XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Xjs not running properly

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 04:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xjs not running properly

Hi all
Wondering if I could get some advise
I own a 85 xjs v12,it starts first time but won't idle properly although you can keep it running, if it stalls or you turn it off you then can't start it again and it doesn't matter if you run it for 1 minute or 10
Any help appreciated
Cheers Scott

Old 08-27-2014, 05:39 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Hi Scott,welcome to the forum.
When you get a minute post a welcome thread in the new member area.

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

You will receive a warm welcome, and you will find plenty of help here in the XJS forum.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Welcome to Jaguar Forums

Welcome Scott ... and greetings as a fellow Jaguar fan in NSW;

+1 to Clarke's advice to visit and post an intro in the New Members area.

When you get time, please drop into the NSW&ACT section using the link in my sig to say "Hi" to all the rest of our crew here; then note from our roll call thread that I have added you to the NSW&ACT Membership List.
Best wishes with your XJS and I look forward to catching up,
Ken

Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Scott,

Caught you in the new members area.

The list here is loooooong, and here are some pre checks that do eliminate a lot of guess work and best of all cost ZERO.

1) Throttle discs are badly gunked up. Solvent soaked rag, air filters out, wipe them till they shine.
2) Fuel pump is getting old, and simply not keeping up.
3) Fuel filter is OLD.
4) The small fuel tank (sump tank) under the battery is full of crud. More common that a pie with sauce.
5) The largish fuel hose from the main tank that gravity feeds fuel TO the sump tank is clogged with crud from the main tank internals. Same common as above.
6) Spark plugs are old, and/or gapped incorrectly.
7) TPS is going flaky. Old age here, and some specific testing required that can be explained when needed seperately.
8) CTS (Coolant Temp Sensor), located on the rear of the LH thermostat housing is giving a screwy signal to the ECU. This sensor is a PRIME requirement for this engine to run.
9) The vac signal hose FROM the engine balance pipe TO the ECU in the boot is blocked, or split. They are common to split at the ECU connector, and either will reek havoc.
10) The carbon contact brush, up inside the distributor cap is worn away. Seen 5 of that one over the years.
11) The ignition coils are OLD, and that can give issues.

I'll stop there for fear of scaring you into a serious JD session.

It will be sorted, trust me.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Welcome again Scott, and thanks for calling by from the XJS forum;

Having found both the XJS forum as the focus for great resources and help with technical queries about your Jaguar; and now your NSW&ACT regional forum to keep track of local happenings, local suppliers, and fellow members; May I offer a few final suggestions ...
  • open the [User CP] menu, then drop to [Edit Signature] to add car year, model, variant and any other details that will ensure that all future posts receive accurate advice;
  • you may elect to add a pic or logo by using (Edit Avatar].
I have added your details to our NSW&ACT Membership List, as you will find on our roll call sticky thread at the top of this regional forum.
All that remains Scott, is for you to dive in ... and enjoy.
Ken

Old 08-27-2014, 07:45 PM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi Scott,

You wont beat Grant's list for advice but if it helps I recently had a very similar problem on my 85 V12. Just after sorting the dist. cap, plugs and HT leads - ignition was all hunky doory. It turned out to be clogged fuel lines. Both tanks had serious corrosion which in turn choked the pump and blocked the filter. It was not at all obvious and I had to use a telescopic camera to ping it.

The solution? I stripped out the tanks and had them Re-nu'd, a couple of fuel filters a new pump. Quick flush and she is running sweet as a nut, total bill was £500 doing the labour myself.

Good luck!