Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,133 Likes on 3,380 Posts

tnt10,

Sorry for the delay in posting the following pix:

Cover for battery remote access +terminal in left fender:

Note the black quick connect wire running from under the luggage panel floor to the remote access panel.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick connect + lead alligator clip attached to the remote access +terminal:

The quick connect - lead alligator clip is attached to the -remote terminal in the spare wheel well:

Quick connect leads connected together in the trunk:

Trunk lid closes over the wire with no problems:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Stuart

The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart S:
DGL (12-29-2012), gjjaguar (11-23-2013), Ironical (09-26-2022), tnt10 (06-13-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Great write up!
Question:
When you lock the car with the remote, do you hit lock button on the smart key once or twice or do you lock it from the drivers door handle button?
Thanks!

Old 11-24-2012, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hawaii
Great write up!
Question:
When you lock the car with the remote, do you hit lock button on the smart key once or twice or do you lock it from the drivers door handle button?
Thanks!
Twice, either way (key or either door button), so the sounder beeps.

Stuart

Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another option for trickle charging

Guys,
I had a similar problem, when my 2007 XK had an electrical fault and the battery drained completly over a 2 week period. I was unable to lock the car in the garage as the fault prevented it being locked. - that's a long story, so to the fix.
Having previously owning a canal boat I had used a solar powered charger to keep the batteries on that up to full charge, and could leave them for a couple of months,(the winters are cold here!).
I bought a solar charger for about £10, that's about $16 today, plus postage. I ran a wire from the battery terminals in the boot,(trunk USA), through to the rear internal fuse box, and forward the the centre console. I zip-tied the new cable to the existing ones, you might be able to see it if you blow the pic up. Removing the rubber liner gives access to the centre tunnel wiring. My solar panel connects to that plug and rests on the centre console or dash, and I have left it for 3 weeks with full charge being held for that time. I also clean cut another plug off one of the other leads to use as a blanking plug when not in use, so as to make no short circuits to the battery. I didn't use the cigar lighter socket because as you all know some cigar lighters are not live when the car is left locked and the key not nearby. I have since found the one in the glove box, is that always live? I don't know, but if it is then all my wiring was in vain, I was new to the car at the time. I have attached some pics of the installation, the red insulating tape just identifies the +ve terminal for my own satisfaction. By the way the rear panels come off easily, the one on the back seat needs pulling out at the top, before pushing in an upwards direction to remove it. The one behind the centre console is a straight pull upwards. Access to the battery is via the rear panel in the boot/trunk, and is accessed by removing 4 plastic locking bolts. Turn them anti-clockwise.
Hope this helps, try ebay for the solar charger.

Attached Thumbnails Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-solar-charger.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-entry-centre-console.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-ready-connect.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-wire-boot-trunk.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-connected-working.jpg  

Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-spare-blank-plug.jpg   Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?-wiring-via-rear-panel.jpg  

Last edited by scousegeezer; 12-01-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Scousegeezer,

Great option if you don't have access to AC, with an excellent write-up and pix!

My only concern is to make sure that the solar charger has circuitry similar to my Battery Minder Plus that prevents overcharging, as one that I saw on eBay for US$25 didn't mention that feature. However, another more expensive one for US$48 claimed to have that circuitry.

Stuart

Old 12-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stuart S,
thanks for your comments. Yes the Solar Charger I bought cannot overcharge. Forgot to mention that, and its always in the car behind the front seats. Let's face it even my small grandkids have troube fitting in the back so it's not in the way, and takes 2 minutes to fit. I was away in the highlands of Scotland a month ago and left the car parked up, whilst using the daughters BMW. (I know - no taste). Anyway I left the charger on just in case - no probs.
By the way driving up there in the XK is great!!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts
Default Boosting from back terminals

When I picked up my 2011 XKR 175 it was setting for some time and needed to be boosted to start. I tried to boost it from the back terminals as described in the Owners Manual (using the terminals displayed in this thread with no avail). So, I went direct to the battery terminals and boosted with no problem.

Why would the terminals shown in this thread not work to boost the car? The connections were done properly. The lights never even came on after pressing the start/stop.

Last edited by DGL; 12-29-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

This fall I was traveling on a month-long trip. Tested a new Battery Tender. At that time, I was unaware that there is a parasitic battery drain if the car is left unlocked. Overnight in my little test the Battery Tender was still fully engaged and was quite warm. Perhaps it had reached full charge sometime during the night, but nevertheless it was charging in the morning.
I was reluctant to leave the Battery Charger unattended and connected because of this heat issue.
My neighbor's XK8 had a battery fire that arose mysteriously when the car was unattended. I never learned the exact cause of the fire, but the car and most of the home were destroyed.
The safer course was just to disconnect the negative battery lead, which I did. On return from travel, the only thing I had to reset was the clock.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

The easiest way to connect a charger is to add a pig tail directly to the bat. terminals;
Battery tender includes pig tails...............replace battery cover and leave the pigtail
hanging out on truck floor and use the attached cover plug when driving.
Very quick and simple to use; just plug charger in, no messing with panels or truck floor; I do leave truck lid open about an inch with my tool bag so as to not pinch the wires. Yes, I do carry a small tool bag based on 50+ years of Jaguar ownership!!

