XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS rear window seal / install trouble

Old 11-16-2016, 10:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJS rear window seal / install trouble

I have a new URO gasket/seal and it does not accept the stainless trim as it should I understand the "how" but it seams the seal is to thick even when i use a dull putty knife to push seal into stainless. And any idea on how to install the second corner piece? I had a glass shop try and they also could not get trim to stay after 5 hours. Trim looks to be in great shape and seal was brand new URO part. Ive read most other articles on topic. Any advise or help? Is the URO seal just bad and i need to try and order another? (it came with car new in package...i removed rear window, cleaned off horrible seal job...etc. Trim was in trunk. )

Old 11-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

All I can say is that I installed URO seal and had the same problem. Trim did not sit well so I ended-up taking top part and corners off for fear of loosing it while driving. Seal itself does not sit well on the glass either. It is separated from the glass on both sides, so I am in search of another brand seal that is hopefully better.

I also used URO seal on the front - that one is ok, but I think mostly because trim is held in place by screws.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

This is a common issue, as the new window seals are not identical. I went through 2 seals before I found one that fit to my satisfaction.

I sealed the rear window with polyurethane window sealant, the stuff they use on bonded windscreens. I would not use mastic to seal the window in. Windscreens OBrien used mastic on my front and it's leaking again. My rear that I installed with the Polyurethane sealant is still water tight after 5 years

Test fit the chrome and trim the window rubber until it fits to your satisfaction then use the same PU sealant to glue the chrome trim to the rubber.

Old 11-25-2016, 04:10 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

I installed the seal on the glass, then using a bit of dish soap installed the trim. Then placed the whole assembly in

Old 11-25-2016, 06:28 AM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I beleive that you should install the trim into the seal before fitting the complete assembly into the car. You dont say if you are trying to fit the trim before or after fitting into the car

Old 04-23-2021, 02:05 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had the URO seal installed and went to look at it, looks like the right and left top corners are pushed out like 1/4 inch. Be surprised if it was water tight, I can push the glass down that far. What is the trick? Anyone have a video?