XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007-2009 XK Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2007-2009 XK Problems?

I'm looking to buy a 2007-2009 XK and am wondering what problems I should be aware of with these cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by Snorgasm:
bobby sydnor (12-14-2020), Tony Vasquez (08-21-2020)
Old 04-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 590 Likes on 317 Posts

hello i'm in same boat as you, bouggt a 2007 model xkr, to be collected next week, found it had a leak in a/c, read all, there is a thread,few lines up, mine was fixed by dealer, but for how long, cost past owner 800 to fix, better last, trading my pre 06 xk, never give me trouble, had for 6years, might be losing a better car

Old 04-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

BUY IT! I just bought my first Jag a month and a half ago. 07 XKR. Absolutely showroom condition, 9000 miles. I was reading about some of the issues on this forum before I bought and found out about all the common problems. Was prepared to deal with all of them because I think it's one of the most beautiful cars ever built. Now a month and a half later I have found out more...but I still would have bought it. Just fixed the glove box dampener today. Heard of that one yet? How about the ghost passenger? Seatbelt warning and chime with no one in the passenger seat. The A/C thing? My floor has been dry since I bought the car. If it gets wet I'll do that patch Hawaii documented in this forum that seems to work fine. Of course last week the check engine light came on...excuse me, malfunction indicator lamp. Code P0442, minor EVAP leak. I'll let you know when I find out what it turns out to be.

The following users liked this post:
Snorgasm (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I purchased my 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible in May 2013, with 13,500 miles. Made the purchase via the internet, and had the XKR shipped from Florida to New Mexico. I have NOT had one reported problem of any kind. I had the oil and filter changed upon arrival, changed the OEM Selena wheels with the Braelin BR02 Hypersilver 20" wheels, bought a new set of tires all around with Hankook Ventus V12, had the engine cover Hydrographic Coated in Carbon Fiber Silver, and added the Jaguar puddle lights in both doors. I also added the Adammesh Wind Deflector for when the top is down, and added a Jaguar Leaper badge on the rear trunk lid. Mine is a convertible model. I did my own detailing using a clay bar, then completed the Opticoat 2.0 Paint Coating and applied the Pinnacle Synergy Wax over the entire car. The ride is excellent. It is a beautiful car with the top up or down, and it is a head tuner for sure. Love the car, and no doubt these are premium rides.

Photos of my car can seen via the link in my signature.

I am sure that you will enjoy the XK/XKR model. Stay in touch here on the forums, post a few photos so we all can see what you got.

Last edited by richzak; 04-19-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Get as low mileage as you can afford!

Mine has about 60k miles and has plenty of minor issues that no one else seems to have.

Issues I've had in the span of about 6k mile/1.5 years:
1. Dash leather is pulling back from leading (windshield) edge. Very common problem that happens on almost all the cars, unless they don't see any sun or the previous owner was very diligent about applying a quality conditioner to the leather.
2. Thermostat failure. Pretty common on these 4.2L engines between 40-60k miles. I had the same exact failure on my 2006 Jaguar XJ.
3. Rear halfshaft/driveshaft failure. This manifested itself as a clicking/creaking sound when going from park to drive (or reverse) and when giving the car the beans. I'm the only one I've read of who had this problem, so you should be OK on this!
4. Turn signal stalk went bad. Using the turn signal would cause the high beams to flicker on sometimes, which was damn annoying when navigating around town. I have heard of a couple other cases of this, not just limited to XKs (apparently happens to XJs as well).
5. Electrical gremlins. Many electrical problems can be traced back to a poor performing battery. These modern Jags are very sensitive to low voltage, and the best solution to combat this is to install a battery tender/maintainer, which provides a charge to the battery from the wall outlet in your garage. Don't have a garage? You can try a solar charger, which can do a similar thing but is probably not as good. That, or install an AGM battery, as I have done. However, an AGM battery will not be enough to combat the electrical gremlins if the car is not driven daily for at least 30 minutes. This, too, is a problem not limited to the XK. XJs and even F-Types seem to have problems.

That being said, these problems are relatively minor compared to some serious problems you could have with a Porsche or other German car. But considering how small Jaguar is as a company compared to the competition, I think it's pretty damn impressive!

Think about how much more sexy, beautiful and exclusive an XK is compared to the competition. Then I think your decision will be made for you!! Good luck!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 04-19-2014 at 05:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by amcdonal86:
1 of 19 (05-26-2019), Rhett (07-08-2018), Snorgasm (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
However, an AGM battery will not be enough to combat the electrical gremlins if the car is not driven daily for at least 30 minutes.
Just as a counterpoint: mine (2010 5.0) currently gets driven about once a week, about 20-25 mins each way, and it seems to be maintaining sufficient charge. No AGM battery, and while I do have a solar panel, I only use it when I'm going to be away for a couple of weeks.

So, as they say, your mileage may vary...

Lothar52 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Probably also depends on the climate. I have much fewer electrical problems in the spring thru the fall here (60+ temps). In the winter (highs in the 30s) is when the problems really start to surface!

Lothar52 (04-22-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Only other suggestion I can make to make your life easier owning an XKR is:

BUY A CTEK 3300 Battery Smartcharger and keep it on the battery all the time when not using the car.

There have been many threads here on battery related problems that ultimately will drive you NUTS,

See this link.....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-107738/

The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
Snorgasm (04-20-2014), Tony Vasquez (08-21-2020)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2007 XKR (Purchased CPO at 35k):

Thermostat replaced at about 35k*
Front brake pads replaced at about 45k (worn)
New battery at about 45k (old one not holding charge)
A/C Leak in passenger footwell at about 45k*
Bluetooth Mic replaced at about 50k* (not broken, just poor quality)
Catalytic converter (left) replaced at about 50k*
Catalytic converter (right) replaced at about 55k*
Rear tires replaced at about 55k (worn)
Seats reprogrammed at 59k (lost memory)

* Done under warranty

This has been one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned.

