XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

XJS: is it a wise purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 04:21 PM
Received 43 Likes on 10 Posts

I opened a new thread when I bought the car and I completely forgot about this one.
I carefully read (and learned) all your wise and useful advice, I did proper homework by learning absolutely everything about the car, I took the patience to see some units while keeping my emotions under control so I would not jump onto the first I saw, and all that paid off extraordinarily well.
After seeing some units that looked great but had problems (well hidden, but here is where my homework paid off), I was about to give up. And out of nowhere, I found a straight six 1995 XJS blue with cream leather with only 60.000 km (approx 40.000 miles), extremely well maintained and at a price so good that I suspected there had to be hidden surprises. But I could not find anything suspicious. When it comes to the mileage, all the legal documents proved that it was real but I was still suspicious. So I focused on the shape of the leather seats (not cracked at all and almost brand new), the top was also like new, and the final push were the tires: they looked almost new, but the manufacturing date shown at the side of the tires showed that they had been manufactured almost ten years ago. That was the definite proof that this car had moved barely 1000 miles per year.
Those classic Jaguar experts in my hometown of Barcelona checked the car almost screw by screw and confirmed me that the mileage was real and that the car was in such a great shape that nothing needed to be done except changing fluids and filters. We paid special attention to those things that deteriorate when a car has not moved in a long time, replaced tires, fan belts, spark plugs and other things that need to be changed regularly in any car. Just in case we cleaned the radiator and coolant circuit and also replace all the coolant and fuel hoses because the rubber was 25 years old. They were in good shape but you never know.
The car has been with me one year, it runs like a dream and I DO NOT have any intention of selling it. I am extremely happy of my "crazy decision" to buy an XJS, I enjoy it to the fullest, and I think that the car is also very happy, because she has ended up in the hands of a Jaguar lover who will give her the care that she deserves.
Once again, I thank you a milion times for your extremely useful and kind advice.

Last edited by santi; 01-11-2021 at 04:30 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by santi:
3Jaguars (01-14-2021), eurolat (01-15-2021), Flint Ironstag (01-11-2021), Greg in France (01-12-2021), Mkii250 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 04:28 PM
Received 92 Likes on 46 Posts

Beautiful! So glad you found your Big Cat and I think you'll have plenty of miles of happy motoring to look forward to. I've only had mine for 7 months but after I got the AC sorted I've had nothing to complain about and I drive her almost every day. Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by bigcatrescue:
Greg in France (01-14-2021), Mkii250 (01-14-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Six cylinder engines never seem hard to find, and given that the XJ-S is a heavy car, I think that the six will just give mediocre performance. On the other hand, I would think it's much easier to work on/take care of. Having said all that, I've only owned the 5.3 V-12, so my firsthand knowledge of the six is zero

... How would you know that "the six will just give mediocre performance" if ..."my firsthand knowledge of the six is zero"?

John
1987 XJ-S V12[/QUOTE]

Old 01-14-2021, 05:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, do not know why but I lost my reaction here.

I do not think that 6 cyl. are by any means mediocre performers, why? They are actually quite good in part because of the manual or ZF auto, which is far superior to the three speed auto.

Manual V12 and 4L80E are fabulous performers too, but in 3 speed form they are not as involving to drive as the majority of Manual and ZF 6 cylinder cars and I even dare say quick.

It's good to know that 6 can be a very different car depending on version.

- the Lucas EMS (pre 1988, vacuum controlled) engines have an aggressive cam profile, idle is an issue (I have one..., yes even with the potentiometer correction) but un-cat and manual they make really quick cars.
- 3.6 and 4.0 with the excellent XJ40 EMS are smooth, reliable and have less aggressive cam profiles. I like them a lot and I think I could work on them blindfolded, they are to me the easiest to understand, but some may find them less "raw" than the original 3.6
- 4.0 AJ16 is a dream of smoothness and managed to get rid of many ancillaries, having a very clean engine installation. Some dislike the complexity of the EMS distributor ignition triggers. By far the best 6cyl IMHO.

V12 in Manual version or 6.0 4L80E Auto are a dream to drive, for sure, but some markets due to tax and fuel prices have put them down severely in price. This is very different in the US I think.

The following 2 users liked this post by gimenofl:
Doug (01-14-2021), Mkii250 (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

Over the 20+ years there were a number of XJS build configurations. If you look at the full range you'll see as much as 600-700 pounds difference in curb weight, axle ratios from 2.88 to 3.54, manual and automatic transmissions, horsepower rating from (something like) 220 to just over 300. As as result there's quite a spread in on-the-road performance characteristics.

The 6 cylinder cars were very good performers which, in many cases, out-accelerated the V12 cars up to abut 50 mph or sometimes even more. Even as a die-hard V12 enthusiast I love to someday own a nice 6-cylinder XJS....of certain specification.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
gimenofl (01-14-2021), Mkii250 (01-14-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 04:45 PM
Received 43 Likes on 10 Posts

I also had the doubt between V12 and straight six, but in the end I adopted the sacred rule of "good shape and prior maintenance is much more important than number of cylinders". And the six is the one I got.
Good or bad performer is pretty relative, and in my case, I did not buy the car to make races but to enjoy it. Also, due to their own structure convertibles are not the most advisable option to push the limits on roads with curves. It is definitely not an "explosive" engine, but it has more than enough power for a normal driving. The advantages are also simplicity of repairs, moderate fuel consumption, and the fact that this AJ16 engine is considered very reliable. Those Jaguar experts in my hometown told me that the last V12 6.0 liter is also a very reliable engine, but when something goes wrong, it goes VERY wrong.
Once again, if I had found a V12 in excellent shape at a reasonable price I would have bought it. But I found a straight six and I do not regret it at all.

