XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2009 XKR portfolio 32K should I take it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Question 2009 XKR portfolio 32K should I take it?

Neighbor of mine side swiped my 04 XJR and they considered it a total loss so I am now considering a 2009 XKR portfolio with 32K

Questions:
Any major problems and/or common problems that I should look out for in the 2009 MY? I wont have a warranty of any sort so I would like to know what is possibly needing to be replaced around the 32K mileage

The Audi dealer that has this car for sale (owner traded it in for new Q7) wants $35K for the above mentioned XKR portfolio.... I am an all cash buyer and will throw at them my best and final and walk away if they don't accept it...as I could live without driving it home and want to get the best deal possible.
What # would you guys throw out as a best and final knowing that this car was traded in for a new Audi, they likely want it off the lot asap

Any suggestions?

MAHALO

Old 12-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaiianjag
Neighbor of mine side swiped my 04 XJR and they considered it a total loss so I am now considering a 2009 XKR portfolio with 32K

Questions:
Any major problems and/or common problems that I should look out for in the 2009 MY? I wont have a warranty of any sort so I would like to know what is possibly needing to be replaced around the 32K mileage

The Audi dealer that has this car for sale (owner traded it in for new Q7) wants $35K for the above mentioned XKR portfolio.... I am an all cash buyer and will throw at them my best and final and walk away if they don't accept it...as I could live without driving it home and want to get the best deal possible.
What # would you guys throw out as a best and final knowing that this car was traded in for a new Audi, they likely want it off the lot asap

Any suggestions?

MAHALO

The two biggest expenses (you can do a search on this forum) are the leaking a/c drain line (dash or trans has to be removed to repair) and the leather peeling on the dash. If the drain line wasn't repaired before, it will need it eventually. Check the service records. The battery on our cars must always be fully charged or electrical gremlins will tend to crop up. If you have a garage and a battery maintainer that should not be a problem. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

The following users liked this post:
hawaiianjag (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

hawaiianjag,

Tells us more - is it a coupe or convertible? (Why wouldn't you insist on a convertible in Hawaii?) What color is the interior, and what options, if any, does it have? Available options included Alcon brakes and Adaptive Cruise Control. For 2009 XKR Portfolio details, see: 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Details 2009 XKR Portfolios are rare. See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ertible-45154/

Before buying ANY Jag, spend a few bucks and have a Jaguar dealer perform a complete Pre-Purchase Inspection with a written report and checklist. Also take the car to a reputable body shop to inspect it for possible accident damage and repainting (use a paint meter). You can't rely on a so-called "clean" CarFax. See: CARFAX: Not Always All the Facts Buyer beware, and rely only on your own due diligence.

I have not experienced either the clogged a/c drain or leather dash issues that bocatrip mentioned above. The a/c drain issue mainly affects 2007 and 2008 models. See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ot-well-55703/ Leather dash issues result from neglect. My leather dash is like new, but I use leather conditioner, keep it garaged, and I use a reflective sunshade to protect the leather dash from the sun.

Note that a battery maintainer is a must-have: See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lay-ups-73471/ and https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-107738/

I have approximately 34,000 miles on my XKR and it has been very reliable. One catalytic converter was replaced under warranty at 28K miles and new tires and front brake pads at 30K miles. I feel that maintenance "by the book" is key to a trouble-free car. I, too, have no warranty and I'm not concerned.

