XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS Seat Extenders

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:38 PM
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default XJS Seat Extenders

I am 6' 2" and when I bought my 95 in 2004, I lived between Hilton Head Island, SC and Greenwich, CT. A 14 hour drive ea. way and after driving a couple of hours, my right knee was practically crippled. Of my 9 cars, my XJS's were my favorite to drive. I suffered for several trips until I came up with an idea to make some extenders in order to gain additional legroom.

After much thought and measuring to get a perfect fit, I succeeded and my longs trips were never the same again. I removed my rear seat and built a storage cabinet as in the pre-face lift cars to get a total of an additional 6" of additional legroom. If you do not remove the rear seat, you will still get up to an additional 4". This may not sound like much of an improvement but it is the difference between pain, cramps, severe discomfort and an enjoyable journey.

I have mentioned this to others and they have expressed interest in acquiring these extenders. Therefore I am seeking others to who may be interested in these. I am seeking a minimum of 20 people who will order these so I can produce them. They are easy to install. Just remove your seats, bolt the extenders to the floor in the same holes that your seat rail bolts in with the bolts supplied then bolt the seat rail to the extenders then enjoy the ride. Price $125 for the set. Please send your request to: parts@classiccargarage.net

Last edited by xjsparts; 05-12-2017 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
perezal (05-12-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 10:50 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I am 6'1" and have been thinking about this for a while now and how to approach it. I also feel like the seats sit too low, at least for me it is a constant little source of annoyance. I would like to extend the seats further back AND have them sit at least 1" higher, preferable 2" if your rails could provide BOTH of those I would gladly buy a set from you!

Old 05-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Banned

First I thank you for your interest. The extenders will increase the overall height around an 1" and you will find that it should be sufficient. Of course you must take into account the variations in body dimensions ie. torso vs leg length. With me my head is very close to the head liner with my seat adjusted for performance driving. Tall drivers tend to recline the seat more to compensate for leg/knee discomfort. So with the extenders in place, all extremities will feel better and your driving the XJS will be much more enjoyable! Remember my trips were 14 hrs long and only stopping for fuel and the restroom. If you look at my add in the vendor directory, you are looking at my 95. I ask that you pass this info onto any other tall XJS drivers you may know so I can collect enough request to fill the order.

Thanks,

LeRoy

Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, I came onto this site looking to see if anyone had extended their seats. Im 6' 4" and feel your pain. I am definitely interested in a set.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:26 AM

Exactly! I would love to buy a set from you, however I do not know anyone local or otherwise who I could say for certain that would want a set, so if you don't want to go ahead with have them made I might have a local machinist (former boss) make me a set.
I know you wouldn't have trouble selling them, so I encourage you to go ahead and have them made (people often don't know what they want/need until they see it!) Haha. Glad to know I am not alone in thinking about making this kind of modification!

Old 05-18-2017, 06:11 PM
Banned

I am for sure having them made as I have been hearing from people from some of the other places I have been advertising so I am now ready to have them reproduced. When I had mine made, it cost me around $600 for time and material and sorting out all the logistics to make it work well. So my plan is to help as many people as possible by using my template. Please email your order to parts@classiccargarage.net So I can send you an invoice.

Thanks,

LeRoy

Old 05-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Banned

Thanks for your interest. My pain ended after installing the extenders and for the past 10 years, I truly enjoy driving my XJS. And the great part is this. What I came up with is easy to install and does not require any modification to the car. Please send your request to me at, parts@classiccargarage.net then I will send you a paypal invoice for your order.

Thanks,

LeRoy

Old 09-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Received 282 Likes on 182 Posts

I know its an old thread, but I was wondering if you are still selling these? Do they work in a xjs convertible?

Old 09-08-2018, 07:51 PM
Default Yes

Yes, and he has his own business and website now.
Here's here's a link specifically for the seat extenders on his website. I have purchased a pair and for someone as tall and long leg as I am it completely changed the comfort level for me in my 1996 convertible.
https://jagxjsparts.com/seat-parts/seat-extender-package/

The following users liked this post:
Fla Steve (09-08-2018)
Old 09-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Benj628
Yes, and he has his own business and website now.
Here's here's a link specifically for the seat extenders on his website. I have purchased a pair and for someone as tall and long leg as I am it completely changed the comfort level for me in my 1996 convertible.
https://jagxjsparts.com/seat-parts/s...ender-package/
This link leads to a set for $325. Are these the same that were offered by xjsparts before at $125 before?

Old 09-09-2018, 04:15 AM
Received 282 Likes on 182 Posts

Ok thanks for the reply, I was wondering the same thing about the price, but I'm sure its a supply and demand type thing. Lol. I was reading more and saw that you lose an inch of headroom, this might not be for me afterall, but lets face it, at about 6'6ish and 355, the jag really wasnt designed for me lol. I haven't even got to drive it yet, I bought it in a "no start" situation. We'll see how it goes. Thanks