Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Replacement of HKS Camp2

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts
Default Replacement of HKS Camp2

As I’ve mentioned in other threads, the HKS Camp2 set up by WhiteXKR is a great set up. The problem, for me at least, is the cost of HKS and the rarity. The following is my approach that includes GVIF but replaces the HKS Camp 2 with an android box.

First, a big thank you to Steve, flyc2c, kj07, Ralph, Marque and everyone who preceded this.

I started by following flyc2c’s post on wiring. There are a few exceptions. Since the link from the media box to OBD2 is via Torque Pro, a BT dongle is used and there is no wiring to the OBD2 port. I’m attaching my wiring diagram.

His post is here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nstall-138621/

Also, as there is no HKS Camp 2, no need to run the IR remote to the right of the ashtray.

MEDIA BOX - A bit about the media box that replaces the HKS Camp2 –
I used Tronsmart Draco AW80, which is out of manufacture, but also irrelevant that it is because you can continue to update android OS if you choose to. There are cheaper ones out there.
It’s an Android Media server and currently runs on lollipop. These boxes are commonly used to connect to TV via HDMI cable and stream video or convert your TV to a tablet. When you first plug it into the TV, it resembles any Android tablet.

Whichever box you choose, and there are many, you want the following for an easy install. You can get them with these features starting at around $60. Though you plug them into the wall, they convert and operate on 12 volts.

Must be an Android media box
Preloaded with Google Play

Must support Bluetooth
Wireless
One HDMI output (but RCA will do)
Two USB ports – one for wireless dongle and one to power the HDMI to RCA converter
Power on at plug in - this one is important unless you want to break open the box to hard wire it to power on in your car. The box can be stored in you glove box but mine is in the boot. Otherwise you’ll have to turn it on every time.
Don’t worry though, most of the older models plug in to start and there is no power switch and that’s a good thing.

I am slowly removing most of the apps that came with the box. (Netflix, etc) as I won’t use them, however, you can actually stream videos if you choose to. This should speed up the system boot process.

Wireless is convenient because you can buy mini keyboards that easily fit in your glove box. It also makes the initial downloads from Google play easy work. It will help with Google Maps too. More on that below.

The media box takes about 1 minute and 10 seconds from start to displaying “Torque pro” app. I have my app default directly to my gauges when it launches. “Auto start” is a free app that instructs the torque app to launch as soon as the system boots so everything is hands off.

CAMERA - Reverse camera will work immediately with the same limitations that currently exist with GVIF as the camera is GVIF related and has nothing to do with the media box. Note that I’m still holding out hope for Cambo’s Fakra reverse camera solution but I did plug in my back up camera directly to GVIF without using a relay and it seemed to work fine. You’ll see the relay in my diagram but for now, I’m not connecting the camera

A couple of additional advantages
My Tronsmart Draco is attached above the Nav Unit via velco. At any time I can simply unplug the HDMI and power plug, bring it in the house and connect to my TV via the original plug and HDMI to make any modifications. This is valuable if you want to make quick switches to the gauge screen to track fuel trims temporarily, etc…

GOOGLE MAPS - You can add a second box to AV2 with “Auto Start” and Google Maps. Using the handy mini wireless keyboard and mouse in the glove box, type in your destination. If you do this, you can use the audio connections into your ACM.
As these boxes start on switched power, Google maps is ready as soon as the box boots.

As I don't own the HKS Camp2, I can't speak to any disadvantages. You guys weigh in.

Pictures to follow
Attached are my wiring diagram and actual costs. The docx includes hyperlinks. download it then open with word and it should work.

Attached Thumbnails Replacement of HKS Camp2-scan.png  
Attached Files
File Type: docx

Last edited by Sean W; 01-28-2017 at 04:09 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Sean W:
jahummer (01-28-2017), kj07xk (01-29-2017), LockNumber25 (02-14-2017), Stuart S (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Veteran Member

Here are a couple of pics. They're a tad fuzzy. That's me shivering, not the image. For now, the media box is sitting on top of the Nav box. I like the convenience but I may move it.

So far, the only thing it doesn't seem to like is to have the key in the on position for awhile, then start the car. I don't know if that's a function of GVIF or the media box but the green light never comes on on the GVIF box. Starting the car from the off position all is fine.

