XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 XKR is it worth the money over XK

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2007 XKR is it worth the money over XK

So I want some unbiased views I know I will get at least a few on here. Is an XKR really worth the extra over an XK? I live in an area crawling with police with speed limits of between 25-55mph, I don't attend track days and have had fast TVR's in my passed, so is the extra warranted for me. I love the XK and it's fast enough to lose my license in a heart beat in NC. What I want to know is the soul of the XKR that much better! You know the extra burble, the super Charger sound and the R badge. So thoughts please as I have decided on buying a coup and the difference is a lot prob about 6-8 thousand unless I want a high miler XKR with at least 70000 miles on it ( prod driven the doors off)

Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Several with the XK have complained about a very annoying exhaust drone at cruising rpm that can not be fixed it would seem, despite some trying various fixes. As collectible cars become older it seems the higher performance models are the ones that are more coveted. The two will ride and corner differently. Try both and see which you prefer for your type of driving, and if the XK is your preference just make sure it's exhaust isn't going to be a problem (long drive required as the droning sound apparently starts or changes once it gets fully hot). Subtle appearance differences, and the XKR has the extra exhaust tips, which I've heard is actually quieter...well until you put the spurs to it and thrill admiring on-lookers!

Bruce

The following users liked this post:
Robert Page (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Hate to bounce the answer right back to you but, have to say first that the choice is purely personal; Yours.

My example; I am an aging, retired race driver who always appreciated every extra horse-power and modified nearly every car I had owned before.

Still, I made the decision to get the XK simply because I looked at my intended use. It is my car that gets me to my occasional contract work, 150 mostly freeway miles away. So, comfort is the number one issue, probably that "makes-me-feel-good-looks" is second and power is somewhere down on that priority list.

The XK gets probably the same amount of admiration from the public that have no idea about the differences between the two models, while it will also get you a bit better fuel mileage to boot. After this week of driving my XK indicated 26.9 MPG over the last 4000 miles, again, due to mostly freeway driving.

I'm VERY happy with my choice, really do not miss the extra power as the XK feels surprisingly quick as it is. It feels much quicker than my old '05 XK did which was quick enough to be rewarded by a ticket for passing at 94 MPH in a 55 MPH zone .

As far as retained resale value between the two, I do not know that variable. You have to do some research on that, if such is a consideration.

Hope this helps,

Best of luck,

Albert

Robert Page (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

As Albert said, it has to come down to what fits YOU the best. I have a 2013 XK coupe on order, and I'll tell you how I made that choice for myself.

I mentioned to someone earlier today that I'm probably the only person on this forum who prefers the XK hood to the XKR hood. IMO, the hood vents turn the car into an aggressive muscle car, and I'm not a muscle car kind of guy. I think the lines of the XK hood are sleeker, cleaner, and more elegant. (think Maserati) I sure do wish the XK had the quad exhausts, though. So, I prefer the XK front end, but the XKR back end.

You should also know that the XKR will have a stiffer suspension, and it will also get worse gas mileage.

As far as power goes, while the XKR power is totally awesome, I know that I would almost never use it. The XK power will surely be enough for me.

The "r" badge is meaningless to me.

I have a very good friend who has the 2010 XKR coupe. Black on Black. He always talks about the testosterone rush he gets when he stands in front of his car, and from the sound the car makes at start up. He can't believe that I'm only getting the XK. So, I told him that I have plenty of testosterone all on my own. :-)

My XK will be Indigo Blue, with Ivory/Charcoal interior. This is a reflection of me. A black on black XKR would not be a reflection of me. What's wonderful about this car is that we all get choose which one fits us best.

Having said all of that, though, I'd take an Aston Martin DBS in a heartbeat! :-)

Robert Page (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

As other say, its a personal call....

Having had my '07 for only 4 months now, I'm not sure I'm overly qualified like so many long term owners.
But opinions I have (as many here will attest) so I'll offer what I can.

Part of this must explain a little "about me", to see if the data is relevant to you.
First off, a used XK was at the outer limits of my spending ability so unlike many here blessed with a lifestyle I only see in magazines, I consider the chance the buy and drive such a fine machine (abet used,) a very real privilege.
The Jag has its reputation(maintenance), and that kept me worried enough to want to avoid high mileage versions if possible. So an XKR of comparable mileage was an easy $12K more. I simply couldn't do that. (Side note: so far 2 visits and $1800 in service fees has me thankful of a warranty)

The XK is a stunning machine to drive. I have already put about 4000 miles on her, and summer hasn't even gotten here yet! Keep in mind driving is still my form of entertainment.

