Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XK / XKR ( X150 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/)
-   -   2012 xk with 22,000 miles (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/2012-xk-22-000-miles-216821/)

clay007 04-23-2019 10:15 PM

2012 xk with 22,000 miles

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum so I don't know if this question has been asked. I'm going to look at a 2012 xk with 22,000 miles on it. What are some important things to look for and Important questions to ask?

Stuart S 04-23-2019 10:33 PM

Rule #1: BUYER BEWARE! Never trust the seller (unless it's a CPO from a Jaguar dealer) or rely on CarFax.

You are responsible for doing your own due diligence. You're looking at a 5.0L XK, and the water pump is a known defect. If it hasn't already been replaced, pay attention to any coolant smell as pump failure happens fast and can cause catastrophic engine damage. Has the battery been replaced recently? Get all the service records and see how it drives. Visually inspect everything. If it passes your eyeball test, I recommend that you pay a Jaguar dealer to do a Pre Purchase Inspection using the CPO checklist, including estimates of needed repairs. There are lots of threads on this Forum about what to look for when buying a used XK. Good luck with your search!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dilema-213016/

jeffu 04-24-2019 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 2059893)
You're looking at a 5.0L XK, and the water pump is a known defect. If it hasn't already been replaced, pay attention to any coolant smell as pump failure happens fast and can cause catastrophic engine damage.

Just so I know, is this also something to watch for in the 5.0L XKR's? I would assume so, but just not sure if there is a different coolant setup for the supercharged version vs standard 5.0L?

Stuart S 04-24-2019 09:37 PM

Absolutely. All 5.0L JLR engines produced before (someone help me out, here - 2015?) are vulnerable. You're looking at a 2012 XKR, so you're definitely at risk, even if the pump has already been replaced because there have been so many different pumps. I had the water pump in my 2013 XJ 5.0L SC replaced under warranty at 30K miles, and it will probably fail again. I'm always paying attention for the telltale aroma of coolant. Just a minor inconvenience.

P.S. See this thread from the XJ Forum for the history of the 5.0L water pump, including all the part numbers. The latest version is made in Italy.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...placed-132537/

Mufc 04-26-2019 01:09 PM

The water pump costs about a $1k at the dealer to replace, less at an indie. You are buying a car that cost around 90-100k when new. Repairs will be expensive. My water pump failed at around 30k miles also. If you worry about having to spend a thousand bucks every few years, you should look at other cars. Check the dash pad leather, rear LED's in tail lights, TPMS warnings, Make sure AC blows cold instantly, if not you have sticking DPSV that the dealer will want to change out the compressor for $2500.00. Tires will last about 8-10k miles. Brakes about 25-30k. Supercharger rattling noise at idle caused by worn coupling / snout / shaft / Spring. $1400.00 to fix at dealer.
You get the idea, just be prepared for what you are getting into.

jeffu 04-26-2019 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart S (Post 2060393)
Absolutely. All 5.0L JLR engines produced before (someone help me out, here - 2015?) are vulnerable. You're looking at a 2012 XKR, so you're definitely at risk, even if the pump has already been replaced because there have been so many different pumps. I had the water pump in my 2013 XJ 5.0L SC replaced under warranty at 30K miles, and it will probably fail again. I'm always paying attention for the telltale aroma of coolant. Just a minor inconvenience.

P.S. See this thread from the XJ Forum for the history of the 5.0L water pump, including all the part numbers. The latest version is made in Italy.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...placed-132537/

Hey Stuart S - Thanks for the post and info. Actually, it was the OP that is looking for a 2012 and originally asked the question. I just purchased a 2010 and was just inquiring about the water pumps on those. What you said is good for me to note. I have just a "very slight" tale tell scent of antifreeze on mine "occasionally". For the life of me I have not been able to pinpoint the d@mn leak if there is any. There is nothing dripping on the lower frame covers. Also, I have marked the reservoir tank and have not noticed an drop in coolant in 350 miles since I have owned it. If it has leaked any, it would definitely be < 10mm or less that has dropped in the reservoir tank. I have snooped around the entire motor with my inspection scope and can't really find anything significant in ways of any leak. Only thing I can't really get a visual on is the weep hole on the water pump.

I stopped in at the Jag dealership and they told me I was at least "on top" of things. They said they certainly could bring the vehicle in and look it over if I wanted. Might cost $100 or so. They recommended for me to just keep and eye on things. So, I guess for the time being I will just hold tight and monitor as I go.

jagtoes 04-26-2019 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by jeffu (Post 2061322)
Hey Stuart S - Thanks for the post and info. Actually, it was the OP that is looking for a 2012 and originally asked the question. I just purchased a 2010 and was just inquiring about the water pumps on those. What you said is good for me to note. I have just a "very slight" tale tell scent of antifreeze on mine "occasionally". For the life of me I have not been able to pinpoint the d@mn leak if there is any. There is nothing dripping on the lower frame covers. Also, I have marked the reservoir tank and have not noticed an drop in coolant in 350 miles since I have owned it. If it has leaked any, it would definitely be < 10mm or less that has dropped in the reservoir tank. I have snooped around the entire motor with my inspection scope and can't really find anything significant in ways of any leak. Only thing I can't really get a visual on is the weep hole on the water pump.

