XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 (2007) XK Engine Leaks all over

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy 2009 (2007) XK Engine Leaks all over

Hi So my 2009 XK convertible engine got flooded, was replaced (State Farm insurance) Aug 15 2015 with a 2007 engine. (found out later, not happy!) Jag dealer did work. In Dec 2016 by chance I discovered there were leaks: Front Timing seal, Front Crank seal, Cam Cover Gasket, oil over seal, oil pan gasket oil filter housing gasket = $450. Labor will be $1880. No warranties anymore.
Interesting the first dealer svc had only told me that oil filter housing gasket repair……$463.65 Maybe he didn't thoroughly check OR the 2nd dealer service is just adding on.
How is it that I never had a single leak with old engine and now I have a bunch of bad seals?? Jaguar dealer svc did a bad job? Older engine had bad parts?

Does the labor seem outrageous? It is 14 hours... - AND do all those repairs take that long or is it one - such as the camshaft cover that takes longer?

Can I sue State Farm for giving me a 2007?? Did they put me back in the same position I was in at time of loss? I think not.

UGH

Last edited by CClifton; 03-09-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: clear
Old 03-09-2017, 06:43 PM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

I've moved your question from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to X150 forum. This is the place to post questions about your model.

Graham

Old 03-10-2017, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by CClifton
Hi So my 2009 XK convertible engine got flooded, was replaced (State Farm insurance) Aug 15 2015 with a 2007 engine. (found out later, not happy!) Jag dealer did work. In Dec 2016 by chance I discovered there were leaks: Front Timing seal, Front Crank seal, Cam Cover Gasket, oil over seal, oil pan gasket oil filter housing gasket = $450. Labor will be $1880. No warranties anymore.
Interesting the first dealer svc had only told me that oil filter housing gasket repair……$463.65 Maybe he didn't thoroughly check OR the 2nd dealer service is just adding on.
How is it that I never had a single leak with old engine and now I have a bunch of bad seals?? Jaguar dealer svc did a bad job? Older engine had bad parts?

Does the labor seem outrageous? It is 14 hours... - AND do all those repairs take that long or is it one - such as the camshaft cover that takes longer?

Can I sue State Farm for giving me a 2007?? Did they put me back in the same position I was in at time of loss? I think not.

UGH
I believe the 07 an 09 engines are the same. if your replacement was the same relative mileage as your bad engine, it shouldn't matter and the insurer is entitled to do just that in the fine print.

With regard to your leaks. I suggest you return to the 2nd shop and have them reinspect and SHOW you the actual leaks.

I would also go to a third shop and not mention anything about the previous two visits and get their assessment.

In the end, I would have the shop show me each and every leak. You know what oil looks like. Leaks aren't invisible. If they give you the "our insurance policy doesn't allow for customers to enter our shop" line of bull, run.

Ultimately you're responsible for either trusting the shop or verifying the problem with your own eyes.

Best of luck.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree with Sean, get a third opinion and get the 2nd shop to show you the leaks. One question I would have asked when the '07 engine was installed, where has it been? If it was crated from the factory and sitting on a shelf, then the builders lube would have protected the rubber seals. However if it were a used engine sitting out in a wrecking yard field for a number of years, then the rubber seals could have been stuck to the shafts and were damaged when the engine was turned over for the first time in years. If this were the case, I think the leaks would have shown up a lot sooner than two years. In any case, you are probably hung with the cost of repair. I would look around for an indie. Should be a little less expensive that way.