Most of the Forum members love their XK/XKRs. The sound of the XKR exhaust with fuse 19 removed is addictive: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-19-a-87400/

Jaguar X150 (2007-up XK/XKR) construction is very high tech - robotic and almost entirely aluminum. For a great video, see Post #33: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-112494/page2/

Hope this helps,

Aloha,

Stuart

Attached Thumbnails 2009 XKR portfolio 32K should I take it?-xkr-photo-collage.jpg  

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-29-2014 at 11:52 PM. Reason: added photo collage
The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
hawaiianjag (12-30-2014), ray279 (03-20-2024)
Old 12-30-2014, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
hawaiianjag,

Tells us more - is it a coupe or convertible? (Why wouldn't you insist on a convertible in Hawaii?) What color is the interior, and what options, if any, does it have? Available options included Alcon brakes and Adaptive Cruise Control. For 2009 XKR Portfolio details, see: 2009 Jaguar XKR Portfolio Details 2009 XKR Portfolios are rare. See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ertible-45154/

Before buying ANY Jag, spend a few bucks and have a Jaguar dealer perform a complete Pre-Purchase Inspection with a written report and checklist. Also take the car to a reputable body shop to inspect it for possible accident damage and repainting (use a paint meter). You can't rely on a so-called "clean" CarFax. See: CARFAX: Not Always All the Facts Buyer beware, and rely only on your own due diligence.

I have not experienced either the clogged a/c drain or leather dash issues that bocatrip mentioned above. The a/c drain issue mainly affects 2007 and 2008 models. See: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ot-well-55703/ Leather dash issues result from neglect. My leather dash is like new, but I use leather conditioner, keep it garaged, and I use a reflective sunshade to protect the leather dash from the sun.

Note that a battery maintainer is a must-have: See https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lay-ups-73471/ and https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...lation-107738/

I have approximately 34,000 miles on my XKR and it has been very reliable. One catalytic converter was replaced under warranty at 28K miles and new tires and front brake pads at 30K miles. I feel that maintenance "by the book" is key to a trouble-free car. I, too, have no warranty and I'm not concerned.

Most of the Forum members love their XK/XKRs. The sound of the XKR exhaust with fuse 19 removed is addictive: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...se-19-a-87400/

Jaguar X150 (2007-up XK/XKR) construction is very high tech - robotic and almost entirely aluminum. For a great video, see Post #33: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-112494/page2/

Hope this helps,

Aloha,

Stuart
Totally agree with Stuarts comments.....

I see the ad.....

Used Used 2009 Jaguar XKR AUTO For Sale | Honolulu HI | SAJWA46C799B29592 | Serving Kaneohe & Waipahu, Hawaii

I own a 2009 XKR PE Vert.....it's been a great car. 20 months into ownership with 16,500 miles. Cost so far has been $135.00 for oil change and filter and $15.00 for a cabin air filter.

Looks like an ok price that is being offered. I would never sell mine for this price, but mine has the Alcon brake system which was a $5000 option.

CarFax looks very clean, and appears the car was a lease car. Hawaiian ownership 100%.

I have had no problems with drain plugs or leather dash.

Rare car, with only 200 verts made and 180 coupes.

Ask lots of questions here, as most likley we have the answers.

Here's a Carfax report on the car.........check this out.

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2009 JAGUAR XKR PORTFOLIO: SAJWA46C799B29592

This should really help.

After further review, I doubt this Jaguar has the Alcon brakes and rotors, looks like the base brakes due to the orginal MSRP on the car, nor does it have the Adaptive Cruise Control.

Looks like a $33,000-$34,000 car to me. Low ball ($$$) the dealer, they can always counteroffer.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 XKR portfolio 32K should I take it?-2009-jaguar-xkr-pe-hawaii.jpg  

Last edited by richzak; 12-30-2014 at 08:57 AM.
hawaiianjag (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 08:52 PM

thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate your advice and tips.
good to know the 07 and 08 are the ones with the ac drain problem. Does anyone recall an 09 with this problem? Trans out for a ac drain fix? damn thats rough
anyone know ballpark the price to have an indy jag shop do the work?
the dealer just put up stock pics of xks in the ad so I don't have good pics yet but should tomorrow.
Let you guys know if I pull the trigger. The new Xks are very appealing

Old 12-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I'd walk away and look for 2010+ XKR instead

hawaiianjag (01-01-2015)
Old 12-31-2014, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I'd walk away and look for 2010+ XKR instead
Hard to understand the logic on this post. Why walk away, because of the 5.0L vs the 4.2L?

