Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 XKR 5.0 Makes a loud knocking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
At this point, I think it may have to do with G-force or Windage conditions in the oil pan causing the pick up to go dry, even with the proper oil level in the car.
Oil burning also could be an issue.

A number of F-types reported mysterious 'oil starvation' issues that grenaded engines.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Don't get me wrong guys as I think the decision by Jaguar to go without physical gauges was not smart but it seems they went with the present strategy of don't confuse the old buyers with gauges. I've only remembered 2 cars that I've owned over the last 55 or so years that didn't have any gauges other then speedo and gas. Then again I also had a weekly habit of checking all fluids. So knowing the exposure we have without knowing some important information I would assume that we are all looking/using optional methods to assuring that we know what these reading are. So the liability falls on ourselves .

Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Do these cars even remind us to change the oil? Mine hasn't yet. To me it's inconceivable to not have a mileage / time minder for changing the oil on a 2007 or newer vehicle.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Sorry, but I have not read every post. If my XK or any car I might own is diagnosed with a rod Knock ( which is not difficult to diagnose). unfortunately, for me I would abandon the ship. To me this is is equivalent to tell the patient the cancer has matastersized. The end of the road.. No one on this forum can say with all honesty, that fixing a rod knock is a walk on the beach! It's actually the worse that can happen other than total detonation. No simple fix. So my friend.... Let it go. look for another car. And there are many out there. Give this one a proper burial if you so choose. Cars can replaced. People can not.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

When I bought my 2010 XKR about 5 years ago, the engine was replaced at the time of my purchase due to my mechanic's hearing rod knocking at my inspection of the car. It turns out that there was little to no oil in the engine. The lack of a dipstick drives me nuts, and so like Jagtoes, I check my oil before I start the car in the morning for the first time, because I don't always have 20-30 minutes to wait for the ability to electronically check it. While 5.0L engine failures and replacement are known, it's not a commonplacr ocurrance, and can usually be traced to a maintenance issue.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

Somehow I think the Paul Gentilozzi RSR Jaguar XKR GT has a full set of gauges but then again most of the electronics have been gutted and redone. As I've mentioned in the past I'm sure there is a port somewhere in the engine where you could install an oil pressure sending unit along with an oil temp unit and somewhere where a water temp sending unit could go. Then again with a little creativity you could replace the speedo with one that has a built in OP and OT gauge and on the tach one with WT and Voltage. Just thinkin out loud

Old 01-22-2018, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Do these cars even remind us to change the oil? Mine hasn't yet. To me it's inconceivable to not have a mileage / time minder for changing the oil on a 2007 or newer vehicle.
Nope, there is a low oil pressure warning light. Manual for 07- 09 says check the oil once a week.

The following users liked this post:
Ranchero50 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I haven't seen it yet because I haven't had the car long but the 5.0 litre cars supposedly do.

What I find really strange is that there are two ways of reading the oil level on the 5.0 litre cars. The typical way is to wait 10 minutes or so after switch off until the car decides it will allow you to read it and the other way is to put it in to service mode and get an instant reading. The non service mode way is actually an average built up over time so why on earth it can't let you display it straight away is beyond me!

Service interval indicator
The service interval message will only be
displayed when the vehicle has less than
3400 km (2000 miles) before the service is
due.

When the ignition is switched on, and the
vehicle has started its service countdown,
SERVICE REQ’D XXXX km (XXXX MLS) is
displayed for five seconds in the message
centre with an Amber warning icon.

When the service distance has been reached,
SERVICE REQUIRED is displayed for five
seconds in the message centre, accompanied
by a red warning icon.

The distance countdown reduces in increments
of 50 km or 50 miles, depending on which
display units have been selected.

The distance countdown is controlled by the
engine management system and is
automatically adjusted to allow for driving style
and conditions. This gauges when the service
becomes necessary.

Ranchero50 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Yep, mine does. I don't know what MILEAGE it takes to show the Service Required message, but it has come on every 365 days since I bought it.
Sad that the 4.2s don't have it.

'Service Required' Message appears on dashboard (2009+ models in the UK, 2010+ models
elsewhere):
-This service reminder message sometimes appears as a result of the battery disconnect. Reset
it as follows:

1. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch (before the ignition is on).
2. Press the start button without applying the foot brake (do not start the engine)
3. Release the rear fog lamp switch (1sec)
4. Press and hold the trip computer cycle switch (within 1sec).
5. Press and hold the rear fog lamp switch. (within 1sec)
6. Continue to hold the trip computer and rear fog lamp switches.
7. The message center should display "resetting service mode" and then "service mode reset"
8. Release the trip computer and the fog lamp switches and turn the ignition off.

Ranchero50 (01-30-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Oil burning also could be an issue.

A number of F-types reported mysterious 'oil starvation' issues that grenaded engines.
Two of the cases of knock from oil starvation on 5.0L XKR's that I've seen on the forum did not have low oil in crank case as the blame. Although as they were taken care of by warranty engine replacement, the original posters with the two different cases never were able to find out the exact details.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:19 AM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Ranch I must be reading a different form as I have not seen/heard of any engine issues with the 5.0 other then a operator error on overheating. I haven't seen any oil usage issues and considering the number of 5.0 engines produced don't see any internet data supporting it. This form has a small group of posters and as normal any problem issues becomes blown out of proportion. Even the supposed water pump discussions don't have major supporting data. As I mentioned I would challenge the dealer requiring more info .
In November JLR replaced the engine in my '13 R, with 20K on the clock, for a slight knocking/ticking they determined was caused by an "internal component failure".

