XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'07 XK n/a - bumper air ducting info?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 03:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default '07 XK n/a - bumper air ducting info?

Evening all. I'm after some information...

I'm sorting out the front of my n/a '07 XK convertible, and I'm stuck! I have the bumper undertray ('radiator splash shield' in the workshop manual), but looking at the workshop manual section on removing the aircon condenser, it refers to removing 'the front bumper air ducting'.

None of the diagrams I have found, other than the one in the w/s manual (82.15.07, para. 4) show anything other than the undertray. Can anyone tell me what this 'air ducting' comprises of?

Old 05-24-2017, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Could be referring to the plastic tube that connects to the box that contains the air filter (ahead of the front left wheel well). That tube is behind the bumper and ahead of the radiator, running vertically on the left side. The top of the tube (it changes shape along the way) is the air intake.

Old 05-24-2017, 04:47 PM

That's not it, though I'm missing that too.

The instructions say:

4. Remove the front bumper air ducting.
Remove the 7 clips.
Release the 4 clips

The illustration looks like this:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Air Ducting XK front end.pdf (11.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 05-24-2017, 04:50 PM

I have no idea why the (several obscenities deleted...) image won't open. It's late; I'm tired; I need to stop now before I throw the computer out of the window....

Old 05-24-2017, 04:55 PM

Last go. Let's see if this works...

Attached Files
File Type: docx
XK Air Ducting.docx (43.9 KB, 61 views)
Old 05-24-2017, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, I think that's the next thing you run into vertically after you remove the splash shield (i.e. you are under the car, you take off the splash shield, and the next thing you see when you look up).
After you take of the splash shield, you can't look upward at the front of the radiator, there is something blocking your view. That must be the 'air ducting'. Its kind of like another splash shield, but I think its more 'rubbery' (IIRC).

Old 05-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

It's plastic and held in with a dozen push lock style clips. Pop the center out and the clip will slide out. Kind of a PITA to deal with.

I'm curious why you are going up there? I was able to do most of my owner level repairs with the AC intact.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:23 AM

Thanks guys. progress at last!

I'm going up there because I presume I need to; the air ducting is missing. At the moment, when I take the splash shield off I can see clear through to - well, maybe not Nebraska, but the top of the aircon condenser.

If I just don't replace it, what are the implications?

Old 05-25-2017, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure exactly why it's needed but I suppose its so any airflow through the grills is guided to the radiators and not around them. There are side walls and the top plate too that box in that air pressure stream so it's forced through the radiators.

Without the bottom duct plate I suspect you could get similar performance by sealing the space between the belly pan and the radiator support. Since the fenders bolt to the pan I don't think you'd lose much pressure from air escaping around the air filter boxes.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:10 AM

And, of course, since JLR in their wisdom (not very...) did not see fit to provide any sort of coolant temperature indication for the driver, you can't really tell whether it matters or not...

Possibly a lot on a hard-driven XKR, probably not much, I suspect, on a gently-driven n/a XK like mine.

I don't suppose you (or anyone else) can tell me the part number for this piece of plastic, can you?

And more generally, is there any way to get a coolant temp indication in the cockpit, other than fitting an aftermarket item?

Old 05-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tango Nevada
I don't suppose you (or anyone else) can tell me the part number for this piece of plastic, can you?
Looks like it might be: C2P5347
Item #7 on this page:
https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts...r-support-scat

Old 05-25-2017, 02:27 PM

Thanks guys. I've found it in the EPC, though. It is all in with the radiator section.

Given that all XKs have aircon, and the aircon condenser is right in front of the radiator, and it has to be removed to get at the condenser, I would have thought it would be in the exploded diagram with the condenser. Silly me...

Turns out that in fact, I'm missing most of the box! Both side parts, and various other little bits, are also not there. Still, at least I'm getting closer to knowing what I need to sort it out.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tango Nevada
Turns out that in fact, I'm missing most of the box! Both side parts, and various other little bits, are also not there.
Do you know the history of your car? Sounds like it was in a front-end collision, and whoever repaired it didn't replace all the parts (as a cost savings measure, which may not have been passed on to the previous owner).

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Looks like it might be: C2P5347
Item #7 on this page:
https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts...r-support-scat
I think you are correct, this isn't the part.

C2P12205 looks to be what you were looking for.
Can be seen as item #10 in the second section on this page:
https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts...omponents-scat

That has a much better price too.

Sean W (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 04:14 PM

Yes, the car has had a minor front-end bump. I knew that when I bought it, but it was VERY VERY cheap (and I, genuinely unintentionally, cheated him out of £600 on that!). It's not been written-off by the insurers, though.

I didn't realise just how much the bodging **** I bought it from had omitted from behind the front bumper when throwing it back together, but even allowing for parts cost, at the end of the day I'll still come out ahead, I think, and with a little research in Ireland I now have a full service history to verify the low mileage.

At least I now know what SHOULD be there. You're spot on with the parts; I'll need, 10, 13, 14, 15 and 16, I think (won't be certain until I take the upper shield, part 11, off and have another look) but that should be about it. Unless I find something else missing or broken...

The car drives perfectly; what could possibly go wrong...

Last edited by Tango Nevada; 05-25-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

OK, #10 tucks into the bumper in the front and has little metal spring clips that grab the bottom of the radiator. There's a foam strip there to seal it. It also uses #12 to clip to #14 and #13 on the sides. Finally #11 clips to #13 and #14 along with the radiator support in the back and the bumper support in the front with a bunch #12's.

kj07xk (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 04:15 PM

Boy, am I glad I joined this forum. That's EXACTLY the information, and all of the information, I needed. Huge thank you, one and all.