XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2011 xkr opinion

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanU
It is 5 years/50k from date of first sale and does not need to be transfered to new owner. Includes all maintenance as well. Jaguar extended warranty can be purchased much more reasonably if mileage is under 49k and at least 30 days remaining on original warranty. Price jumps significantly after that window.
Correct and incorrect according to Jaguar. It depends on each car. I gave two VINs of these cars. Each was a different warranty of 4yrs and 5yrs. She said it may have been a special promotion at various locations nationwide. At least I know now.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Did you call Jaguar US, or a specific dealer?

http://pa.motorwebs.com/jaguar/cover...ochure_NEW.pdf

According to the PDF "All 2011 Models" are covered 5/50.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:02 PM

I called a specific dealer in Bellevue Washington. I think jaguar told me I had to.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 494 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman-175
Thanks for checking it out and providing input. I drove it today. Two things popped up, one minor. The rear tires are riding on their wear bars, which is illegal in Washington to sell by a dealer. They should be aware of that. Second, at 60 on 405 I heard a deep throaty howl from the front. I verified it isn't engine speed related and I don't think it is the brakes.

I did see the cover. Seems like a clean car. Could that be the water pump? I did plan on bellevue Jag if I purchased it, but they don't want to budge much. I showed them the New York sale. The comment was that sometimes dealers make mistakes and sell things too low. I even showed them the KBB which puts it at about $47000. They simply said KBB didn't take into consideration the rarity of this model. I told him that it says on the KBB sheet they take all sales into account to produce this estimate. He first tried to tell me the NY car was not a 175. I showed him it was by comparing the VINs. One odd thing is that the main VIN is slightly different on the Ebay car.

I am really not sure about buying a car on Ebay unseen... but thanks much.

Any thoughts on the howl from the front? Could it be simply the tires?
Personally, if I was spending that kind of money I would want NO ISSUES. NONE! Either the dealer sorts out the tires and the noise or I would walk. You are not buying a $1500 beater. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-02-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Same Issue

I purchased at 2011 XK in June and have had noise issue specifically at 60 MPH and at no other speed. Car has been serviced on 3 occasions my Jaguar dealership and on the last go-round they told me noise is "Normal" for the car. I wasn't convinced but they test drove a different XK (2012 I believe) and told me it made the same sound.
As I said the issue only occurs at exactly 60 and the car shifts perfectly up and down with no issues. They called the sound the car shifting into "Overdrive."
I am not an expert in these issues and don't know the accuracy of their claim. What I do know is the car operates flawlessly and I am ecstatic to own it.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 877 Posts

That sounds like tyres (completely uninformed opinion, BTW). Mine is a 2011, I don't get any noises at all at 100kph. I get a bit of noise from the steering rack when I am reversing into my car space, which I understand is pretty normal.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:27 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would say that my noise appears to be coming from the exhaust. It is definitely not tire related.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey Fireman... I looked up the VIN in TopiX (https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/ ) The warranty on this car started Jul-28-2010, so it is definitely out of warranty now. For that price, I would want at least some warranty left, and the option to get the lower priced extended warranty.

The following 2 users liked this post by SeanU:
fireman-175 (12-02-2015), ralphwg (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:07 PM

I walked. They would not come down much. No warranty, bald tires (4/32"), has been on their lot since June. Apparently, there is nothing as rare as this one out there, so it deserves a 6k mark up.

I am pretty sure it is the tires. Exhaust would change with putting the car in neutral will rolling and revving the motor. I will keep looking. It seems that the newer models have the same 510 hp engine and hood vents, red calipers, etc. So, maybe the 175 isn't too special...

I'd be happy with one 2011 or newer with low miles. Oh, they informed me that west coast cars are much better condition than any east coast cars. I guess they are right, if the car was driven in the winter...

Old 12-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Fireman,
Send me a private message and I will discuss mine with you

Old 12-02-2015, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Look nationally at Jaguar dealers. If you find the right one, have them bring it to a body shop for inspection on your coin (you can ask for rebate on cost if you buy it). I have bought 2 Jags sight unseen and both were better than described. If you feel the need, put a deposit on it and fly out to see it (and/or drive it home). Schedule a paintless dent removal tech once you get the car in your possession to make it flawless. Just about every car has something to repair, no matter the miles.

XK's aren't on every corner and you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't expand you search radius.

The following users liked this post:
fireman-175 (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Greek175
Fireman,
Send me a private message and I will discuss mine with you
okay, did you get it?

Old 12-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 494 Likes on 360 Posts

I walked. They would not come down much. No warranty, bald tires (4/32"), has been on their lot since June. Apparently, there is nothing as rare as this one out there, so it deserves a 6k mark up.

I am pretty sure it is the tires. Exhaust would change with putting the car in neutral will rolling and revving the motor. I will keep looking. It seems that the newer models have the same 510 hp engine and hood vents, red calipers, etc. So, maybe the 175 isn't too special...