Do I wish for an XKR? Most certainly.... Why? Well for two reasons mostly.

The first being that I came from a car that was faster off the line than my jag (Lexus IS350), so it haunts me to have knowledge that a modern built 3.5l V6 was actually a better motor than the 10 year old tried and true 4.2l.

The second reason is that the XK projects a stance that is untouchable by most cars on the road. The XKR package makes it more than just a projection. There is something about having the grunt to back the looks that I feel certainly would help complete the package. With the XK you simply don't have the power to weight of more modern (and even some older) cars you share the road with, so you resign yourself to just looking d@mn good!

So... Here I just laid out a few bummers for you to think about, but let me go the next step and say that the XK is an amazing car to drive. It excites me every time I walk up to it, sit down and hit the start button. Unlike the Lex, this is certainly a Grand Touring car, and in 4 months I have already racked over 4000+miles on her (and summer isn't even here yet!). The ease of eating up blacktop while relaxed with a single thumb hooked on the steering wheel (The Lex required two hands at 70+mph) still puts a smile on my face. And the looks and complements you get is priceless.

As I said at the beginning, to me it is still a privilege to even experience such a car, and other than the occasional whim of wishing for more power, (and maybe better electronics) I find myself with no regrets in buying an XK.

In conclusion, for me:
Could I have bought an XKR? = No, due to limited funds or I certainly would have.
Would I do it at the expense of double the mileage? = No (Any car with high output tends to live a hard life, so you need to be alert to how she was cared for. "Ridden hard and put away wet" opens the door for high maintenance as she ages further.)

Do I dream of my XK with XKR power? = Yes

BOL
Vince

Last edited by CleverName; 04-28-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Robert Page (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Whether you use it or not, I think you will regret not getting the "R." The extra HP is a rush and usually extra options come with the "R" version.

How much is the price difference?

I don't wish I had purchased a 67 Shelby Mustang instead of that 289 Ford Mustang because I bought the Shelby. (In 1974! Wish I still had it, lol!)

You only live once!
Vector

Robert Page (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Thank you all for the advice, I drive my wife's XK and love it. Must say that I am in the XK camp at the moment as its comfort I am after but jury is def still out. I suppose the crunch will come when I see the right car on offer as I do have a budget to stick to.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

I have an 07 XK Coupe. If I have any regrets at all, it's that my car does not have the power of my (gone but not forgotten 05 XJR). 385 hp vs 300hp. The difference in real world terms is that the XJR quietly surged past my comfort level and the XK makes a big production of getting past my comfort level.

Be the above as it may I did not buy an XKR because:

1. When I was in the mkt they cost 5 to 7 thousand US dollars more. It's not that they aren't worth it, after all they sell like hot cakes, the issue was it wasn't worth it to me. Price being equal I would be driving an XKR.

2. The 07 XK Coupe is IMHO "classic". As a poster from earlier in the day pointed out - the design ques of successive XKRs have an "in your face" boy racer quality. The front end of new XKRs is a bit silly, don't you think? This is a totally different approach than that taken on the 05 and up XJ and XJRs. On the 07 XK subtly reigns and I like that. The changes made to the base model XK since 07 have not hurt it too much but none have improved it. I can't say the same for successive XKRs. BTW I have no objection to the radio Ariel either. So there!

Old 04-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Robert,

The XK vs XKR decision is no doubt the classic issue for anyone buying these cars. I did a write-up of my decision process a while back, perhaps you will find it interesting.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...newbies-67368/

Old 04-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Hey Robert - I think since you have owned fast cars in the past you would not miss the XKR's power. If you are like me with certain things, it is "been there done that". I've never been a race car driver, so you have a lot more "been there done that" in your experience.

I've never owned a straight XK. All mine have been XKR's. With this car I *need* the "R"

I've owned the 4.0 liter in an 02 XKR 100, an 07 XKR with the 4.2, and now have the 2010 with the 5L beast - well that's what I call it. The ride in the 02 was ok. The 07 ride was softer than the 02, had 19" wheels and tires and was very pleasant on the open road. I imagine the XK coupe similarly fitted would ride this way and would be very pleasant. The 07 XKR's ride was was almost as good as my wife's VDP.

The 2010 ride is "stiffer" than the 07 and more solid in corners and handling. It also rides well on the open road but is not quite as good as the 07.

Sounds like the XK is a good fit for you and your wants...

Both the XK and XKR are sexy as hell.

