XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 XK Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Here is my rear Conti DWS with 7500 miles on them . These are the DWS and not the DWS 06. I have the 06 mounted on my fronts as they were replaced a year later and the DWS were replaced by the DWS 06. The tread depth at the center of the tires is 8/32 while the fronts with around 3000 miles are at 10/32.
If you look at the picture you can see where they imprint in the DWS on the tread and after 7500 miles they are easy to read.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 XK Tire Question-20160830_095211.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (08-30-2016)
Old 08-30-2016, 10:04 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts
Default SNIDE: Why did you go with the DSW 06 vs the DSW???

I live in Ohio and my Jag is my daily driver. Even tho I don't drive in deep snow, I occasionally drive on snow-covered roads once they've been plowed. And, I frequently drive in the rain. Here's how Conti describes their own tire:

Ft. Mill, S.C. – May 8, 2015. Continental Tires newest all-season, ultra-high performance (UHP) tire, the ExtremeContact DWS0​6, is now available in stores. The next generation of the ExtremeContactTM DWS is the tire of choice for drivers seeking true, year-round traction. A tire built for sports cars, luxury sport cars and luxury sport crossovers, it’s a tire that’s made, For What You Do.

“The ExtremeContactTM DWS06 is the evolution of our very popular, ExtremeContactTM DWS,” said Travis Roffler, director of marketing for Continental Tire. “This is the ultimate UHP, all-season tire. We’ve maintained excellent snow traction while making improvements in wet traction, dry handling and tread life. This is a tire enthusiasts will really enjoy.”

The ExtremeContactTM DWS06 marks the debut of SportPlusTM Technology. Another one of Continental’s innovative technologies, SportPlusTM Technology is designed for precise handling; security on wet, slippery roads; and excellent tread life. Additionally, all-season traction is enhanced through the use of Traction Grooves and X-Sipes. Traction Grooves improve snow performance through increased pattern edges while X-Sipes improve braking, cornering and acceleration in wet, snow and ice.

Another marquee feature of the ExtremeContactTM DWS06, Continental’s Quick View Indicators, including the Alignment Verification System and Tuned Performance Indicators, which make Continental a number one choice among consumers. Continental’s Alignment Verification System provides an early warning system to drivers alerting them to have the alignment checked on their vehicle. Drivers will also receive an extra measure of confidence with the inclusion of Tuned Performance Indicators. The Dry, Wet and Snow letters in the tread indicate the tire’s optimal performance levels in a variety of driving conditions.

The ExtremeContactTM DWS06 is backed by one of the strongest warranty programs and service contracts in the industry, the new Total Confidence Plan. Under the plan this all-season tire has a 60-day customer satisfaction trial and road hazard coverage (12 months or first 2/32”) as well as a 72-month manufacturer’s limited warranty program. Also included is a 50,000 mile limited mileage warranty and three-year flat tire roadside assistance. The ExtremeContactTM DWS06 comes in 87 sizes from 16” – 22” wheel diameters with a W and Y speed rating.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

I 1st bought the DWS tires for the rears when I had a flat on my OEM DUnlops and they were just about used up at 10K miles. When I bought the DWS there was no DWS06. A year later I needed front tires as the OEM Dunlops were worn out . The only tires available at that time from the dealer I was working with were the DWS06 so I had them mounted and an all wheel alignment done. As I've said before my 1st priority is a smooth ride with quiet being next then all weather handling. Based on my investigations this seemed to meet my needs and from my experience with them proved out.

The following users liked this post:
kj07xk (08-30-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 06:33 AM
Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Well.....all for naught, tho this info is stored in my brain.

After driving 5 hours to pick up the red 2007 coupe I bought on ebay we met the Seller and went to where he had stored the car. We did a very detailed visual inspection. I had asked the seller to not start the car that morning of possible as I prefer to hear a stone cold engine.

He had assured me through 3 phone calls during bidding that all was well with the car, in fact he drove it 50 miles Sunday as it was a beautiful day and he lives near a rural area...it was charming...

During my DD in the bidding process I saw that the car was offered for sale in June of 2016 by a PA dealer for $2,700 more than my winning bid....hmmm. "Why are you selling the car Mr Seller"?? He was buying house for son...ok....Claimed to be a semi exotic car nut, (Porshce Vettes jag et a). He had replaced the water pump and AC motor...and although he originally claimed it had been done by jag dealer he later recanted when I found no record of such....anyway he had offered to take me to the shop in town that did the work. I'm ok with that as I am lucky to have a great independent shop here that can work on jaguars. I also found that the car had extensive service history in NC by jag dealer for previous 6 years, owner of used car lot in PA where Seller bought it from said it was a great car. Of the 4 owners, one was original, 2nd was a gent in NC for 6 years, the previously mentioned PA dealer and the Seller were teh only owners...everything was falling into place.

