XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

PPI Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PPI Dilema

Hi - first time poster and long time lurker, lol.

I have been bit by the XK-R bug. I found an XK-R one owner car, seems to have all maintenance records. Battery was replaced at 12K miles, the air conditioner compressor did go out at around 45K miles. Owner had the compressor replaced and also just had the full 45K service done. I test drove the car and was able to open it up on the freeway - it moves and is really smooth. No pulling left or right - so alignment seems good. Paint is ok - there is a scrap on the back bumper and some dings here and there - so, paint isn't perfect. Owner has disclosed that the car has not been in any accidents. Car has 45K miles on it and has been garaged. Interior is very clean and I didn't see any of the known issues with pealing dashes or rear convertible window separating. Price is fair. The owner has some high end cars including a new Ferrari and seems pretty well to do. The car has mainly been driven by his wife. He is getting rid of the car to buy a bigger car so that he and his wife can tote around the grandkids. I have a deposit in with him which he said he would refund if I didn't want the car.

So, now my dilemma - my wife loves the car. She wants it like right now as her birthday is this week and she wants to take it down to San Diego to see our son. The owner didn't flinch about getting a PPI done and has given me the name of the Jaguar dealership on where it was last serviced. So I either pick it up on Tuesday without a PPI or I wait and have the PPI done when I can have it scheduled. What do you guys think - to PPI or no PPI, that is the question, lol.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Getting a PPI is more about one's own well-being than an insurance clause. If you are scared of getting screwed, then a PPI may be enough to ease your mind. It IS a 'cheap' way to get the car checked out, and another way to go about the purchase would be to have the SELLER agree to pay for the PPI if you DON'T buy it BECAUSE the PPI showed something serious. Or, you could agree to split it.

OR, you can buy WITHOUT a PPI to keep wifey happy, then get it inspected anyway so you have more information for yourself. It would be good info whenever you get it. By your enthusiasm, it seems to be in good nick.

It is all a gamble of sorts, do you pay a modest sum on the chance that something would be found where you would not buy.
All comes down to a gut feeling, I'd say. Course, you COULD get a "perfect" on the PPI and have something major go kaplooey two days later anyway.

Me, I bought without an inspection. It worked out great.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:16 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought my '12 XKR down in Atlanta from a dealer (about 800 miles from home up north), and made sure to get the PPI before I would commit to buying, and it worked out well for me as the car needed some fixes:
- new brakes and rotors ($1k)
- boots were torn on the control arms (I think that was around $600)
- wheel alignment
- Check engine code showed up during the PPI (emissions issue around $800)
- needed interior lights replaced
- issue with the glove box

Nothing terrible, but things that needed to get done, and the selling dealership picked up the repair cost of the above items. I could have lived with those issues and had them serviced by my indie up here, but it was even better that someone else picked up the tab, and I had the piece of mind that things were in order.

The following 2 users liked this post by envincibal:
MarkyUK (01-21-2019), ralphwg (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Rule #1: A happy wife is a happy life. I'd pick it up Tuesday.

You appear to be a knowledgeable "car guy" since you researched this Forum and are aware of the common trouble spots. You have all the service records and the car just had the 45K mile service done. Typically, that includes a multipoint inspection that would list needed repairs on that invoice. Since you thoroughly road tested it and examined it closely for cosmetic flaws and it met or exceeded your expectations, what's to worry about?

Every used car presents a risk of repairs, and this one appears to be well cared for. I'd buy it in a heartbeat at the right price and make my wife's day! Just be sure to get it in writing that she allows you to drive it!

The following 4 users liked this post by Stuart S:
pk4144 (01-23-2019), Queen and Country (01-21-2019), ralphwg (01-21-2019), winstonsalemncxk (01-23-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

I agree with all comments. I bought my 07 and 12 without PPI and was rewarded with great experiences. That being said, I've been wrenching my own cars for many years and am quite comfortable with my knowledge and possible risks. If you're in the same frame of mind, just do it, othewise a PPI will settle any fears.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Im in the “happy life, happy wife” camp. If Im happy, shes a very happy woman. She doesn't dictate the tone or mood in my life. So do it for you, and do what you want. Keep your wife out of this transaction, she wont be there when the service bills arrive or when you have tackle an issue, unless she is paying for it. But don’t be fooled by the smoke and mirrors. I’ve bought many cars without a PPI and all I did was offer to fill the tank and for hour test drive, with a stop for coffee or lunch. I have happily filled the tanks on a few good looking cars that started to smoke in stop and go traffic. If nothing bad happened, it was a good sign. Overheating or CELs are guaranteed to pop within that time. That car looks good, drives good, and has been maintained by a well to do man. So if your gut tells you to walk away then do so. Otherwise, fill the tank and go have a blast.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewtech
Im in the “happy life, happy wife” camp. If Im happy, shes a very happy woman. She doesn't dictate the tone or mood in my life. So do it for you, and do what you want. Keep your wife out of this transaction, she wont be there when the service bills arrive or when you have tackle an issue, unless she is paying for it. But don’t be fooled by the smoke and mirrors. I’ve bought many cars without a PPI and all I did was offer to fill the tank and for hour test drive, with a stop for coffee or lunch. I have happily filled the tanks on a few good looking cars that started to smoke in stop and go traffic. If nothing bad happened, it was a good sign. Overheating or CELs are guaranteed to pop within that time. That car looks good, drives good, and has been maintained by a well to do man. So if your gut tells you to walk away then do so. Otherwise, fill the tank and go have a blast.
And go to the gym because your testosterone ..........

