XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2011 XKR potential purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 12:43 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 2011 XKR potential purchase

I went to look at a pre owned XKR yesterday. I've had my eye on it for a while and I'm considering moving on it. Sold originally at that dealership with full documentation. The current mileage is52K kms or 32684 mi , and seems pretty much perfect - save for what sounded like a minor exhaust leak on the passenger bank. Just a slight fft fft fft fft, not enough to scare me off but it did go away.
Having said all of that, is anyone aware of what else I should be looking at in a 6 year old XKR?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Rattle at cold start. The car must not have been started for 10 hours. Or check if they used Jag specified oil and interval.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Electronics and suspension. Find out what options it has and make sure they work. Run it around with the windows down and listen / feel for bad noises / vibrations.

These cars need to be driven to survive. Mine after sitting for 18 months has a noisy suspension which I'm hoping will quiet down after a couple hundred miles.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 AM
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
I went to look at a pre owned XKR yesterday. I've had my eye on it for a while and I'm considering moving on it. Sold originally at that dealership with full documentation. The current mileage is52K kms or 32684 mi , and seems pretty much perfect - save for what sounded like a minor exhaust leak on the passenger bank. Just a slight fft fft fft fft, not enough to scare me off but it did go away.
Having said all of that, is anyone aware of what else I should be looking at in a 6 year old XKR?
I bought my 2011 XKR Speed Pack Convertible in June 2015 with 55,000 miles on the clock as an Approved Jaguar Used car, from a main dealer here in UK, and I've done a further 8000 miles since then. After I bought it, I found there was some corrosion on the boot (trunk) lid above the full width chrome Jaguar name strip caused by a bi-metallic reaction with the aluminium of the lid - a known issue. I complained to the dealer and Jaguar fixed it under warranty. See my before and after photos here in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rranty-150303/

There's loads of other threads about issues with other model years and where owners have had problems, for example, with the leather dashboard in hot climates - do a search and they will pop up.

I've had no problems with my car other than a flat battery following which I bought a CTEK battery conditioner (as do many others) as I do not use the car on a daily basis. At the service carried out at 62,000 miles, the dealer reported slight play in the rear shock absorbers due to wear in the bushes but otherwise nothing else at all. I'm really pleased with the car which still drives like new - no rattles or squeaks.

I'm surprised that the one that you're looking at has a leak in the exhaust after only 33,000 miles but if the dealer fixes it you should be OK. Whether or not it is a good buy depends on what price is being asked and the general condition of the paintwork and interior. But you've said it is pretty much perfect and the dealer should know it's full history having supplied it originally. Good luck with it - I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Old 04-17-2017, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Does the "full documentation" you note include all maintenance history?
And if so, has the water pump been replaced?

Old 04-17-2017, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Water pumps are a re-occurring issue I see with 5.0L engine XKR's (from reading threads over the years).

Old 04-17-2017, 04:44 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

The exhaust leak sound might be my imagination...I did ask directly about water pump issues and I was assured that if there was an issue it would be in the folder. The car ran and drove like a champ. The GSM said if there is anything to be looked at they will have it sorted out beforehand.