Originally Posted by Robert Page
So I want some unbiased views I know I will get at least a few on here. Is an XKR really worth the extra over an XK? I live in an area crawling with police with speed limits of between 25-55mph, I don't attend track days and have had fast TVR's in my passed, so is the extra warranted for me. I love the XK and it's fast enough to lose my license in a heart beat in NC. What I want to know is the soul of the XKR that much better! You know the extra burble, the super Charger sound and the R badge. So thoughts please as I have decided on buying a coup and the difference is a lot prob about 6-8 thousand unless I want a high miler XKR with at least 70000 miles on it ( prod driven the doors off)

Robert Page (04-29-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xkr or xk

I have a 2001 XKR purchased it with 72k miles and put 14k on it the first year.
It is a pleasure to drive and always gets compliments where every it is parked.

I find the sound of the super charger very nice and the push back into your seat the reason i wanted one. The styling is just a work of art. My colors are black on black with 19" wheels.

Best of luck with which ever on you chose

Robert Page (04-29-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by aahmichael
I think the lines of the XK hood are sleeker, cleaner, and more elegant. (think Maserati) I sure do wish the XK had the quad exhausts, though. So, I prefer the XK front end, but the XKR back end.
Totally agree. I was looking for either model (coupe only) and I just could not fall in love with the front end of XKR. XK really nails the form of the car better. As if that was the original drawing and interpretation. The back, well I’d much rather have the quad exhaust. Went on my first 160 RT drive today in my (have had for almost a month) XK. Pretty impressed with the difference sport modes does verse what “it did” in my VDP. Is it more fun driving; a super- fast car slower or a fast car fast?

My eventual pick was based on color combo, wheels, mileage and options. Just happen to be XK, not XKR. I wanted a rare color combo that I thought really popped at the time of searching for a while.

Robert Page (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 AM

Thanks for all the info, would be great to have this group at the Pub all at the same time and have an entertaining afternoon discussing pro's and con's before a gaggle of Jags blasts some country lanes.
Thanks all.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by aahmichael

Having said all of that, though, I'd take an Aston Martin DBS in a heartbeat! :-)
I got the chance to drive my friend's DBS a while back. At that time I had an old-shape (pre-2007) XKR which unsurprisingly, felt and looked nothing at all like the DBS.
When I upgraded to my 2008 XKR Portfolio I was amazed at how surprisingly close the design and feel of driving it was to the DBS. Obviously the Jag is auto not manual and the power is not even close (especially as he had his DBS chipped to about 650hp), but other things like the ride and handling, and more subliminal things like the way the seats feel and hold you and even the same leather smell are highly deja vu.
My car happens to have black leather with white stitching, which also helps the general effect. All the leather trimmed dashboard bits seem to share the same design especially the instrument binnacle and the top of the dash and the glove box look pretty much identical to me at least. There are definately other very Aston-like styling things going on too with the outside, The shape of the flared rear arches etc. Even subtle things like there being a plug in the front bumper for the front tow hook and its being the same position slightly on the passenger side etc. Unlike the old XKR, Under the hood of either car you dont see much at all other than a slab of plastic. The DBS just has nice torsion bars to look at as well though.

I've never driven a DB9 but I'd imagine doing so might feel practically identical to an XKR. I'd guess its all down to Ian Callum being the designer of all 3 cars. Until now I'd never realised how much impact on the experience of whole car the designer has. You can definitely feel his personality through the many commonalities of the 2007+ XKR and the DBS.

oh... and back to the original subject... in my opinion the difference between the 'soul' of the XK and XKR is definately worth the extra money. The XKR ride is less soft over pot-holes than the XK, which would be the only reason I could think of to consider an XK if you can afford either. That said, the XKR ride over pot holes feels very well controlled, and is never harsh enough to cause rattles or be unpleasant, like say, the ride a BMW gets.

Last edited by JustNiz; 04-30-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Robert Page (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz

I've never driven a DB9 but I'd imagine doing so might feel practically identical to an XKR. I'd guess its all down to Ian Callum being the designer of all 3 cars. Until now I'd never realised how much impact on the experience of whole car the designer has. You can definitely feel his personality through the many commonalities of the 2007+ XKR and the DBS.
Here is a great video that shows a DBS and XK side by side.

