfectly WHEN I want them to raise/lower them. I would not do a mod to my XKE, but the XJS is definitely not an E-Type!

PS Since the pic was made, I have refinished all my wood on the 95.

Richard

The following 2 users liked this post by benzjag:
Louie71 (02-23-2024), Marty_in_Mesa (09-21-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member

Marty,

A little bit of confusion perhaps?

It depends what you mean by "manual" operation. If you mean can the windows be electrically operated without the hood operating, yes there are 2 ways:

- You can wire up switches as Richard has described above
- You can leave the hood locked and then operate the hood switch. The windows will go down straight away. To raise them, hold the hood switch for 8 seconds, the windows will then rise. (To answer your question, yes, its fine to operate the hood switch with the hood already up, to get the windows to rise.)

You can also raise the windows with the hood already down, but you have to move the hood pump lever 90 degrees. The hood pump on your car as a 2-seater convertible is in the compartment behind the RH seat. The lever is on the top of the pump.

But, if you mean is there a way to operate the windows "manually", not electrically, ie with a ratchet or similar, No there is not. The window motor and regulator do not have the means to do that.

Hope that helps

Paul

92/93 XJS (09-23-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 07:36 AM

Marty,

A little bit of confusion perhaps?

It depends what you mean by "manual" operation. If you mean can the windows be electrically operated without the hood operating, yes there are 2 ways:

- You can wire up switches as Richard has described above
- You can leave the hood locked and then operate the hood switch. The windows will go down straight away. To raise them, hold the hood switch for 8 seconds, the windows will then rise. (To answer your question, yes, its fine to operate the hood switch with the hood already up, to get the windows to rise.)

You can also raise the windows with the hood already down, but you have to move the hood pump lever 90 degrees. The hood pump on your car as a 2-seater convertible is in the compartment behind the RH seat. The lever is on the top of the pump.

But, if you mean is there a way to operate the windows "manually", not electrically, ie with a ratchet or similar, No there is not. The window motor and regulator do not have the means to do that.

Hope that helps

Paul
So then just press and hold the hood button in the up position, with the hood locked for at least 8 seconds and the quarter windows should go up?

Thank you PaulMarty

Old 09-22-2022, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Marty,

Yes, that's correct

Paul

Quick Reply: XJS Convertible Quarter Window Operation