XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 XKR - Just a Bruise. . . Or Unrepairable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2007 XKR - Just a Bruise. . . Or Unrepairable?

Greetings!

Of course common sense suggests that one should never buy a salvage title vehicle but, I seem to lack common sense at the moment because I am looking at purchasing this 2007 XKR (72k miles). http://https://www.iaai.com/Vehicle?...oadRecent=True

My primary concern stems from the impact to the rocker (sill) and the extent it affects the unibody construction as a whole. Of course with the unibody constructino be comprised primarily of aluminium, I understand that if the entire frame is bent, the car is better left untouched. That said, does anyone have any insight as to whether this damage is fatal to the idea of repairing the car for a reasonable sum?

I have reviewed the X150 repair manual as well as the information avaiable through on online sources and I have priced the known repairs out as follows:

Projected Repair Estimates:
- Used Suspension Bits $1200 - $3200
- Used K Frame Support (Rear Subrrame Assembly) $600
- Used Replacement Wheels $400
- Rocker Panel Cover $700
- Labor $1400
- Others?

Also, I did noticed that the passenger door did not appear to close all the way. While I think this could be chalked up to the door's rubber trim having been displaced by the impact, does anyone think the impact would have been so sever to cause a structural alignment issue with the door?

I intend to inspect this car in person but, the kicker is that to inspect a car at this particular insurance auction, you must either register as a bidder $200 or pay $50 (without registering) to inspect the car. Is it worth an in person inspection?

Thank you for your help!

Attached Thumbnails 2007 XKR - Just a Bruise. . . Or Unrepairable?-xkr-1.jpeg   2007 XKR - Just a Bruise. . . Or Unrepairable?-xkr-2.jpeg   2007 XKR - Just a Bruise. . . Or Unrepairable?-xkr-3.jpeg   2007 XKR - Just a Bruise. . . Or Unrepairable?-xkr4.jpeg  
Old 04-17-2017, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

To me, if you aren't willing to invest $50 to see if the car's needs are within your ability then no, it's not repairable. Auction house should be willing to deduct the $50 from the $200 if you chose to bid. The big question is 'What do you expect to pay for this?'. Decent examples are $20k around my location. I found a rougher one for $10k and am bringing it back to life within my abilities. Firm up your parts 'estimates' (they are too low) and rethink the resurrect scheme vs. buying a good unwrecked example.

Read this:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-story-179267/

Old 04-17-2017, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

It is difficult to make an arm chair opinion based on the photo's. The area of concern is the rear suspension and the suspension mounting points. Also the diff might be a concern. I would have to see the damage to understand what needs to be done but my guess is the insurance guy didn't think the car could be fixed for a reasonable price. Go to youtube and find the video of how the XK is made and it will give you an idea of how the unibody is put together in that area.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

There is another way to look at this.
$7k for repairs
Salvaged title (think insurance)
You better be getting the car for a couple of grand

p.s. are those Michelin tires? You did not add the cost of new tires. By the looks of it, this happened due to bald tires in the back.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 04-17-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country

p.s. are those Michelin tires? You did not add the cost of new tires. By the looks of it, this happened due to bald tires in the back.
Yes, because "bald".

Old 04-17-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

And what condition was it in before the accident? What's the service history? Besides the accident damage there may be additional costs just to bring the whole car to spec. I'd stay away from it unless it is almost free and you have good people to work with to get it right.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:57 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Let's take all the emotion out of it and purely look at the numbers, and BTW the purchase price link isn't coming up but that really is irrelevant. Even IF all that's needed are those items you've listed that's $5100. With the loss of value for a properly repaired salvaged XKR with that many miles is MAYBE $20'ish so at best there's <$15K value not including your efforts/time/risk. This does not include what's not known - needed paint work, assuming everything was fine prior to the accident, you left out tires which run $1000 so there's very little there even if it was a great car prior and you were able to buy it below $10K... or even $5K. To paint a panel alone runs >$1K, whole car over $5K. Now add in that some insurance companies won't cover them, many banks won't loan on them, and how difficult it is if/when you try to sell it, these cars are tough enough to sell in great shape with no terrible history. The seller would LOVE to unload this ASAP. I'm very mechanically incline and I honestly wouldn't get involved if that car was free, there are better deals with far less risk. You're estimating at a "best case scenario" and even then it doesn't make sense let alone real world costs. No clue where you came up with a labor charge of $1400 unless it's a friend that owes you something, most charge >$100/hr and there's a WHOLE lot more that 14 hours involved in repairs there, several times more than 14 hours... with no other parts needed you're probably looking @40 hours at least without hidden stuff

