XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Remote and one-touch convertible top control works!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts
Talking Remote and one-touch convertible top control works!!!!!!!!!!

Woohoo!!!!!

History was made tonight.

An X150 convertible top was controlled by remote control for the very first time.

I have built a working proof of concept system for operation of the X150 top with your remote control keyfob!!! Three presses of unlock on the fob opens the top and 3 presses of lock closes the top.

I purchased a 2007 XK with the express goal of achieving this (between drives ). This was a much more complex process than on the earlier X100. I will also be adding a one touch feature to the interior top button and possibly some other features.

Now on to turning the brassboard into a real product. Look for it in the coming months !

The following 6 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
amcdonal86 (02-26-2013), CleverName (02-26-2013), GGG (02-27-2013), Norri (02-27-2013), ralphwg (02-27-2013), sherbercars (02-26-2013) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Superb Steve, great news

Thanks so much for sharing this, how about a little promo video when you can to show it off?

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Good to know! We should get in touch as I am also in Arlington!

WhiteXKR (02-27-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

For those who might be interested, here is the original thread on the XK8/R forum that gave birth to the cool remote top feature: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ou-want-53390/

Old 02-26-2013, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Good to know! We should get in touch as I am also in Arlington!
Give me a call some time on a weekend. Sending PM.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts
Default Next Mod: How About a Backup Camera?

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Woohoo!!!!! ... I purchased a 2007 XK with the express goal of achieving this (between drives ). This was a much more complex process than on the earlier X100. I will also be adding a one touch feature to the interior top button and possibly some other features. ...
(note: quote edited and highlighted by Stuart S)

Great job! Very impressive!

Since you mentioned the possibility of some other features, I was hoping that the backup camera retrofit would be the next challenge you would tackle, as you previously mentioned: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...etrofit-88209/

I believe the backup camera mod has excellent business potential since it applies to both convertibles and coupes from 2007 through 2009. Out of curiosity, I did an advanced search in the new XK/XKR forum for "backup camera retrofit" and found 3 threads with over 5,700 views! You might want to start a new thread to measure the level of interest. If you decide to do it, you can count me in!

Stuart

WhiteXKR (02-27-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

Since you mentioned the possibility of some other features, I was hoping that the backup camera retrofit would be the next challenge you would tackle, as you previously mentioned: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...etrofit-88209/

I believe the backup camera mod has excellent business potential since it applies to both convertibles and coupes from 2007 through 2009. Out of curiosity, I did an advanced search in the new XK/XKR forum for "backup camera retrofit" and found 3 threads with over 5,700 views! You might want to start a new thread to measure the level of interest. If you decide to do it, you can count me in!

Stuart
Count me in also for both mods

WhiteXKR (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 12:07 AM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

Congratulations Steve!
Don't forget the front park sensor project in the excitement.

WhiteXKR (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Congratulations - but I wouldn't expect anything else from one of the JF Steve Club founder members.
Can you do four pushes and the S/C valley hose changes itself yet ?

WhiteXKR (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 05:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

.......... An X150 convertible top was controlled by remote control for the very first time...................
Well done Steve.
Graham

WhiteXKR (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member

Stuart
I am with you Stuart.

I am planning to soon investigate what the technical possibilities are for a well integrated backup camera. The limited rear visibility on these cars (especially the convertible with the top up) makes this a very desirable feature.

As has been discussed, the only external input to the factory video system is used for the navigation, and it is electronically switched in only when the navigation mode is selected. The key is to find either an alternate path to bring in video or to fool the system into going into nav. mode when the car is in reverse. I am not sure yet which is more feasible.

The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteXKR:
sherbercars (02-28-2013), Stuart S (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Can you do four pushes and the S/C valley hose changes itself yet ?
You are going to need to close your eyes an click your heels together for that one Steve

Old 02-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
Congratulations Steve!
Don't forget the front park sensor project in the excitement.

Not forgotten Norri, but I do need more people to buy my stuff. Then I can quit my day job and make Jag upgrades full time.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

I am with you Stuart.