Again visual inspection complete we asked Seller to fire it up.....I had a tissue strategically placed near my hinderparts in case of the inevitable emission, (from me, not the car), waiting for that roar.

Unfortunately the V8 coughed, rattled and almost stalled. My friend and I looked at each other in horror. He then revved it up to probably 6k and the rattle only increased, but it sounded like a wet towel was on the intake...muffled...choked...hard to describe. Upper engine, though it may have been a rod...it was that loud.

The "seller" said it was due to the fact that the trunk was up and it was in fail safe mode so you would not drive it with the trunk up....honestly...he really said that!!!! His son merely stood by and averted any eye contact.

Needless to say I spun on my heels and drove back the 4.5 hours .....

Sooo...keep the search going.

Shame....

But I gotta tell ya...that Radiance Red in the flesh was absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!! All due respect to black or greys......in the flesh that color just pops.

Last edited by thegreatgarbanzo; 08-31-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by thegreatgarbanzo
Well.....all for naught, tho this info is stored in my brain.

After driving 5 hours to pick up the red 2007 coupe I bought on ebay we met the Seller and went to where he had stored the car. We did a very detailed visual inspection. I had asked the seller to not start the car that morning of possible as I prefer to hear a stone cold engine.

He had assured me through 3 phone calls during bidding that all was well with the car, in fact he drove it 50 miles Sunday as it was a beautiful day and he lives near a rural area...it was charming...

During my DD in the bidding process I saw that the car was offered for sale in June of 2016 by a PA dealer for $2,700 more than my winning bid....hmmm. "Why are you selling the car Mr Seller"?? He was buying house for son...ok....Claimed to be a semi exotic car nut, (Porshce Vettes jag et a). He had replaced the water pump and AC motor...and although he originally claimed it had been done by jag dealer he later recanted when I found no record of such....anyway he had offered to take me to the shop in town that did the work. I'm ok with that as I am lucky to have a great independent shop here that can work on jaguars. I also found that the car had extensive service history in NC by jag dealer for previous 6 years, owner of used car lot in PA where Seller bought it from said it was a great car. Of the 4 owners, one was original, 2nd was a gent in NC for 6 years, the previously mentioned PA dealer and the Seller were teh only owners...everything was falling into place.

Again visual inspection complete we asked Seller to fire it up.....I had a tissue strategically placed near my hinderparts in case of the inevitable emission, (from me, not the car), waiting for that roar.

Unfortunately the V8 coughed, rattled and almost stalled. My friend and I looked at each other in horror. He then revved it up to probably 6k and the rattle only increased, but it sounded like a wet towel was on the intake...muffled...choked...hard to describe. Upper engine, though it may have been a rod...it was that loud.

The "seller" said it was due to the fact that the trunk was up and it was in fail safe mode so you would not drive it with the trunk up....honestly...he really said that!!!! His son merely stood by and averted any eye contact.

Needless to say I spun on my heels and drove back the 4.5 hours .....

Sooo...keep the search going.

Shame....

But I gotta tell ya...that Radiance Red in the flesh was absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!! All due respect to black or greys......in the flesh that color just pops.

???? assume posted in the wrong area

Old 08-31-2016, 08:08 AM
Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

I was the OP and was asking about tires for this particular car.

Unfortunately it was a dog rocket...just thought I'd share the sad ending but thank all for the input on the tires nevertheless.

If inappropriate hopefully the moderator can delete.

Last edited by thegreatgarbanzo; 08-31-2016 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

I was the OP and was asking about tires for this particular car.

Unfortunately it was a dog rocket...just thought I'd share the sad ending but thank all for the input on the tires nevertheless.

If inappropriate hopefully the moderator can delete.
OK , couldn't connect it to inquiry of tires. Thought this was a post on what or how/how not to buy a car on ebay.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,900 Likes on 1,289 Posts

Since I wasn't there, I can't comment on exactly what you heard, but the car has a 'rev limiter' to protect the engine. If you're in P or N, you can't get past about 4500 RPM. If you try (which I have) the car will start bucking and spewing smoke. I thought mine was totally broke, until I found out about the limiter.
So maybe that's what was going on?

Yes, the Radiance is beautiful, love mine.