Snorgasm (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm... this is the first time I've heard of catalytic converter issues!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks all. Wife fell in love with XK (and why not? Possibly most beautiful car being made), but we've dumped $35K into her 2000 S-Type (includes a nikasil engine replacement) and I wanted to make sure I wasn't trading one beautiful headache for another. It's full speed ahead for a low mileage Radiance Red XK.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Snorgasm
Thanks all. Wife fell in love with XK (and why not? Possibly most beautiful car being made), but we've dumped $35K into her 2000 S-Type (includes a nikasil engine replacement) and I wanted to make sure I wasn't trading one beautiful headache for another. It's full speed ahead for a low mileage Radiance Red XK.
Haha, I haven't heard of any $35,000 horror stories. Just lots of little niggles with these cars. Can there be love without pain?!

Old 04-20-2014, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Hmmm... this is the first time I've heard of catalytic converter issues!
Happened to me at under 30K miles. See my post #20: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e-light-32528/

and https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nverter-84377/

Covered under the emissions warranty.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorgasm
I know you will love the car.

I always offer one other piece of advice that gets overlooked: The Infotainment system....
To be blunt, it is cerca 2000 era hardware, before backup cameras and 3D view navigation. Many car functions are integrated to the system, so upgrades simply do not exist... What you buy is what you will live with.... Period...
That said, the driving experience far outweighs any complaints on the sound... And as most of us here have discovered, the V8 soundtrack is pure bliss....
BOL
Vince

Old 04-20-2014, 11:38 PM
Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CleverName
To be blunt, it is cerca 2000 era hardware, before backup cameras and 3D view navigation. Many car functions are integrated to the system, so upgrades simply do not exist... What you buy is what you will live with.... Period...
Vince
I always tell people if you're buying from a dealer, ask for the latest navigation system DVD's. Worth it for the updates you do get.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:09 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

My 2007 XK with 36,000 miles has been trouble free for the 2 years I've owned it. It's a bullet-proof car.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

AC drain is going to be an issue, so leave room in your budget to have that addressed correctly by a dealer. Had the transmission pan crack (plastic), and that's it for major stuff. Engine is solid.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
AC drain is going to be an issue, so leave room in your budget to have that addressed correctly by a dealer. Had the transmission pan crack (plastic), and that's it for major stuff. Engine is solid.

Is the repair for the A/C drain if done by Jaguar a permanent fix or can the issue return? I've never gotten a clear answer to this.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Is the repair for the A/C drain if done by Jaguar a permanent fix or can the issue return? I've never gotten a clear answer to this.
My opinion is that it can come back if the replacement duckbill gets "stuck". At least with having the dealership "fix" it, I feel confident at least where I had it done we could come to terms should it happen again.

I haven't read about the issue re-appearing once the job is done. We'd be the first to read about it I am sure if it does come back.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Experience

I purchased by 2007 XKR Coupe with 77,000 miles in good condition Nov 2015. within the first month needed $500 in maintenance for supercharger pulleys and belts because they started to rattle... fine. Then in February after hitting multiple a potholes, the front suspension was leaking, busted both front tires and bent both rims. On a high performance coupe why did the put 20 inch low profile tires to only be fitted on this car? Suspension, bearings, 1 new rim 1 fixed rim, and 2 new tires, road force balancing, and alignment; TOTAL $6000 TO COMPLETE THE FRONT END AT A AUTHORIZED JAGUAR DEALER AND THE STEERING STILL WAS CRAP AND MAKING NOISES. I have taken the car back over 10 times to the dealer to try to find the problem as they continue to try new things. Their mechanics are obviously just as crap.it has been 8 months taking the car back and forth because the steering and drive has been horrible ever since. Th next issue was at 83000 THE ENGINE BLEW LEAVING ME ON THE SIDE OF A HIGHWAY AND THEY HAVE NO EXPLANATION. OIL WAS CHANGED 6000 MILES AGO AND THEY ADVISED I WOULD ONLY NEED A OIL CHANGE EVERY 8000-10000 MILES.... TOTAL CRAP!!!!TOTAL PRICE OF A REPLACED ENGINE WAS $7000. The water reservoir also started to leak $450, the headliner on a 2007 car already has fallen $600. Front grill that is only snapped in pops out all the time and finally it came off on the highway $200. Rear axle snapped clean in half $400. Speaker system is crap, and the tweeter grilles have popped out. Bluetooth only recognizes certain frequencies and not all so my phone is not compatible, and when it can work its for calls only no audio or media sharing. As of today ALL 4 RIMS ARE BENT THEY ARE CRAP! Rear glass cover always falls down and then finally the clamps cracked and broke off. the heated seats stopped working. the seat adjustment makes you feel like your in a convertible because they don't go back far enough and I'm only 5"10. On the good side the car looks absolutely stunning in profile it always has people stop and look. The drive and power and sound are exotic at its best. The sound can be heard a block away and is beautiful. But jaguar dealers are horrible in luxury standards in service and repairs are over the top for poor quality. This is a ford product with bells. the newer Jags owned by Tata will definitely be a better buy. I love what this car does... but i hate its quality and reliabilty. I would never recommend purchasing this model. save the headache and buy a CL Mercedes or the new Jaguar FType that's all new built if you have the $$$

Quick Reply: 2007-2009 XK Problems?