The guy lives in Hawaii on Oahu. Very few roads on the island can be driven over 45 to 50 MPH except for the major freeways.

The 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition Convertible is quite rare (just 200 produced for USA distribution). It's a convertible worth probably $4000 more than the coupe. He has a top down climate environment where weather is almost the same temps every day. The CarFax is very clean. He has new rotors and pads installed. There is no indication of any major mechanical problems.

Yes, he has read some of the forum posts, which can scare the hell out of you thinking and getting a mindset that these Jags are plauged with issues when they are not.

Also consider the price. If the body and paint is clean, a $33,000 to $34,000 deal is pretty darn good. He lives in Hawaii, and I am quite sure that perhaps he may own the only 2009 XKR PE Convertible that might even be on the islands. The previous corporate lease took the hit on depreciation.

If he bought this baby in the USA and had it container shipped, it would cost thousands. Sales tax on cars is cheap in Hawaii compared to other homeland states.

If this guy doesn't get it, someone will end up with a nice Jaguar at about 1/3 of the original MSRP. The car was continously serviced by a dealership not an independent as most of it's life it was a corporate lease deal, so most likely the best of mechancial work was done by the dealer, not some independent shop.

He gets a supercharged engine, rather than a regular XK engine..

Holy smokes, what more could you ask for?

Last edited by richzak; 12-31-2014 at 04:33 PM.
hawaiianjag (01-01-2015)
Old 01-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Didn't notice he was in Hawaii, I guess that limits examples available or costs a lot extra for shipping. I just like the looks of the 2010+ better along with all the design improvements.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:49 PM

Thanks again guys! anyone know exactly what they changed for the 2010 model besides engine? I can't notice much of a difference in looks on the exterior. I know that the shifter is changed to that silver puck rather than J gate shifter and the exterior side badge is different.

I hate to admit it but in Hawaii its hard to push a cars limits and experience it's full potential. There is a few straight away runs in the country where I took my 2012 Yamaha R1 to 163mph (fastest I've ever been in any ground vehicle so far) When I purchase my first Ferrari or Lamborghini it will most likely not be in Hawaii. Having a Ferrari or Lambo type supercar in Hawaii is just a status symbol. There aren't even race tracks in Hawaii anymore.

Thank you Richzak for laying out everything for me, much appreciated. I was thinking of coming in at $31,500 cash out the door and work on getting it as close to that number as possible. Probably wont pay more than $33K out the door for it though. Don't need to get this car right now but it helps that it would probably be the only XKR portfolio on the island. Even in my 04 XJR I wouldn't see the same body type x350 Jag for months(never saw another XJR ever) Would have to get it fully inspected at the Jaguar dealership before following through of course. The roads in Hawaii are brutal. I had to replace almost every suspension component of the 04 XJR when I got it around 34K miles

Mahalo

Last edited by hawaiianjag; 01-01-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks again guys! anyone know exactly what they changed for the 2010 model besides engine? I can't notice much of a difference in looks on the exterior. I know that the shifter is changed to that silver puck rather than J gate shifter and the exterior side badge is different.

I hate to admit it but in Hawaii its hard to push a cars limits and experience it's full potential. There is a few straight away runs in the country where I took my 2012 Yamaha R1 to 163mph (fastest I've ever been in any ground vehicle so far) When I purchase my first Ferrari or Lamborghini it will most likely not be in Hawaii. Having a Ferrari or Lambo type supercar in Hawaii is just a status symbol. There aren't even race tracks in Hawaii anymore.