Tomorrow, I'll put the seats back in and clean up the boot area. Then I think I'll determine whether or not to install the camera.

I'll also take some pics of it on a monitor with some options for you torque users and what the media box screens look like without Torque running. Torque has hundreds of options for what you want to display.

I hope you like this solution. If I encounter glitches along the way I'll report them but I won't be taking her out until spring.

Cambo, I've run an RCA to the back of the touch screen in the hopes that you can solution the reverse camera using Fakra so it's ready if you need me.

Attached Thumbnails Replacement of HKS Camp2-img_20170128_153408329.jpg   Replacement of HKS Camp2-img_20170128_152348896.jpg  

Last edited by Sean W; 01-28-2017 at 04:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sean W:
kj07xk (01-29-2017), Stuart S (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Sean,

Really impressive and, unfortunately, way over my head. Nevertheless, because I was able to install WhiteXKR's remote top kit with the optional rear window control by myself, I am hopeful that you, Sean, or maybe Steve (WhiteXKR) and/or Cambo and flyc2c, et.al., can put a similar DIY kit together for Forum members like me. I'm not an engineer or a mechanic, but I know which end of the screwdriver goes into the screw and can read English and follow instructions.

I think a complete kit would be a best seller. Your thoughts?

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 01-28-2017 at 04:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sherbercars (08-21-2018)
Old 01-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member

a few more pics of the Tronsmart and some torque options. Five minutes to unplug, bring in the house and connect to a monitor to make changes.

You can make these same changes with a wireless mouse but the screen is too small for my old eyes.

The first pic is a screen shot of the android box. As you can see it looks and act's like a tablet.

The second and third pics are the ports on the box.

The last 3 pics are shots of torque pro and as many of you have it on your phones already, you know what it can do. For me, like most I wanted to watch my coolant temp and my voltage. I'd also like to keep an eye on oil pressure but torque only has that available for GM at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails Replacement of HKS Camp2-img_20170128_162556339.jpg   Replacement of HKS Camp2-img_20170128_161600916.jpg   Replacement of HKS Camp2-img_20170128_161616244.jpg   Replacement of HKS Camp2-img_20170128_161832437.jpg   Replacement of HKS Camp2-img_20170128_161945301.jpg  

Replacement of HKS Camp2-img_20170128_162802456.jpg  

Last edited by Sean W; 01-28-2017 at 04:45 PM.
kj07xk (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

For those of you unfamiliar with Torque, this is a good high level review. This gentleman has on his tablet and the tablet mounted to his car. Not our goal, but worth viewing.

kj07xk (01-29-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Two big 'thumbs up' to you on working this out. Well done!

Sean W (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

So the goal of this modification is to have the ability of a gauge selection come up on the infotainment screen when you start the car and stay functioning until you change the screen. Also at some point for those who don't have a rear camera to add one. Is there a possibility to add a function like android auto or iphone car play. It just seems like a lot of work and costs to add a few features.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
So the goal of this modification is to have the ability of a gauge selection come up on the infotainment screen when you start the car and stay functioning until you change the screen. Also at some point for those who don't have a rear camera to add one. Is there a possibility to add a function like android auto or iphone car play. It just seems like a lot of work and costs to add a few features.
Hey Jagtoes. This is only an android solution. No iPhone functionality.

Android Auto isn't available on Jaguar yet and when it is, it won't be retroactive.

For me, the set up is as I described and really just replicates the HKS Camp 2 setup. I believe you have Torque Pro app already so you know it's capable of code reading and monitoring multiple functions. My solution also incorporates google maps into your screen, if you choose. The last available Nav map is from 2012.

It can basically do anything you can do on an android tablet. I'm limiting it personally.

I'm fine with the spend. The work was in the planning. Total install time will be around 5 hours thanks to flyc2c's post as I still need to reinstall the back seats. But I get that it's not for everyone.

flyc2c (12-04-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Two big 'thumbs up' to you on working this out. Well done!
Thanks again for your help and explanations to get me going.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Default Added rear view camera

I added the rear view camera today but didn't realize I had to shut off the rear park assist as it blocks the screen.

I may still add the rear view mirror camera.

