XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007-2009 XK Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 01:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=totalpakaj;
UPDATE ... the car is STILLLL in the shop (dropped off last Wednesday) because they cant figure out why the steering system after all this time has been off....they have this week had all 4 rims sent to a shop to ensure they are not bent and placed them back on the car. waiting on them to look over it AGAIN because that still didn't fix the shaking steering at highway speed and uneven feel to the steering.
[/QUOTE]

I have had the shaking at highway speed before. The dealer couldn't figure it out. I went to the wheel repair shop and they found one wheel weight came off just one of the wheels and that caused all of that shaking. Good high speed balancing after repair of all the wheels is very important to remove all the vibrations from the steering wheel. Not all places do a good enough job of this.

I have sympathy for all your repairs, but I would separate out the ones that could have been caused during any wheel damage events and not hold those against the car for reliability. I wish you luck going forward.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my first ride in an E type in the early 70s, I raced dirt bikes at the time and had the Good fortune to ride in an E type owned by an air force major. He was known as Major idiot because he was single had a manioc 500 (unreadable ) a Jet boat 16' with blown 454, and an E type that he had a Mexican welder install a trailer hitch so he could pull his dirt bike.(he never thought about where to carry fuel, tools ,or riding gear) To make a long story short this took place in Laredo where potholes and caliche roads were the norm, He never broke steering or half axles. It was the most awesome car I had ever been in .So no matter what brand of Luxury car you drive if you hit potholes hard enough to break half shafts, bend or brake rims,Youre gonna have major problems. I have never taken a car to dealer for repair except for a leased Oldsmobile Aurora my wife had to have when they came out.(computer and air conditioner went out at 15k miles. As for the mechanics not able to fix the steering its because 99% of mechanics even at dealers are parts changers not real mechanics and if computer cant find problem and they cant see broken or loose ball joints or tie rods well???? You obviously should be driving an off-road truck and if you have the money to throw at the Jag. Why didn't you buy a newer low mileage with all dealer receipts ? When youre buying a used car (I've never bought one yet, I am looking for my first (I drive a Toyota Tacoma 2005 with 60k miles engine and tranny are pristine but it is used as truck)even if you want a certain car year there are great models out there I just looked at 750i with 74000 for 12,900 with blue title two owner .Also a Lexus SC430 with 37000 miles one owner all records. Then I remembered my first ride in E type and here I am researching Jags which I will buy. But by me being a race car mechanic as hobby (was a drilling supt. for oil co) I quickly saw through your problems and mistakes , You bought a great looking car that had not been maintained, had the heck driven out of it, Never change the oil,you hit potholes that you should avoid. PS as for changing oil every 10k whether synthetic or not, thats crazy (I know BMW even at one time said 15k not any more) I change my oil at 2500 miles maybe 3000 at most I use premium oils but you're far better off running Regular oil and changing at 3k than synthetic at 10k. PS both types come from same oil bearing sands or shale's. Synthetic is not made in a lab it still comes from hole in the ground!!! Please I wrote this reply to keep people from avoiding jags due to one persons lack of knowledge. Let me guess totalpacj you're either a DR., a radiologist, or perhaps an attorney who has never touched a car engine in your life?? Not that is bad. But it can influence your driving experiences.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:54 AM

Meant to edit above posts Maico 500, (un-rideable)

Old 04-30-2017, 08:01 PM
Default Service Bulletin Fixes

I have a 2007 XK and found that a 2007 service bulletin fix had not been performed. Is there a time limit to get Jaguar to implement a service bulletin.

Old 05-01-2017, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Not to my knowledge, but I'm not in the US. However, if something was supposed to be fixed, it should be fixed, regardless. If you get any push-back from a dealer, contact Jaguar directly.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by exuberance1
Is there a time limit to get Jaguar to implement a service bulletin.
If it is a Technical Service Bulletin then that is just technical advice or repair instructions for the dealer technicians to help short cut diagnosis of common issues. Once the car is out of warranty the the costs of any fix would be down to the owner.

Special Service Messages are similar but are more aimed at passing on information to the technicians.

Service Actions cover work that needs to be done to cars next time they come to the dealership for servicing and usually expire after a few years.

Recalls are urgent fixes for potentially dangerous issues and the current owner should have been contacted to arrange a time for the car to be repaired.

I think that recalls are therefore the only thing that might still be done on an 07 at no cost to the owner.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
If it is a Technical Service Bulletin then that is just technical advice or repair instructions for the dealer technicians to help short cut diagnosis of common issues. Once the car is out of warranty the the costs of any fix would be down to the owner.

Special Service Messages are similar but are more aimed at passing on information to the technicians.

