XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Hydraulic fluid, where did it go.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:28 AM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Hydraulic fluid, where did it go.

Filled up the convertible top pump and it leaked out somewhere but where. No visabel fluid anywhere and none on the ground. 2 quarts somewhere in the car.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:07 AM
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

The only places it could go are at the two hydraulic actuators found behind the trim panels enclosing the window motors or at or under the pump body itself. Other possibilities but not likely are ruptured lines somewhere between the pump and the actuators. They are made of hard plastic. First place to look is under the pump. Feel the tray for oil. I don't know if there is a drain hole and hose on the tray but if so, it could be dripping out of that so it won't fill the tray with fluid if the pump leaks.
When I bought my car, the top did not go down . Found the reservoir empty. I'm pretty sure the pump has a small leak and will drain out overtime. One of these days I'll get a rebuild kit for it. In the meantime, I have been using the hydraulic manifold override and putting the top down manually. I just have to hold the top up switch for a few seconds after putting the top up by hand until the time delay kicks in for the rear quarter windows to go up.

The following users liked this post:
macdoesit (09-06-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 05:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by carsnplanes
The only places it could go are at the two hydraulic actuators found behind the trim panels enclosing the window motors or at or under the pump body itself. Other possibilities but not likely are ruptured lines somewhere between the pump and the actuators. They are made of hard plastic. First place to look is under the pump. Feel the tray for oil. I don't know if there is a drain hole and hose on the tray but if so, it could be dripping out of that so it won't fill the tray with fluid if the pump leaks.
When I bought my car, the top did not go down . Found the reservoir empty. I'm pretty sure the pump has a small leak and will drain out overtime. One of these days I'll get a rebuild kit for it. In the meantime, I have been using the hydraulic manifold override and putting the top down manually. I just have to hold the top up switch for a few seconds after putting the top up by hand until the time delay kicks in for the rear quarter windows to go up.
Nothing under pump. The fluid was empty after top raised one time.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

When my cylinder leaked it drained out through the rear seat seatbelt anchor bolt and left a puddle on the floor.

macdoesit (09-06-2018)
Old 09-04-2018, 02:19 PM

You may have filled it up the reservoir but that may have only been enough to fill the lines and the two actuators when you operated the top once. Probably if you top off the reservoir now, the total system will be filled. If you had to fill it up at all, you probably have a slow leak somewhere. Most probably the pump...but then you said it was dry under the pump motor area. If it empties out again, I would then take a look at each actuator found behind the trim panel where the rear speakers are located. Look under the actuators for oil residue and leaks.

macdoesit (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 07:18 AM
Banned

You may have filled it up the reservoir but that may have only been enough to fill the lines and the two actuators when you operated the top once. Probably if you top off the reservoir now, the total system will be filled. If you had to fill it up at all, you probably have a slow leak somewhere. Most probably the pump...but then you said it was dry under the pump motor area. If it empties out again, I would then take a look at each actuator found behind the trim panel where the rear speakers are located. Look under the actuators for oil residue and leaks.
How much fluid does system hold, This was a couple years ago. I must have operated it more than once because I remember filling the reservoir 2 times and it emptied 2 times.I could not find any fluid anywhere in the car or on the floor. It has been 2 years and still no fluid anywhere.

Last edited by macdoesit; 09-05-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by macdoesit
How much fluid does system hold, This was a couple years ago. I must have operated it more than once because I remember filling the reservoir 2 times and it emptied 2 times.I could not find any fluid anywhere in the car or on the floor. It has been 2 years and still no fluid anywhere.
Not sure exactly the stated amount but if you only topped off the reservoir, chances are the rest of the fluid had not migrated to the other areas of the system like filling all the lines and the two actuators. They are quite large. Fill and operate, fill and operate. Because the reservoir is higher than the lines and the two actuators, the system is self bleeding. Just keep operating it until the reservoir level does not go down anymore, then top off to the fill line. Then keep an eye on the level for any changes. If under the pump is dry and you are still losing fluid, then suspect the actuators, or a line somewhere.

macdoesit (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 01:34 PM
Banned

Not sure exactly the stated amount but if you only topped off the reservoir, chances are the rest of the fluid had not migrated to the other areas of the system like filling all the lines and the two actuators. They are quite large. Fill and operate, fill and operate. Because the reservoir is higher than the lines and the two actuators, the system is self bleeding. Just keep operating it until the reservoir level does not go down anymore, then top off to the fill line. Then keep an eye on the level for any changes. If under the pump is dry and you are still losing fluid, then suspect the actuators, or a line somewhere.
Okay, I went out and kept putting in fluid and operating pump, I now have 6 quarts of fluid and reservoir is empty and still no fluid to be seen anywhere.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by macdoesit
Okay, I went out and kept putting in fluid and operating pump, I now have 6 quarts of fluid and reservoir is empty and still no fluid to be seen anywhere.
Pull up your back seat for a start. If one or both of the actuators are leaking, you should see fluid by the rear seat belt bolts at the bottom of the trim panel that holds the speakers. It's gotta be coming out from somewhere. It's only the pump, lines and actuators.

macdoesit (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 04:50 AM
Banned

Pull up your back seat for a start. If one or both of the actuators are leaking, you should see fluid by the rear seat belt bolts at the bottom of the trim panel that holds the speakers. It's gotta be coming out from somewhere. It's only the pump, lines and actuators.
No fluid there. Could it be going down into the side panels ?

Old 09-06-2018, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,915 Likes on 1,666 Posts

If it is it will save you having to Waxoyl it!

Old 09-06-2018, 08:12 AM

The floor under the rear seat has a foam sound deadener material that lines it, sits on top of the deck under the seat bottom. If the fluid if leaking form the actuator it will of course drip down the length of the actuator because the sliding piston rod bore is on top, meaning the actuator body is on bottom and exposed rod is on top. If the shaft seal is leaking, it will leak from the upper part of the actuator and leak down the body of the actuator down towards the seat deck. You might find fluid under the sound deadner material if you pull it up.

macdoesit (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Banned

The floor under the rear seat has a foam sound deadener material that lines it, sits on top of the deck under the seat bottom. If the fluid if leaking form the actuator it will of course drip down the length of the actuator because the sliding piston rod bore is on top, meaning the actuator body is on bottom and exposed rod is on top. If the shaft seal is leaking, it will leak from the upper part of the actuator and leak down the body of the actuator down towards the seat deck. You might find fluid under the sound deadner material if you pull it up.
Already checked, nothing there. Nowhere on interior floor or trunk floor of car.
Thank you carsnplanes, will let you know where I find it.

Last edited by macdoesit; 09-06-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:03 AM
Banned

Next project to fix antenna and install trunk spoiler.