I'm looking at this one but it has a damn small screen:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AQNH8KU...YHPC4THB&psc=1

Also this one which fills the mirror:
https://www.amazon.com/VTW73M-Mirror...f_rd_i=desktop

Any thoughts?

Old 01-29-2017, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
So far, the only thing it doesn't seem to like is to have the key in the on position for awhile, then start the car. I don't know if that's a function of GVIF or the media box but the green light never comes on on the GVIF box. Starting the car from the off position all is fine.
I'm not following what the sequence is here.
Are you touching the 'start' button to put the car into 'convenience mode', and leave it there awhile?
If I go to start the car from convenience mode, the car powers off as soon as I touch the start button, and then I have to start from scratch.

Still impressed with what you've got there. Not going to rip out my HKS Camp2, but adding a media box and supporting hardware to connect to a free AV port on my existing GVIF certainly opens up all kinds of possibilities.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
I added the rear view camera today but didn't realize I had to shut off the rear park assist as it blocks the screen.

I may still add the rear view mirror camera.

I'm looking at this one but it has a damn small screen:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AQNH8KU...YHPC4THB&psc=1

Also this one which fills the mirror:
https://www.amazon.com/VTW73M-Mirror...f_rd_i=desktop

Any thoughts?
I thought there was an issue with replacing the OEM mirror, as you would lose some functionality in the side mirrors?

Old 01-29-2017, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not following what the sequence is here.
Are you touching the 'start' button to put the car into 'convenience mode', and leave it there awhile?
If I go to start the car from convenience mode, the car powers off as soon as I touch the start button, and then I have to start from scratch.
yes if I'm in convenience mode for awhile, then push the start button, it fails to start the media box - like the brief power surge confuses it. I may add a power switch to eliminate this as an issue.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

I thought there was an issue with replacing the OEM mirror, as you would lose some functionality in the side mirrors?
Well not entirely sure but I think you lose the auto dimming on the outside mirrors. I think the 07 was the only year they had them on the x150, but not sure.

The replacement mirror itself has auto dimming so it may be possible to ping that sensor current and push it to the side mirrors. I'd have to contact the manufacturers to see if it's easily accessed or I could just live without the auto dimming on the outer mirrors.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

Dup

Old 01-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I'd go with the Boyo

Sean W (01-30-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 04:43 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Sean W - what a fantasic mod, feels like it opens up the possibility of running Android Auto in the XK? Android Auto can be run as an app now so should be no trouble running it stand alone on a media box. I guess input might be awkward though with no touch screen when viewing the GVIF source. Maybe a small bluetooth touchpad mounted in the cabin? For audio you could use a tune2air bluetooth adapter attached to the ipod connector, does the media box have bluetooth audio and GPS?

Regards,
Andrew.

Old 02-13-2017, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LockNumber25
Sean W - what a fantasic mod, feels like it opens up the possibility of running Android Auto in the XK? Android Auto can be run as an app now so should be no trouble running it stand alone on a media box. I guess input might be awkward though with no touch screen when viewing the GVIF source. Maybe a small bluetooth touchpad mounted in the cabin? For audio you could use a tune2air bluetooth adapter attached to the ipod connector, does the media box have bluetooth audio and GPS?

Regards,
Andrew.
Thanks Andrew. Right, no touchscreen functionality for Android Auto. I use a wireless mouse and keyboard but really it's just when I bring the box into the house. It's attached via velcro for easy access.
As I have ACM installed, I could run sound out to the RCA inputs but not interested in doing that. I would run the sound if I added a second box for google maps to auto launch in which case, I could keep the mini keyboard and mouse in the glove box to input addresses. There are a couple of units I've seen that have voice controlled remotes but I've no idea of the quality.

I don't know if my particular model has bluetooth sound, or if any of them do. Most that I've seen have just the HDMI output. No GPS. I think to add those features you 'd want to go down the route of using Raspberry Pi which would also work fine if you enclosed it. That way you can build it out to your own specs fairly easily. I have to assume your cell service would accept the unit as a device or use mirror cast to put on the phone and display on the box.

Old 02-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Really interesting, thanks again for the great information. I had the same RPI thought and have a spare so might see what I can get running on the kitchen table. If I get anywhere with it I'll be sure to provide an update.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Guys, take a look at the HUD thread. That may be the answer and then some.

Quick Reply: Replacement of HKS Camp2