Aston Martin DBS and Jaguar XK - YouTube

Robert Page (05-04-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

I think the line between the '07 cars really just boils down to the buyers performance priorities, not more aggressive grills, hood louvers or any of that silliness The guy who finds the XK's power and handling perfectly adequate isn't likely going to pay the significant premium for the XKR, and may very well discover things that he prefers about the XK, although some seem to want to improve those things after a while. If however the buyer does wants more performance than the XK offers he'll choose an XKR, or a different make and model, all assuming his choices are dictated by performance and not just budget.

But when a guy says I don't need more power "that" often, or "hardly" ever, or even mentions the quad exhaust I figure he wants the XKR but is seeing if he can talk himself out of it. I think to myself that'll be the next guy to post a question about trying to improve the performance of an XK, or ask where he can get an 'R' badge and exhaust. One guy just wanted extra fake exhaust tips so it would look like an R

So my suggestion is that if you're on the fence which to buy because you're not sure if you'll need the extra awesomeness, the smart money is on the XKR. Otherwise it may not be long until you decide you do actually crave more performance, and you'll become miserable with regret and jealousy, and start rationalizing why you bought the XK. I've never been disappointed with purchasing something a step up from what I could have probably been happy with, since I just spent a little more but got more, but I have regretted trying to save a bit of money by settling for something when I had my doubts about it.

And if I already had an XK, I'm darn sure my second XK would be an Rrrrr! But we're actually lucky to be able to choose between performance levels because back when they made my last XK it was an E-Type...and there was only one. It was all performance from skinny bumper to bumper. 4.2L straight six coupled to a 4 speed manual and limited slip diff that sling-shot it to 59 mph in 1st, 89 in 2nd, 123 in 3rd and 155 in 4th with the 3.07 rear end. It wasn't a woman's (or girlie man's) sports car because you needed a strong left leg for the clutch, and strong forearms to steer it at parking lot speeds. No power steering or automatic tranny until the V12 was introduced in '71. There was no XKE 'Light'...it was all performance or get lost.

That was the essence of the iconic thing that was considered by many to be the most beautiful sports car ever...hood louvers and all. Of course it needed them to let the intense engine heat out, something the powerful XKR generates a little of also. So when I was looking for my next XK I went for the soul I had known and loved, and found it's alive and better then ever in the XKR.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 04-30-2012 at 08:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce H.:
JustNiz (05-01-2012), Robert Page (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 03:30 PM
TTC
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had been in the market for a xkr coupe when I got a cracking deal on a xk convertible.

Now that I've got it I still admire the xkr's purposeful stance and additional aggressiveness. But do I regret buying a xk instead of a xkr? Not at all. It's a properly quick car which from 2010 onwards isn't that far off the pre- 2010 xkr in terms of power. a gap that can be easily closed with a few tweaks for those so inclined. And while I may admire the xkr's looks the xk's more purer styling has its own charms, and is in any case a far from dull or boring looking car.

I recommend setting out some basic wishes. Color combo's, options, rims. Then pick out a xk within your price range that comes as close as possible to those wishes. Go see it. Drive it. That's the moment you'll be able to tell whether you still need more or if you can be happy with the xk and the spare cash it saves you.

Robert Page (04-30-2012)
Old 04-30-2012, 10:17 PM

Thanks all. I am going to take my time on this one, I am lucky in that I can drive my wife's XK soft top when she lets me. Will def test drive an R to make sure of which way I will go but I think it will be all about what car presents its self because they are few and far between.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

O God. I'm so ashamed. I'm one of "those guys" who wanted a quad exhaust look on my XK even if 2 of the tips were faux. I know it is a character defect and I humbly beg the pardon of you XKR drivers who took offence. I have since come to my senses . On behalf of the other sniveling little punk XK drivers I sincerely apologize.

Seriously, the XKR rear end design is one of the best in the business. Who wouldn't want to emulate it if it could be done without too much expense or mayhem on the car? After all, our cars and many others come out of the factory replete with performance "looking" design flourishes.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
O God. I'm so ashamed. I'm one of "those guys" who wanted a quad exhaust look on my XK even if 2 of the tips were faux. I know it is a character defect and I humbly beg the pardon of you XKR drivers who took offence. I have since come to my senses . On behalf of the other sniveling little punk XK drivers I sincerely apologize.

Seriously, the XKR rear end design is one of the best in the business. Who wouldn't want to emulate it if it could be done without too much expense or mayhem on the car? After all, our cars and many others come out of the factory replete with performance "looking" design flourishes.
OMG...that was you? Now you've cracked me up all over again
Cut it out...ROFLMAO...hahaha
I nominate you for the two most comical JF posts ever!

Bruce

Quick Reply: 2007 XKR is it worth the money over XK