XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

07 XK Shifter Plate - Design/Template Available?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 XK Shifter Plate - Design/Template Available?

Hey all,

After installing the ACM yesterday - and despite being as careful as possible - I scratched up the shifter plate quite badly. It was in perfect condition before and now it's annoying the heck out of me.

I've researched a few threads on this forum where people have investigated ways of fixing this up, and it appears to be a difficult thing to achieve.

I've contacted a vinyl decal shop and they say they can make a custom decal with the letters cutout, however would need the shifter to be sent in so they can measure it up and produce a design file. Unfortunately the shifter plate isn't actually a plate and can't be removed so the only way to do it would be to take out the entire shifter assembly which isn't really an option for me.

Does anyone have - or know where to get - a design file/template for this part of the shifter? Perhaps someone has been down this road before and can help out? Alternatively does anyone have the requisite skills to be able to make one for me? I'd be happy to pay someone to do it.

Hoping someone can help or provide advice - thanks in advance :-)

Old 06-27-2018, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

In addition to the black portion, please ask that shop if they can produce an overlay for the chrome J-gate surround. That chrome trim tends to peel off and become sharp and jagged over time, and there's no separate replacement available as far as I know.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

As long as you haven't cracked the chrome I would clean it really well to try and blend the marks in with the regular stuff using polish or different abrasives to achieve a consistent look. Then black marker of cheap flat black spray with a touch up brush to match the white spot. The problem with decals is due to being transparent and having different colors at the indicators this is a two or three laminated sheet part that they would need to duplicate and still allow it to flow over a 3d surface.

Gonna be a tough order.

You can remove the handle if you have the correct Allen key for the locking ring on the bottom. Couple threads about it here.