Thank you Richzak for laying out everything for me, much appreciated. I was thinking of coming in at $31,500 cash out the door and work on getting it as close to that number as possible. Probably wont pay more than $33K out the door for it though. Don't need to get this car right now but it helps that it would probably be the only XKR portfolio on the island. Even in my 04 XJR I wouldn't see the same body type x350 Jag for months(never saw another XJR ever) Would have to get it fully inspected at the Jaguar dealership before following through of course. The roads in Hawaii are brutal. I had to replace almost every suspension component of the 04 XJR when I got it around 34K miles

Mahalo
I would think that if you can pick this up for $31,500 I would not hesitate. I agree on the roads. I spent a full month living like the locals up in Punaluu last year. Drove Oahu every day, on the highways, backroads, in the mountains, along the coastal roads. Rural roads can be rough. I know if I had my 2009 XKR Portfolio, I would really enjoy the car in your environment.

Good idea, very good, NOT to make this an impulse purchase. In addition, I love the attitude, "If I can't get it for my price, I won't buy it."

Keep us posted if you get it.

hawaiianjag (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 03:03 PM

cheers richzak,

if you are ever on oahu again PM me, drinks on me somewhere. I don't have any fellow Jaguar owner friends. Most of my friends are poor surfers driving 1980s toyotas haha

Aloha

richzak (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

cheers richzak,

if you are ever on oahu again PM me, drinks on me somewhere. I don't have any fellow Jaguar owner friends. Most of my friends are poor surfers driving 1980s toyotas haha

Aloha

Don't laugh.....Those 1980 Toyotas always start!!! lol Good luck.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Aloha All & HawaiianJag!
I bought the bugga you were looking at from Audi for $29K! I also read your earlier postings while I was researching it.

Here is the scoop! Audi took it in on trade, original owner leased it and took good care of it at Jag Honolulu. Although Audi and Jag are owned by the same company Audi never took the car to Jag for an inspection. Big problem and BTW all the advice the guys gave you was good!

Turned out when I bought it my adaptive headlights were shot, my kitty was cross-eyed and the battery was dying. I got Audi to cover it only because I know a big wig who works for the owner - otherwise I would have had a $3-4K repair bill for the headlights!

I added the remote convertible top module so my fob can lower the top. Super cool and I highly recommend it! I had jag install the remote module along with a needed rear brake job and replacement of the passenger foot-well felt that hides the speaker. Another $3K.

Now I'm noticing the dash leather is warping and bubbling - which was a noted problem. Repalcement Dash is $4K Plus 10 hours of labor. Rather than shelling out for the new dash I think I'll have Jag pull the dash and run it to the local auto upholstery shop and have them re-stretch, glue and staple it. The total job should cost under 2K.

On the upside, God I love this car! Its like a bombshell girlfriend that requires a lot to keep her happy. She is gorgeous! Fat and balding is no way to go through life, but at least I'm driving in style! Let me know if you want a ride!
Aloha Bruddah!
Thomas

hawaiianjag (05-29-2015)
Old 05-29-2015, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Congrats Thomas, you done good! Stay in touch. Hawaii is a great place to own a JAG.
Now, get a Hula girl to keep you safe........

Attached Thumbnails 2009 XKR portfolio 32K should I take it?-hula-girl.jpg  
Old 05-29-2015, 03:19 PM

Aloha HawaiiRealtor,

Congrats on the new XKR. There is actually another portfolio up for sale now but a coupe. The guy wants 37K for it! You scored! I believe the mileage is around the same area as well. I ended up getting another XJR but might take you up on that ride someday and perhaps talk some business, I am also involved in Hawaii real estate and developing a phone app for real estate services that you may want to be a part of, in some way. Enjoy that new cat and reach out sometime if you like AllHomesHawaii@gmail.com

Aloha

Old 05-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Congrats Thomas, you done good! Stay in touch. Hawaii is a great place to own a JAG.
Now, get a Hula girl to keep you safe........

Hawaii is a great place to own a Jag???? If I were able to afford to live in Hawaii, I would be content driving a Toyota Yaris!!!!!

PS. I too am a Realtor in Florida.