Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

'07+ XKR year and option buying advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts
Default '07+ XKR year and option buying advice please

What features should I really make sure I get?

I'd like to purchase an XKR convertible but need some advice as there have been a lot of changes, some likely of real value, and others perhaps not. It will be an infrequent weekend car only, so features more necessary for a daily driver will be of limited value, ie no need for great sound system, HD nav, adaptive headlights, etc. LED may be cool, but the car is cool enough for me, but if ventilated seats really do make a worthwhile difference on the convertible I'd see the value in that, as would adaptive suspension if the standard suspension really is lacking.

The reviews I've seen were mostly with the '07 XK and XKR when the redesign was first released, and the reviews were all very favorable leading me to question which improvements I should really be concerned about having. I am more concerned about reliability though, as the car will mostly sit unused, stored winters, and the dealer is hours away, and any warranty will expire before I put many miles on it. I saw reference to electronics draining batteries and tops that don't seal well on earlier years, but I don't know if there were sucessful fixes for those, or whether choosing a newer model year is the answer.

So kindly help me focus on what's important on the XKR. '07 XKR convertibles are priced close to $50k locally in the Toronto area, which seems pretty reasonable compared to the rare '10+ dealer demos I've seen advertised, but I'm prepared to spend considerably more to purchase what makes practical sense...or for financial sense at resale time.

Thanks for reading,

Bruce

Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I just went through some of this, so I'll share what I found out and why I chose what I chose.

First, my criteria: I wanted a convertible, and I wanted a fair amount of horsepower. For the Jags that meant the XKR. For MY10, there was a significant bump in HP for both the XK and XKRs. A couple of mild front and rear fascia changes (deleted fog light option, added rear LED tails). For XKRs, there really aren't very many options. For the most part, the only functional options that I am aware of was an electrically heated front wind screen and the adaptive cruise control option. All of the XKRs come with a very decent sound system, HIDs, front/rear sonar, NAV, Sat Radio... pretty nicely equipped. Check timeline here: Jaguar XK (X150) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At the end of the day, it was mostly just a search for one in the color combo I wanted and if it had adaptive cruise, then that was a bonus. Low mileage examples in MY10 can be had for mid 70s right now. I bought mine last week... it's on it's way here right now.

I'm not particularly sure of the 07-09 options on the XKR as I didn't look for them in particular. I know they had the J-Gate shifter instead of the rising dial that MY10+ has. But I don't think there's anything significant in terms of amenities that were different, and the basic dash design/layout has remained untouched since 07. If you haven't seen the TopGear review of the 07 Coupe, it's a fun watch.

Hopefully that's of some use. Good luck! It was a fun decision process going through 911 cabs, MB SL550s, BMW 6, Vantages, and even Vettes.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Smile

I, too, went through the same exercise before deciding to buy my XKR convertible a year ago since I had a price limit. First, I eliminated the 2010 models because they were above my price limit even though I wanted the 510HP engine. (Note that the 2010 XKRs come loaded, with almost every option including adaptive cruise). [p.s. - after a year of driving the 420HP XKR, it is plenty quick enough for me]. Next, I eliminated the 2007's because that was the first year of the new model and with so many changes I thought it prudent to avoid the bugs that invariably come with first model year cars. I also didn't like the old-style retractable radio antenna. So, it came down to 2008 versus 2009. I decided on the 2009 mainly because it came standard with iPod integration, and I prefer listening to my music over paying for XM (which I let expire on my LS460) or Sirius. I was fortunate to find the perfect car locally, which gave me the advantage to drive it and have it thoroughly inspected by a Jaguar dealer before making an offer. Caveat Emptor! (Buyer Beware!) I have no regrets, and hope you enjoy your XKR as much as I do.

The 2009 XKR Portfolio convertible had few options - interior and top colors, Alcon brakes, and adaptive cruise. The only exterior color was Shadow Gray metallic with a choice of either a black or gray soft top (mine is black). The interior was available in either charcoal with cranberry stitching or 2-tone ivory (seats) with slate blue dash and 2-tone door panels. My car has the latter and, IMHO, it is gorgeous. Since my car has all the options, I thought I'd give you my opinions. Some people don't like the adaptive cruise, but I love it and wouldn't get another car without it. The Alcon brakes look awesome and stop great, but the downside is that there is no spare wheel/tire available since the standard compact spare won't clear those massive 6-piston front calipers; instead, you get a 12v air compressor and tire sealant assembly in the trunk. If I had it to do over again, I'd pass on the Alcons and get the spare tire. If you're interested in a 2009 Portfolio, see this link for details about that model: 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Details . See also Cars.com and eBay.

If you're looking at non-Portfolio models, go for the highest optioned car you can find - it won't cost you more and you'll probably enjoy it better. Among the must-have options for 2009, IMHO, are 20" Senta wheels (the Portfolio has unique 20" Selena wheels), Adaptive Cruise, walnut trim (instead of the aluminum tin-foil dash panels - just my taste), Luxury Package (heated steering wheel, 16-way soft-grain leather seats and door panel inserts), and the Bowers & Wilkins premium sound (fantastic!). Most XKRs have solid color interiors, so make sure that's what you want - the 2-tone interiors (ivory/slate blue) are much less common.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you both for your comments, and the education. It may come down to me getting the hardest-core brakes available (track day D.N.A.), and with the extreme rarity of the Portfolio convertible that would mean going to the 2010 vert.

