XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2010 XKR Adaptive Cruise Problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 08:06 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2010 XKR Adaptive Cruise Problem

I have recently purchased a 2010 XKR Convertible. The adaptive cruise control frequently drops out and when I try to reset it I get the Radar Sensor Blocked message. I cannot reset the cruise until I stop and cycle the ignition. It never seems to work for more than 30 - 45 minutes before it quits.

I know there was a TSB for the 2007/2008 models but I can't find anything for the 2010 models.

Also, a clear bra was installed on the car before I got it and I have been led to believe that the clear bra should not interfere with the radar signal.

The car is at my dealer now having some other issues resolved but he doesn't seem to have a solution for the cruise.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I've a 2007 that did this but mostly on long drives. It would drop out after??? 700-1000 miles and would work right away again if I switched off the ignition and got back on the hwy. Might drop out again in the next couple hundred miles or so. Might not. It did this on numerous trips of long distance. Never driving around town. AFter I bought a new cuise unit (the one behind the rear seats) and had it calibrated by the dealer, this problem happens no more.

Sometimes I found if I just drove with my foot for say thirty minutes, with the fail message on display, then I could re-engage it and it would work for quite sometime. If I didn't wait, it would not re-engage at all. Sounds like some element needed a cooling down time to get functioning.

That said I also have a ML350 Bluetec who's Distronic (adaptive cruise by another name) dropped out yesterday in a pouring rain but started working after the rain stopped. Quite another poblem altogether, but in my first two trips in the ML earlier this year, it dropped out on trips to Corpus Christi for no known reason at all. Acted just like the Jaguar problem and would reset if I pulled over and restarted the car. This problem on the ML has since disapeared other than the rain incidence yesterday.

By the way, Adaptive Cruise Control, when working, works MUCH better than the Mercedes Distronic. Mercedes needs to copy Jaguar on this (other than the dropping out feature).

Old 09-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a clear bra on my 10 with adaptive cruise and have no problems at all. The radar unit does have the ability to become faulty over time though, and I'd be willing to bet that's what is acting up. The only time I've ever seen the 'radar blocked' message was on a Jag group cruise over the mountains and we got caught in a snow storm. When we got off the mountain, the entire front intake was caked in snow so... it was telling the truth.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Assume that your car is not lowered or has an otherwise changed suspension stance that would effect the "aiming" of the radar beam? Has the dealer checked the aiming calibrations on the front mounted unit?

Old 09-26-2014, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,132 Likes on 3,379 Posts

I suggest removing the clear bra, even though you were led to believe that it would not interfere with the radar signal and Rahtok has had no trouble with his. Yours might not be identical to Rahtok's. I would first rule out the possibility that it's the bra since the owner's manual cautions against the use of "vehicle front protectors" or anything else that could interfere with the radar transmitter including dirt, badges, etc. Maybe you'll get lucky and the ACC will work fine after the bra is removed. If not, it's cheap enough to replace it if you wish to do so.

Just my