Hope this helps, Adrian

The following users liked this post:
gjjaguar (11-23-2013)
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

FWIW, my dealer told me that I can connect the negative lead to the post that's in the same area as the positive post. It's very easy to see as it's the first thing you see when you take the cover off. I think it holds one of the rear lights.

The following users liked this post:
gjjaguar (11-23-2013)
Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by britannia
The easiest way to connect a charger is to add a pig tail directly to the bat. terminals;
Battery tender includes pig tails...............replace battery cover and leave the pigtail
hanging out on truck floor and use the attached cover plug when driving.
Very quick and simple to use; just plug charger in, no messing with panels or truck floor; I do leave truck lid open about an inch with my tool bag so as to not pinch the wires. Yes, I do carry a small tool bag based on 50+ years of Jaguar ownership!!

Hope this helps, Adrian
What's in your tool bag? What do you recommend for a 2011 XKR? Cheers...

Old 01-13-2013, 09:38 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

I bought an optimate 6 battery charger/maintainer for maintaining my battery in my 2011 XKR. With the battery connected on the car the maintainer keeps going into charge indicating a small battery drain. With the battery disconnected from the car the maintainer shows a fully charged battery in perfect condition. I tried the maintainer on my 2011 Infiniti G37 with the battery connected to the car and the result is "fully charged" with no battery drain. You should be able to park any car without needing to maintain the battery for at least a month. I had the doors locked and the keys far away from the car. I've read about Jaguar's having an unusually high battery drain relative to other can brands. Since I bought my car I only had to boost it when I picked it up after setting for a month. I did get the low battery warning when I was setting my vehicle preferences with the car not started a couple of times. The optimat 6 battery charger/maintainer is very intelligent and the best of quality. I believe my experience is normal for this car. What do you think?

Last edited by DGL; 01-13-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Tip for shutting off trunk lights while charging battery:

Trip trunk latch by pushing up with side of screwdriver. After charging remember to push
trunk release before shutting trunk.

The following 3 users liked this post by jleuz1:
gjjaguar (11-23-2013), sherbercars (11-01-2013), waldo (08-20-2022)
Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't think the cigarette lighter socket is an option on these cars (at least my 2010), because it's not "live" with the ignition off except for about 30-60 seconds after you open the door.....?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce M.
I don't think the cigarette lighter socket is an option on these cars (at least my 2010), because it's not "live" with the ignition off except for about 30-60 seconds after you open the door.....?
Correct, also for 2007-2009.

Stuart

Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

hmmm, we will have to agree, to disagree.
I have purposely put a cut off switch on my battery terminal such that I can "disconnect" the circuit for long lay ups.
As for the reprogramming, its a minor nuisance. But I do like the fact that a complete system reset occurs periodically.

Cheers to all.
Guy.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Originally Posted by tnt10
Just replaced my battery today, and want to keep it in order.
Just read about the Ctek battery charger. Looks like this would be a good idea, since I drive this car mainly on weekends, and sometimes every other weekend. I also take a month long vacation yearly, so the car would be sitting for at least that long.
I do have a couple of questions abouth these chargers though:
1. How do you hook it up and lead a wire out the trunk? Will the trunk close over the wire?
2. Saw an optional Cigarette lighter adapter for this charger as well. Is that truly an option?
Thanks for all the help,
tnt10
I use the CTEK chargers on all my cars, all the time when they are not in actual use. They work perfectly and can be left in place for months (or years) at a time. On the XK, because of the battery placement the installation is a bit more fiddly, but once it is done, no problem.
The CTEK comes with two sets of leads, one for permanent attachment (which I use) and one with alligator clips. I attached the permanent leads to the battery connectors - no need to disconnect the battery - just hook into the bolted segment, obvious when you look at it. I spliced in to the connector lines the wires from the alligator clips. This allows enough length to run the lines behind the trim panel and into the wheel well, coming out the edge of the wheel cover panel. The CTEK unit then just sits in the trunk area when not in use. When the car goes into the garage, take the unit out and plug it into an extension from the wall outlet. Because the unit sits outside the car when in use, you can monitor its operation by the function lights. It is amazingly sensitive. It sounds far more complicated than it is. It is a 20 second operation to connect and disconnect when I want to use the car. I NEVER have to worry about the car starting or about weird low-battery issues (warning lights, apparent system failures...all caused by low battery voltage).

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
drphilgood (11-05-2022), gjjaguar (11-23-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

+1 on CTEK's. Never had a problem and definitely the best money I spent.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a CTEK charger which has a quick disconnect connector. Connect --- shut lid -- plug CTEK charger into outlet --- lock XK .... have used mine for about 1 year -- works great
2007greyxk

Old 11-01-2013, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007 grey xk
I use a CTEK charger which has a quick disconnect connector. Connect --- shut lid -- plug CTEK charger into outlet --- lock XK .... have used mine for about 1 year -- works great
2007greyxk
what model CTEK charger would i use

Quick Reply: Battery Charge For Long Lay Ups?