I found one Portfolio coupe for $70k with 12k miles, so a vert would likely be more, and probably within a few thousand of the 2010's that I see asking low $80's. I did find a very tempting regular '09 XKR convertible with 20" and heating windscreen and steering wheel for $69,900 with 12k miles, and it's at the dealer that sold and serviced it. Price seems a bit high maybe considering all the big ticket upgrades on the 2010, and the extra year of warranty that would come with a one year newer car.

The standard XKR brakes might be okay, wouldn't know until I tried it, but truth is most high end high performance sportscar will run out of brake after several hot laps. A search under "brake fade" turned up nothing.

Thanks again guys, and I'm hoping others will share their thoughts as well.

Bruce

Old 10-05-2011, 08:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WRT the 2009 Portfolio, I picked up a convertible in June of this year with <16K miles in mint condition from a dealer (Select Edition). Paid under $65K for it (asking price was $69K). Took a bit of negotiation and me willing to walk, but they did the deal.

The other thing I liked about the 2009 Portfolio was the contrast stitching. I am not sure, but I don't think the contrast stitching was available on the standard XKR/XK in 2009 but I could be wrong here. I also know the 2007s had some electrical gremlins so I wanted to stay away from the 2007s (not to mention the antennae issue) and even the 2008s. I figured by 2009 they might have straitened a few known bugs out.

Mine doesn't have the Alcon brakes, but they sure do look great! As mine is a daily driver, I preferred the standard brake package. One item that is missing on the Portfolio is a heated steering wheel. Strange that it is not included as it is included in the luxury package of the standard XKR. However, in S. California there isn't a whole lot of need for one.

If you are going to track it, you might prefer the 19" wheels although I think most people prefer the 20" for looks. Ride is still fantastic on the 20" (off track that is).

Anyway, awesome car! Good Luck!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Advanced Tech:Lights andadaptive cruise.I like the active lights
Aluminum Luxury: Seats,great. Wheels 20" great. Leather nice
Luxury Package: Seats soft grain leather,wood/leather shifter
Premium Sound Pkg: 525watts Dolby nice

Old 10-15-2011, 08:02 AM
Veteran Member

I drove the '09 with 12k miles I mentioned above and loved it and could probably get it for about $67k. I've also narrowed down available 2010's to the one I'm seeing tomorrow with 9k miles that I've negotiated to $85k. It has warranty to Feb '15 vs Feb '13, and if it's in the conditon described I think I'm going to buy it. It apparantly has light curb rash on 2 wheels, and the dealer is going to have those refinished as part of the deal. These Canadian prices may sound a bit high, but when you factor in slight currency exchange, import duties, transportation and other cost, the final cost is about the same for me up here.

It's tough spending the extra $18k when the '09 seemed perfect in every way imaginable, but I do keep the toys forever, and anticipate the higher cost will be worth it in the long run. I'm placing a lot of value on the extra two years of warranty, and resale value way down the road.

Any suggestions related to checking out a 2010's condition would be very much appreciated, and particularly timely since I fully expect to leave a deposit tomorrow. Thanks

Bruce

Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 AM

Ooo, good luck!

I'd say that if you want a decent sanity check, take it to a high end body shop to have them give it the once over. It'll take them 15 to 20 minutes to look at paint, gaps, and panels to validate if it's ever had work done on it. Carfax is only of use if any repairs made were reported.

And I'm quite fond of the little rising hockey puck. It's cool. Or maybe it was the extra 100hp -- either way, big smiles. BIG SMILES!

Old 10-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Good suggestion, Brian. Btw, have you figured out how to fit 4 track wheels into the car yet?

Bruce

Old 10-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need the blower?

Have you driven a 2010 non-R? The new 5L 385 hp engine is a treat, nicer, IMO than the 4.2L with supercharger, plus the good tweaks for 2010. Just got mine, Jaguar Select, warranty to 5/16, .9% money for 5 years ... for $65K.

Of course the 510 ponies would be nice, but unnecessary, for me, in the real world. The XK is way fast, pulls great from 2000 rpm. My advice would be to at least drive one ...

EDIT ... Sorry, forgot you wanted a convertible, so the price might be higher than mine, but the point's the same.

Last edited by Brooke; 10-15-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member

I've seen in reviews that the performance of the 5L XK is very impressive, as was the '09 XKR I drove. I just always go for the highest performance versions...and I do stretch their legs on race tracks from time to time.

Bruce

Old 10-16-2011, 03:36 AM

Haven't done anything with wheels yet. I think I need to take it to someone local that has some stock to play with to see what I can get away with. It'd be fantastic to hit 305 -- But it does *look* pretty tight back there already, and I don't think I can bring myself to roll the fenders... :/