I'd be happy with one 2011 or newer with low miles. Oh, they informed me that west coast cars are much better condition than any east coast cars. I guess they are right, if the car was driven in the winter...
You made the right decision! There is the right car out there if you are patient. Look nationally and travel if necessary. Look for low mileage one owner cars. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Fireman,
I got your message and responded to you privately.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,186 Likes on 3,106 Posts

Same for me. It took a couple months, but I got the XKR I wanted from Texas while I live in Utah. It was the ONLY XKR that fit my requirements with the options I wanted. Chances were that my brother lived less than ten minutes from the dealer! I had him go look at it and all was well. He even 'selflessly' offered to drive it up to me, on my dime of course. When I finally got it, it was the same deal as Mosesbotbol; better than expected. I did have to get two emergency key blades though, there were none with it.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

I bought my XK from a Jag dealer in Asheville, NC. Local car that was a trade in on a newer XK. Pleasant experience all around expect for the auto shipper/broker service.

Never go through an shipper via a broker. They hold your car hostage and you're just f'd and at their mercy. My first shipped Jag was from Delaware and it went to Manheim than Boston. Much cheaper than direct to Boston. Our Range Rover was a regular open haul and it was fine.

Every car I have shipped needed some PDR, but then again my buddy's new 991 needed it too with 150 miles on the odometer...

Old 02-29-2016, 12:52 PM
Default I bought one!

Hi all,

Just to follow up my endeavor, I did buy an XKR 175 out of a Jag dealer in Colorado Springs. With a little detective work, I was able to speak with the guy who bought it new and traded it in on a new one. I felt very comfortable with the purchase after that talk. It has 18k miles on it and great condition. That dealer was also very good to deal with and I would recommend them. I still have the factory warranty until June.

Had it shipped via closed trailer via a shipper/broker. Cost me about $1200 but it was indoors the whole way.

Drives great, has the howl up front (Dunlap howl), but the tires have plenty of tread left. I think I will look into the Michelins later. Boy, it is sure a head turner. One thing I did notice was that the interior walls in the trunk area where they meet the hatch moulding have sunk or pulled away from the rubber moulding. That is leaving a sagging gap on both left and right sides (gravity). Not sure if that is normal or a failure. I am gonna bring that to the dealers attention once winter is over.

Attached Thumbnails 2011 xkr opinion-2016-02-26-12.40.04.jpg  
Old 03-04-2016, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

fireman175
The side walls of the trunk come away from the rubber in mine as well, almost every day. Those walls are simply held in place by the friction in the groove of the rubber moulding and can be pushed in a couple of inches at a time. I have considered using an adhesive inside the rubber to hold it, but am nervous that there are some parts behind the panels that will then not be easily accessible. I actually think the trunk area in the coupe is very, very cheaply put together. The little covers in front of the rear tail lamp assemblies also fall out on a regular basis. And while we're registering complaints (on a car that I love), these cars should have had a rear windshield wiper and a motorized trunk opener and closer. Cars costing one fourth the price of these cars new have these features.

And by the way, congratulations on the purchase of a great car!!!!

Last edited by tberg; 03-04-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello, I am looking at a 2011 XKR R175 at a luxury car used dealer. It has 21,000 miles. It is traditional black on black. It looks clean and well kept from California. My concern is that the carfax has 15 items on it and has had the 15k, 30k, and 45k maintenance done by a Jag dealer in California. It only has 21k on it... maybe the years. Looks like it had a computer repaired or reprogrammed and wiring fixed.

I have never owned one, but have had a couple BMWs. I am hoping for a car that will last me about 10 years for a non-daily driver. I know Jag has some issues over the years, but would like to know if there are any serious things I should be concerned about? They are asking $57k.

Are there some expensive repairs on the horizon?
Thanks!
I picked up a One-owner California 28K mile CPO 2011 XKR 175 one year ago for well under $50K, and it was CPO (certified pre owned), came with a 6 year 100K mile warranty, and was fitted with new tires by the dealer prior to sale.

The 175 is a "special" model, but not special enough to warrant a significant price increase. Basically it is an XKR fitted with a specific combination of (very appealing) options plus some name plates with 175 written on them. I'd pay maybe $2K extra for the privilege of owning a 175 over a standard XKR, hoping - perhaps in vain - for slightly higher resale value in the future.

Maintenance is really not that bad - last week I did a $540 "major" tuneup at 32K miles (triggered by time, not miles) that the dealer paid for, and in a year or 15K miles from now I'll have another one costing I believe $280. Entry-level Audis and BMWs cost more to maintain here in San Francisco. Now if something major fails and you are out of warranty, that's a different story.

Last edited by j.w.s; 03-04-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by j.w.s
The 175 is a "special" model, but not special enough to warrant a significant price increase. Basically it is an XKR fitted with a specific combination of (very appealing) options plus some name plates with 175 written on them.
Yeah, you guys got short-changed - the 75, released at the same time in Europe, had go-faster parts as well as the Speed Pack looks. Still, yours is a damn good car, though.

Quick Reply: 2011 xkr opinion