Service Actions cover work that needs to be done to cars next time they come to the dealership for servicing and usually expire after a few years.

Recalls are urgent fixes for potentially dangerous issues and the current owner should have been contacted to arrange a time for the car to be repaired.

I think that recalls are therefore the only thing that might still be done on an 07 at no cost to the owner.
+1 = What he said, all applies here in the U.S.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:12 AM

There always seems to be a disparity between"Should be" and "Is"

These responses pretty well answer my question.

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:07 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Hmmm... this is the first time I've heard of catalytic converter issues!
I've clogged all cats on all my Jags.... I look at it as an opportunity to "downgrade" to high flow CATS;-)

Old 10-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

With a Jaguar XK with 125K miles, what is the expected lifespan on the engine and transmission. I had S Type R Series previously and transmission needed to be replaced at 86K miles. Looking back, all little issues were not stressful. The transmission was big and interrupted long distance drive with a jerking motion. What engine and transmission issue can I expect from an XK with 125K miles?

Old 10-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

These cars have great life expectancy if they are properly maintained and driven. There are some members of this forum that have XKs with more than 150k miles on them. The 4.2L engines in the 07-09 XKs are well proven. The 5.0L in the 2010+ models are just now beginning to develop some high milers. One known problem with the 5.0L is the water pump. they usually need to be replaced between 30 and 50k miles. Other than that and maintaining and/or replacing the battery these cars just run well.

The following users liked this post:
lbroderick (01-26-2018)
Old 10-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

The transmission benefits from a fluid and filter change every 60k miles or so, but it's pretty bulletproof. As Ralph mentions, the main issue on the 5.0 is the water pump (leaks & failures), though I would not say it's a "common" failure - but if you get a 'low coolant' warning, stop & check that you still have water, don't wait for the next gas stop. The only other things are the supercharger torsion isolator (only applies to XKR) and the timing chain tensioner ratchet - neither are frequent, and neither are immediately dangerous.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
These cars have great life expectancy if they are properly maintained and driven. There are some members of this forum that have XKs with more than 150k miles on them. The 4.2L engines in the 07-09 XKs are well proven. The 5.0L in the 2010+ models are just now beginning to develop some high milers. One known problem with the 5.0L is the water pump. they usually need to be replaced between 30 and 50k miles. Other than that and maintaining and/or replacing the battery these cars just run well.
Thank you for the information. All is relevant and informative and helped me to make a rock solid decision. I purchased a 2007 XK and I am overly thrilled. For the longest time I had my sights on a corvette, but when Jag busted out with the 2007 XK models, it was a sure replacement. I shopped around intensely, drove miles to look, review, and test drive. I found one, was on a dealer lot for over 200 days. We made a deal, deal fixed the blemishes and replaced water pump. This lovely piece of art needed some love, a personal detail job, and the cashmere interior is one of the finest I have seen on a 2007. This is one of the easiest cars to drive, visibility is awesome, and just enough power to pull ahead or take it slow. I am having a custom reupholstering job on the seats (with my initials) because I always believe it is necessary to when a car has had previously owners. Reupholstering give the car a true new smell and peace of mind. The XK is everything I had hope for.

The following users liked this post:
Ngarara (01-26-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 08:29 AM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

You realize, we need pictures!

Old 01-29-2018, 08:48 PM
Default 2007 XK

Originally Posted by 110reef
You realize, we need pictures!

Here's my beautiful girl.

The following 5 users liked this post by lbroderick:
1 of 19 (05-26-2019), JackJohn (01-30-2018), Ngarara (01-30-2018), ralphwg (01-31-2018), TexasTraveler (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 07:57 AM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Very pretty!

Old 01-30-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Has anyone ever had a waterpump issue on a 4.2?

Old 01-30-2018, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Has anyone ever had a waterpump issue on a 4.2?
The water pump issues affect the 5.0, not the 4.2.

Last edited by Sean W; 01-30-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
The water pump issues affect the 5.0, not the 4.2.
So no one has even had a problem with the 4.2 waterpump? Just curious because I am most familiar with Japanese cars that generally get waterpumps changed along with the timing belt, but given the AJV8 uses a chain it seems like water pumps never are preventively changed.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

So no one has even had a problem with the 4.2 waterpump? Just curious because I am most familiar with Japanese cars that generally get waterpumps changed along with the timing belt, but given the AJV8 uses a chain it seems like water pumps never are preventively changed.
I believe that most Japaneese cars that have timing belts require a belt change at 90K miles. Also even though the WP may not be bad it is normally changes because of how it is located and that it is driven by the timing belt. Usually a $900 service. I haven't seen any data regarding the 4.2 pump failure but maybe 90K is reachable.

Quick Reply: 2007-2009 XK Problems?