Old 01-21-2019, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Just buy it. There is nothing a bloody PPI will tell you that's important and you have missed.
Besides its not like a well-to-do person is going to fix all those things before selling you the car, because if he is financially smart he would just trade the car to avoid the hassle.

You have done the most important PPI- it was not owned by some young executive in New Jersey who has since been fired.
Just check if the oil was changed at the dealership. Thats the only ppi you need.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Get paintless dent removal service to go through the car and it will be straight as an hour.

Old 01-21-2019, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

+1 just buy it.

It's realistically impossible with any car to be certain and these are fundamentally sound cars so chances are excellent, especially with its recent history.

If you want absolute certainty, do mathematics.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Rule #1: A happy wife is a happy life. I'd pick it up Tuesday.
Until of course she damages it like the previous owners ball and chain did!?

Personally I'd get the check down and tell SWMBO that her first drive of it will be on her next birthday!

Hmmm wonder why I'm single???

Old 01-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Since it just had the 45k service and inspection. Read the inspection report before buying it tomorrow; anything untoward should show up on the inspection report. I would pay particular attention the section dealing with brakes and alignment. Then buy the car and keep a happy wife.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Since it just had the 45k service and inspection. Read the inspection report before buying it tomorrow; anything untoward should show up on the inspection report. I would pay particular attention the section dealing with brakes and alignment. Then buy the car and keep a happy wife.
+1 I agree. My dealer gives me a 10 or 20 point check list after I have my annual oil change. This covers all of the main points and provides me with overall status of the car.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

You don't mention the model year of the car or if it is still under Jaguar warranty. But if you can't wait for a dealer PPI and it's something you feel you want, find a local indie, have him get it up on the lift and check for any leaks, wet spots on the underside of the engine or transmission, etc. It's best to have an independent mechanic you can rely upon anyway,,because you'll not want to take it to the dealer once it's out of warranty. And check the oil level and since the car will have to have been off for about 20-30 minutes, be patient.
Good luck, you won't regret your XKR fever.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
And go to the gym because your testosterone ..........
That will help greatly in the constant game of maintenance. The OP should buy that gorgeous car and have her drive the old car to see their offsping. Id be damned if I bought an X150 and handed it over to her for a wild weekend away. I kid! I kid! But I am serious about you buying the car and keeping it for the weekend, for testing purposes. Then pick me up and lets go out!

Old 01-23-2019, 04:07 PM

Well thank you for your input. I bought the car yesterday. I had a 2 hour plus drive home. Car ran just fine. I will add a post to the newbie section to properly introduce myself, lol. But again - appreciate your input.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:33 PM
Default Intro

Well actually - I don't really have much to interest in other Jaguars except the XK; so, I guess I will introduce myself here.

Hi - my name is Eric from Southern California. I am now the second new proud owner of the white XKR pictured. It will be my new daily driver. The interior is just about perfect. Paint has some nicks and scratches that aren't unusual for a six year old car. It is running great so far for my first day, lol. Car had 45K miles on it. It Flies. Where are wings?

Petty annoyances - no gauges like WTF, lol. This is a sports car. Not to fear - I have read some threads on the ELM module and using an old phone/app to get some diagnostics and deliver some data - I might try that - we'll see. No shutoff to auto dimming rearview mirror (I might cover the sensor with a dot). For some reason, I thought the trunk was going to be a little deeper than it actually is - guess I have the back seat for that, lol.

I am not new to the car world - my other toy is a car that has been in the family since new - 1971 Cutlass Supreme convertible which I have driven far longer than my dad ever did. The car has been a long term project and is almost completely restored including a new engine, suspension, rear gearing, interior, paint etc. I did some of the work myself - mainly the interior and my engine builder helped me with the mechanics.

Let me know if any of you are in the area. I go to Cars and Coffee in San Clemente every once in awhile. So, if any of you are interested in going - it is every Saturday roll in at 8:30am and goes to 11am - though many clear out earlier. It is completely free/informal and you will see 300-400 cars there on most weekends that will rival pretty much any car show. Now I am going to have to choose between the XKR and the Olds on which to take down lol.

Thanks again for your help about the PPI. Cheers.

The following 2 users liked this post by elfreedman:
Cee Jay (01-23-2019), envincibal (01-24-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 04:36 PM
Default Pictures Added

Sorry - thought I added Pics - but didn't see that they came through.

The following 2 users liked this post by elfreedman:
mosesbotbol (01-24-2019), winstonsalemncxk (01-26-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 04:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Nice toys!

Old 01-23-2019, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Nice ride(s) - Welcome aboard.

Quick Reply: PPI Dilema