I stopped in at the Jag dealership and they told me I was at least "on top" of things. They said they certainly could bring the vehicle in and look it over if I wanted. Might cost $100 or so. They recommended for me to just keep and eye on things. So, I guess for the time being I will just hold tight and monitor as I go.

Take it slow as you are new to the car and getting a little paranoid reading some of these posts. As for the water pump it's a wait and see so all you need to do is a weekly check of the fluids. If you want to check the weep hole in the WP then remove the plastic belly pan and look up at the pump. Move the pulley around and watch it while it's running. Also take a coolant system pressure test and let it sit over night. You will be hearing all kinds of new noises to you and almost all of them will be normal. Oil changes are good for 7500-10,000 miles or once a year. Get yourself one of the methods being used by form members to live monitor water temp and battery voltage. It will give you a little more comfort while driving. Enjoy the ride.

Tp10XKR 04-26-2019 09:55 PM

So all of this info is great and very informative. But if you read the forums and opinions of a few you will become paranoid !!!
I will share my experience as limited as it is with my 2010 XKR. I purchased it at a jaguar dealer in a very rich part of town. The used car manager was a true used car salesman telling me everything I wanted to hear about how he personally knows the last owner and they serviced the car impeccable blah blah blah. The car fax told a complete different story, in fact the car wasn’t even from the area. But the carfax did show good maintenance history and no reported accidents. So I purchased it,.41k miles on her... and I bought a 3 year 36k mile extended warranty for 3,400 bucks. I also negotiated in the sale price two new front tires and an oil change dealer asking price 30k, purchase price 26.5k + warranty

i then fixed most of the little things wrong with her over the winter. Powder coated the wheels added new rear tires, paint correction and paint chip repair. New decals on brake Calipers, painted rotor hats black, fixed glove box dropping and added a Movee IPod blue tooth to stream music (must have)

Since October of last year, I’ve put 1000 miles on her and had her at the dealer 4 times.
1. Oil leak front main seal, which included coolant flush. While in had them replace both belts my cost 50 bucks, rest covered under warranty
2. Found intake tube bands loose when I got home, took back to dealer
3.Coolant leak. Lower coolant hose coolant flush again. Free
4. Coolant leak again, water pump ( second pump) free again all covered under extended warrant

I've almost got my money’s worth on the ext warranty ! Best peace of mind I’ve ever bought and still 2.5 years left. Woot woot

jeffu 04-27-2019 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by jagtoes (Post 2061349)
Get yourself one of the methods being used by form members to live monitor water temp and battery voltage. It will give you a little more comfort while driving. Enjoy the ride.

Yes, I need to take a breath and just relax. I know I am doing what I should be doing by monitoring the coolant level. I might take the car over to a buddy of mine and put it on the lift and pull the belly pan so I can have a visual of the weep hole. In reality what is the worst that can happen the damn pump gives out and I have to replace it. Not the end of the world! Yes, these cars might be a bit more expensive to operate and maintain but I knew that before purchasing it. Such is Life.

I did install a battery monitor. I use these little gizmos for our work vans to monitor the AUX battery hooked up to the inverter. I had to get creative in mounting it. I choose a GoPro box....Ha,Ha. I think it turned out pretty nice. Easy enough to remove at any time if I need to.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...41a8387dce.jpg

jagtoes 04-27-2019 02:13 PM

[QUOTE=jeffu;2061605]Yes, I need to take a breath and just relax. I know I am doing what I should be doing by monitoring the coolant level. I might take the car over to a buddy of mine and put it on the lift and pull the belly pan so I can have a visual of the weep hole. In reality what is the worst that can happen the damn pump gives out and I have to replace it. Not the end of the world! Yes, these cars might be a bit more expensive to operate and maintain but I knew that before purchasing it. Such is Life.

I did install a battery monitor. I use these little gizmos for our work vans to monitor the AUX battery hooked up to the inverter. I had to get creative in mounting it. I choose a GoPro box....Ha,Ha. I think it turned out pretty nice. Easy enough to remove at any time if I need to.

OK cool. I use this .

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...ff216b0249.jpg

Cee Jay 04-27-2019 02:34 PM

Novel mounting spot in the back like that, but out of the way and still accessible. I like it.

Me though, I chose a different route:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...1861fa9303.jpg

jagtoes 04-27-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2061669)
Novel mounting spot in the back like that, but out of the way and still accessible. I like it.

I was considering but I run with the nav. screen up all of the time so it wouldn't work for me. Good show.

jeffu 04-27-2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cee Jay (Post 2061669)

Right on! UMMM....I'm very intrigued now. How? Are you interfacing with another tablet?

Cee Jay 04-27-2019 05:02 PM

It's a thread started by Sean W. Not a long read, and was actually pretty easy to accomplish;

Replacement of HKS Camp2

jeffu 04-27-2019 05:54 PM

Very cool, thanks for that! I figured it was probably posted before and I appreciate you supplying the link!