The following 3 users liked this post by santi:
Bez74 (01-18-2021), Greg in France (01-17-2021), Mkii250 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 06:05 PM
Banned
Received 260 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by santi
I also had the doubt between V12 and straight six, but in the end I adopted the sacred rule of "good shape and prior maintenance is much more important than number of cylinders". And the six is the one I got.
Good or bad performer is pretty relative, and in my case, I did not buy the car to make races but to enjoy it. Also, due to their own structure convertibles are not the most advisable option to push the limits on roads with curves. It is definitely not an "explosive" engine, but it has more than enough power for a normal driving. The advantages are also simplicity of repairs, moderate fuel consumption, and the fact that this AJ16 engine is considered very reliable. Those Jaguar experts in my hometown told me that the last V12 6.0 liter is also a very reliable engine, but when something goes wrong, it goes VERY wrong.
Once again, if I had found a V12 in excellent shape at a reasonable price I would have bought it. But I found a straight six and I do not regret it at all.
the convertibles are the best looking.

Old 01-17-2021, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by macdoesit
the convertibles are the best looking.
No, they aren't.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 11:02 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the XJ-SC with the rear hard top on is the best looking. I am also a huge fan of the Eventer.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stephenniz
I think the XJ-SC with the rear hard top on is the best looking. I am also a huge fan of the Eventer.
I have a soft spot for those too...but the facelift has MUCH BETTER REAR LIGHTS. (Don't tell anyone I said that). (And side windows). (And the lovely Pininfarina-esque scooped out rocker panels).

Old 02-07-2021, 05:45 AM
Received 63 Likes on 41 Posts

All,

First Santi - thanks for the thread about your search and buying experience. I too own an X-358 (actually X-356, 05 Super V8), that is my dream car. I bought it and through experience learned the true importance of buying one that has been properly maintained. Mine has had no difficult surprises, just neglected maintenance, which in the end as we all know costs more than finding one "already fixed".

So I'm looking for an XJS now and the rule of properly loved, over specification will be applied to the fullest.

And just to state preference, the convertibles are beautiful, but to me an XJS is about the rear wings, I still remember the exact place I first time I saw one - Just like the first time I saw an XJ6. a doctor at the hospital where I worked had one, 1978, black on black. It was cool then and it's still cool now.

So while I'd love to have a V12 early version coupe, my practical side says 4.0L 90's onward, preferably manual. We'll see.

The following 2 users liked this post by RoadMaster2:
Grant Francis (02-07-2021), Mkii250 (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Only 93 manual 4.0 coupés sold in North America 😬.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

And here's a new car show from Hagerty, in which a fashion designer says what some of us have been saying for 35 year!! LOL

Old 02-07-2021, 11:31 AM

No wonder with less than 100 4.0L manual cars in North America I didn't see any in my early search.

Thanks for sharing that YT video. I guess I'll buy one cheap and wait a year 2 and sell it to a high maintenance Valley Girl, then buy the one I really want. LOL.

Anyway on auto trader there is a 1990 red coupe V12 converted to a 5 speed manual with all new everything (hoses, wires gearbox , etc...) for $29,500. Given what's been done to that car the price is reasonable. That's not in my budget and I must say my overall negative view of the V12, conditioned by YEARS of negative hearsay, makes me too leery to buy one despite the now positive talk by experts here.

The main thing for me is I want to drive the cars, so they need to work, and preferably out of the box. Like I took the XJ out in 15 degree temp this morning and had a nice spin enjoying the sun, snow, and my pleasant, quiet, and smooth as silk power house. There is almost nothing better.

The Jaguar bug is a terrible thing!

Mkii250 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 12:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XJS Celebration 1996 4L (Canada)

The following 2 users liked this post by stpierrema:
Mkii250 (02-10-2021), RoadMaster2 (02-08-2021)
Old 02-08-2021, 05:29 PM

Well - those pictures make me think a convertible might not be so bad after all!

That 96 Celebration is certainly one of the nicest and perhaps the very best I've seen so far. WOW.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Santi very nice car! I am looking for a 95

Old 02-09-2021, 06:52 AM

Thanks. This car has been very weel kept. Always garaged. 46K. only. A charm to drive.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Santi very nice car! I am looking from Madrid and looking for a 95 or 96 Xjs convertible. In Spain few affordable options, so I am basically searching in EU and USA as I have a friend who is returning to Spain and export costs will be significantly lower in the US case.

Hope to see you and share knowledge/issues about the cars soon!

Old 02-09-2021, 07:41 AM

Hi Mike. There are quite a few for sale in the US. Not much in Canada. And the price may vary a lot because of condition. I just bought that one from US. And among about 30 cars for sale, I picked this one because it as always been weel maintained, CarFax Ok. Bought from a Lotus dealer. So he had no interest losing is name for a 20K car when selling over 100K cars...

I had a very good experience buying that even though it's the first time I buy a car without tring it...
Of course, I paid a good price, but I think I also bought the peace of mind.

By the way, would you speek french?

Mkii250 (02-10-2021)

Quick Reply: XJS: is it a wise purchase?