The only way that car makes sense would be as a parts car or a dedicated track car but its a clear loser if your desire to make it right and ever think about selling it

Last edited by Leeper; 04-17-2017 at 11:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JagGate (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

when a car loses its grip like this and spins around for what seems like eternity, only to be very abruptly stopped by the curb.....occupants typically lose their bowels.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
when a car loses its grip like this and spins around for what seems like eternity, only to be very abruptly stopped by the curb.....occupants typically lose their bowels.

Add seats and carpet to the shopping list.

Old 04-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Banned

A few years back I have a similar accident when my new Toyo tires completely gave out on my absolutely showroom M3. Initial estimate to repair was $16K, hearing this I insisted they total it as repairing it to my satisfaction would never suffice and would cost my insurance co a LOT more than that before they gave up. In the end they did total it and gave me a check for $5K more than I had bought it for.
As for having a "brown-out", never happened, the actual crash happened on a canyon road and the whole episode seemed to happen in slow motion, very controlable but not avoidable the back end just came around slowly

That XKR needs a WHOLE lot more that what you've estimated

Attached Thumbnails 2007 XKR - Just a Bruise. . . Or Unrepairable?-wrecked-my-street.jpg   2007 XKR - Just a Bruise. . . Or Unrepairable?-dsc00066.jpg  

Last edited by Leeper; 04-18-2017 at 11:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Leeper
and gave me a check for $5K more than I had bought it for.
I had a similar but opposite experience in a different car. Went to make a compressed u-turn via a controlled fishtail procedure. Never happened- the tires never broke traction, barely caught the curb, destroyed the front wheel assembly. The insurance ended up paying 3x more than was necessary because I had to take to dealer for credible testimony in the fight. I got the employee terminated, as a shareholder, I complained how agents were loosely overpaying.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Banned

Toyo T1S tires were reviewed and rated VERY highly for traction and longevity but not in my case. The next set on my next M3 were MPSS's.... sssshhhhhhhh! Don't tell on me please!

Thankfully I had just fully detailed the car just prior to that accident, I figure that detail added largely to my recouping that kind of settlement. I'll also say that AAA insurance was nothing short of great to work with for me, a girlfriend who's some crashed her Lexus, and a couple other friends who had mishaps. Sad as that BM'er was one of just over a hundred in that combo and was perfect before kissing the cliff and curb.

Advice for anyone going through this, or dealing with attorneys or doctors is "manage your process" do not let them manage you"! Know what to ask, educate yourself, don't just let them take absolute control. I let the adjuster and body shop know that I had no intention of reclaiming the car as it would NEVER meet my expectations in terms of repair and I would not be interested in the lowered "deminished value"... initially they were going to try to fix it until I vehemently stood my ground

Old 04-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Hoosier,
We have "drifted" off point here. My take on this car is run don't walk away, unless:

1.You have special knowledge/experience re frame straightening aluminum unit bodies.

2. You just love running down hard to find expensive parts at bargain prices.

3. You or your mechanic is an expert automotive diagnostic talent. Otherwise you end up throwing parts/cash at symptoms instead of causes.

The kind of dudes who buy salvage cars are looking for parts cars or are experts at all of the above.

Just my humble opinion from a limited career at hot rodding and engine swapping back in the day.