XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1 month In

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 1 month In

Ok, I am officially one month in of being a Jaguar XKR convertible (2008) owner. My journey to FL from MA was well worth it terms of time and money. I am still getting calls from dealers and owners closer to my area, and believe I got a very, very fair deal. The car is clean and has minimal issues. Here are a few things that need/needed attention in the first month:

TPMS alert - Appeared to be simply under inflated tires, filled up and alert gone.

Only 1 FOB came with the car, so I'll need a second. Still shopping and learning of options

Sticking Thermostat - p0128 error. Replaced, reset and waiting for ECU to recalibrate so inspection sticker can be replaced (has a FL inspection sticker now)

Brake light bulb alert - replaced bulb, alert gone

Headlight bobbling/jumping - single instance has not returned

Dipstick tube nut missing - replaced M5 8mm nut, now secure

Windshield wiper needs replacement - will do

Oil change - will do

slight separation of material (suede?) on bottom of windshield pillars - not bat, but may look for fix

General leather wear/dings (minimal) especially in door handle and console sides. May try to find product that will restore.

Slight separation of convertible top rear glass seal. minimal, no leaks but will reseal (probably more cosmetic)

Some general exterior cosmetic items, very minor, just cleaning and buffing will take care of.

Please let me know of any other problem areas as I continue to go through this car.

So far as my driving experiences and impressions. This car hails over my previous convertible (Mustang GT). Much more comfortable and sure footed ride. There is lots of power and convenience items. The care has been up to around 120mph. Acceleration is quick, handles great in the turns. There does seem to be a bit of a lag in initial throttle response, but I'm wondering if this is just me getting used to different gearing than the manual transmission I am used to driving.

Conclusion. Very happy owner. I am looking beyond and will consider a 2010+ XKR that has more HP, but this is a keeper and will keep me happy for now. Please reply with any comments, ideas, similar experiences. Lastly, this forum has been a great deal of help and the positive 1st month experience has lots to do with that as well.

Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
jpk112 (12-12-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by J5hort
Ok, I am officially one month in of being a Jaguar XKR convertible (2008) owner. My journey to FL from MA was well worth it terms of time and money. I am still getting calls from dealers and owners closer to my area, and believe I got a very, very fair deal. The car is clean and has minimal issues. Here are a few things that need/needed attention in the first month:

TPMS alert - Appeared to be simply under inflated tires, filled up and alert gone.

Only 1 FOB came with the car, so I'll need a second. Still shopping and learning of options

Sticking Thermostat - p0128 error. Replaced, reset and waiting for ECU to recalibrate so inspection sticker can be replaced (has a FL inspection sticker now)

Brake light bulb alert - replaced bulb, alert gone

Headlight bobbling/jumping - single instance has not returned

Dipstick tube nut missing - replaced M5 8mm nut, now secure

Windshield wiper needs replacement - will do

Oil change - will do

slight separation of material (suede?) on bottom of windshield pillars - not bat, but may look for fix

General leather wear/dings (minimal) especially in door handle and console sides. May try to find product that will restore.

Slight separation of convertible top rear glass seal. minimal, no leaks but will reseal (probably cosmetic)

Some general exterior cosmetic items, very minor, just cleaning and buffing will take care of.

Please let me know of any other problem areas as I continue to go through this car.

So far as my driving experiences and impressions. This car hails over my previous convertible (Mustang GT). Much more comfortable and sure footed ride. There is lots of power and convenience items. The care has been up to around 120mph. Acceleration is quick, handles great in the turns. There does seem to be a bit of a lag in initial throttle response, but I'm wondering if this is just me getting used to different gearing than the manual transmission I am used to driving.

Conclusion. Very happy owner. I am looking beyond and will consider a 2010+ XKR that has more HP, but this is a keeper and will keep me happy for now. Please reply with any comments, ideas, similar experiences. Lastly, this forum has been a great deal of help and the positive 1st month experience has lots to do with that as well.

Thank you.
J:

You will need to concentrate on a fix ASAP for the rear window pulling away from the convertible top. If it gets too bad, the result is a new top, which may cost up to $2000 to $3000.

A few XKR owners have reported here on the forum using a Marine sealant to repair the rear window from pulling away from the top. There is TSB on the repair.

I have attached the TSB directly from Jaguar. I suggest you get on this issue immediately before the issue gets worse.

Attached Files

Last edited by richzak; 12-13-2016 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sean W (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

I read a bit and agree that the 3M product is the way to go. I should be able to pick it up at West Marine. Also, I ordered a box of Suck-n-clamps (I love that name). These should allow the material to be held in place while the sealant cures. I do not want to do the repair in the cold. My garage is not heated. I am hoping I can tackle the next warm day...which may be a bit far off in New England. May drop by top/upholstery place to see if the repair is reasonable.