Old 01-29-2018, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buddhaboy
In November JLR replaced the engine in my '13 R, with 20K on the clock, for a slight knocking/ticking they determined was caused by an "internal component failure".
Thanks and we can add this to the data base. Now we have 3 out of 25,000 XK's with this issue.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks and we can add this to the data base. Now we have 3 out of 25,000 XK's with this issue.
Facetious doesn't wear well on you. Look at this thread from the perspective of the poor ******* that's facing a huge bill for a smoked low mileage engine and comes online looking for 'evidence' of why and perhaps you'll understand why it's relevant to keep this discussion going.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Facetious doesn't wear well on you. Look at this thread from the perspective of the poor ******* that's facing a huge bill for a smoked low mileage engine and comes online looking for 'evidence' of why and perhaps you'll understand why it's relevant to keep this discussion going.
Ranch just trying to put this into proper perspective. Watching your post shows me the insight and initiative as to your work ethic and that being the case we shouldn't work on assumptions without significant data to support them. I don't have a problem with people stating problems and looking for help / guidance. In my prior life data was paramount in making million dollar decisions so I'm just trying to see if there is a trend. Unfortunately on these type of forms we won't be able to acquire much credible data but it is also important to dis-spell unsupported information. Also don't want to dissuaded someone from buying one of this cars based on a few posts. Just my opinion.

Ranchero50 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

To get a better picture you should probably look at XJ's and XF's as well as they tend to do higher mileage between services so if low oil is the main issue you will see more problems there.

This one might have just joined the club:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...topping-196045

Old 01-30-2018, 08:45 PM

Perhaps your observation is correct. Or maybe one should not be looking at Xk's, but at 5.0L engines since this is an issue across models. How many replaced engines would it take for you consider it more than an anomaly?

Old 01-30-2018, 08:58 PM

Ranch just trying to put this into proper perspective. Watching your post shows me the insight and initiative as to your work ethic and that being the case we shouldn't work on assumptions without significant data to support them. I don't have a problem with people stating problems and looking for help / guidance. In my prior life data was paramount in making million dollar decisions so I'm just trying to see if there is a trend. Unfortunately on these type of forms we won't be able to acquire much credible data but it is also important to dis-spell unsupported information. Also don't want to dissuaded someone from buying one of this cars based on a few posts. Just my opinion.
Let me add a bit more perspective. I brought my car in for a few small issues and a ticking was just one. it was slight enough that the SM had to compare it to another XKR that happened to be in for service as well. JLR determined on their own, based on information from the dealer that I was unaware of, and without any prodding from me to replace the engine. Maybe they wanted it returned so they could investigate why such a rare event had happened, or maybe this is a narrative they already know the ending to. Metal was found in the oil, so bearing failure was assumed. Would this stop me from buying another. No. Absolutely not. Would I want an oil analysis before committing? Absolutely yes.

ralphwg (01-31-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps your observation is correct. Or maybe one should not be looking at Xk's, but at 5.0L engines since this is an issue across models. How many replaced engines would it take for you consider it more than an anomaly?
I thought this was an interesting article. https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/most-reliable-engines/

The following 3 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Cee Jay (01-30-2018), ralphwg (01-31-2018), thocar (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 07:10 AM

I thought this was an interesting article. https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/most-reliable-engines/
Interesting statistics. My old 635 is at 180K needing only a water pump at 120K, a head gadket at 90K, and regular valve adjustments. My wife has had two Hondas, one hit 320K, the other she drives as a winter car, with 210K, and her Prius has 90K. None experienced any kind of internal issues beyond a water pump for the Accord. I had a new BMW 5 series a few years back which got new pistons courtesy of a factory recall, with less than 10K on the clock. There is a new posting in the F forum of another 5.0L going bad. I'm sincerely hoping this is limited this to just one bad engine per car!

Old 01-31-2018, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting statistics. My old 635 is at 180K needing only a water pump at 120K, a head gadket at 90K, and regular valve adjustments. My wife has had two Hondas, one hit 320K, the other she drives as a winter car, with 210K, and her Prius has 90K. None experienced any kind of internal issues beyond a water pump for the Accord. I had a new BMW 5 series a few years back which got new pistons courtesy of a factory recall, with less than 10K on the clock. There is a new posting in the F forum of another 5.0L going bad. I'm sincerely hoping this is limited this to just one bad engine per car!
Statistic's are usually difficult to grasp when one's history doesn't support some of the findings. My wife's 1989 Volvo 740 just turned 372,000 miles . 1 water pump at 250K and 3 radiators. Other then that just normal maintenance of consumables. Got typical piston slap at 200K but it's still running strong. I consider this abnormal. I forgot to give my opinion on my other post of engine reliability. But my acceptable limit is less then 1%. So if I look at just the 5.0L XK engine there were approx. 28,000 made so you do the math.

Quick Reply: 2011 XKR 5.0 Makes a loud knocking noise