I am planning to soon investigate what the technical possibilities are for a well integrated backup camera. The limited rear visibility on these cars (especially the convertible with the top up) makes this a very desirable feature.

As has been discussed, the only external input to the factory video system is used for the navigation, and it is electronically switched in only when the navigation mode is selected. The key is to find either an alternate path to bring in video or to fool the system into going into nav. mode when the car is in reverse. I am not sure yet which is more feasible.

As you said when you started this thread: "Woohoo!!!!! " That's how I feel knowing that you'll be working on the backup camera retrofit!

The bad part is not knowing how long it may take to bring the product to market. One wrinkle is that some of our cars came with OEM front and/or rear parking sensors that display a pictogram in the nav screen. It would be nice to be able to continue to hear the beeping (it accelerates as you get closer to an object) in addition to seeing what's behind you. I presume that the pictogram would be replaced by the rear camera view. My 2009 XKR Portfolio came with front and rear parking sensors.

I suggest that you consider starting a new thread for each of the pending products mentioned in this thread, including: (1) remote top; (2) backup camera; and (3) front park sensor. Doing so would help you separate and quantify the interest for each product, enable others who have the technical knowledge to brainstorm "how to do it" alternatives with you, and help you to determine the commercial feasibility. I wish I could do more to help, but electronics is over my head.

Stuart

Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Back to the topic at hand -- I'm in as soon as you've got a chip programmed and ready to go for the top down bit. I've installed mods similar to this in other cars to simplify life. I'm assuming you tap into the lock circuit for the initial stimulus then have a timer to press and hold the top up/down button after said stimulus. Sounds great -- I'm very willing to be one of the first!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

As you said when you started this thread: "Woohoo!!!!! " That's how I feel knowing that you'll be working on the backup camera retrofit!

The bad part is not knowing how long it may take to bring the product to market. One wrinkle is that some of our cars came with OEM front and/or rear parking sensors that display a pictogram in the nav screen. It would be nice to be able to continue to hear the beeping (it accelerates as you get closer to an object) in addition to seeing what's behind you. I presume that the pictogram would be replaced by the rear camera view. My 2009 XKR Portfolio came with front and rear parking sensors.

I suggest that you consider starting a new thread for each of the pending products mentioned in this thread, including: (1) remote top; (2) backup camera; and (3) front park sensor. Doing so would help you separate and quantify the interest for each product, enable others who have the technical knowledge to brainstorm "how to do it" alternatives with you, and help you to determine the commercial feasibility. I wish I could do more to help, but electronics is over my head.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I sympathize with the frustration of having to wait. It does take a lot of time & effort to bring a solid, reliable product to market.

There is a fairly current thread on the backup camera in this forum which I have already mentioned my plans. I'll will update this thread once I have something new to report.

I plan to post sometime soon in the XK8/R forum some details about the front parking sensors.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-27-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Stuart S (02-27-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rahtok
Back to the topic at hand -- I'm in as soon as you've got a chip programmed and ready to go for the top down bit. I've installed mods similar to this in other cars to simplify life. I'm assuming you tap into the lock circuit for the initial stimulus then have a timer to press and hold the top up/down button after said stimulus. Sounds great -- I'm very willing to be one of the first!
Thanks for your interest. I will definitely let you know when it is ready.

You have the right idea, and you have described essentially how the older XK8 remote top works. On the X150 XK/XKR, you may have noted that the top does not normally operate with the ignition off. This, plus the security system added new wrinkles that needed to be solved.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Back-Up Camera Retro-Fit

The minute you perfect the Back-Up Camera Retro-Fit for a 2009 XK Coupe, I'll gladly be your first customer! Guys like you are the reason why I read this forum every day!

WhiteXKR (03-03-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Once you know the cost for this one.. please let us know

Old 04-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Congrats...

Hello, I was just about to send an email to see how the process was coming... congratulations.. just in time for summer....post a video.... when the product is ready for sale i'll be one of the first customers.

Attached Thumbnails Remote and one-touch convertible top control works!!!!!!!!!!-img_0329.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote and one-touch convertible top control works!!!!!!!!!!