XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 XE...Is the Current XK a Dinosaur?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
The 2014 XK/R will be significantly more expensive according to the regional rep from jaguar USA. If you google the 2013 XE there are many current renderings and if they are close, the car will be quite nice looking much nicer than the 12 XK. Even if the car comes with the touted v6's as in the link below, 450 hp in a car weighing hundreds of pounds less will be perfect. Don't know what to do.

2013 Jaguar XE - Jaguar Sports Car - Automobile Magazine - Mobile
You'll notice that Automobile Magazine article is dated September, 2009 and features speculative, unofficial artist's conceptual drawings of the future XE.

On the other hand, if you Google: "2013 Jaguar XE spy" the web search will provide several recent car magazine or image links to what appears to be the abbreviated version of the current XK that I referenced above as the 2013 XE.

The Car And Driver article dated June, 2011 has 18 spy photos of the black roadster they speculate is a prototype of the new XE. I still think it may be a red herring. The real one may be more faceted.

This is the car that has appeared in several recent automotive publications as the working model of the 2013 XE. See what I mean?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 AM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for posting, I am more and more intrigued with the XE and the Jag rep really wet my appetite with his comments, I am beginning to think he may have done me a big favor.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The pictures are just a 'mule'.

RJC, you seem to be worried you ordered the wrong car.
If you wanted a small roadster, then maybe you did. If you want a GT, then you got the best.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

The newest Jag appears to be the C-X16, which be announced on September 13th and the Frankfurt Motor Show.

The sketches are similar to a smallish XK...perhaps this is what has been discussed.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by GrahamS
The pictures are just a 'mule'.

RJC, you seem to be worried you ordered the wrong car.
If you wanted a small roadster, then maybe you did. If you want a GT, then you got the best.
I've always though the XKs were a bit too big for just a two seater, perhaps that's why Jag is making the '14 a true 2+2. I don't want to do anything I'm going to regret as the new XKR I've ordered will be close to $108k especially with such pitiful resale value and/or poor anticipated lease rates for the 12's. I'm hoping there will be more detailed info on the XE within the next two months before my car arrives. With respect to GT vs roaster, I'm coming from a long line of 911's and the XK is a very large car to me and the XER might just be perfect.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:18 PM
RJC

The latest news on the XE Dated 08/11/2011, it appears according to this report the v8's are going to part of the equation??? Either way a 3300 lb car with a V6/8 450Hp+ engine will be quite nice. Can't wait to see the concept next month at Frankfurt.

2013 Jaguar XE

Video of the XK bodied XE, the car sounds like it has the base V6 to me but it's proportions appear to be mid sized which is perfect. I like the camo short wheelbase XK look, a short wheelbase would be a nice version of the XK ala Ferraris of yore.

2013 Jaguar XE Spy Video

Last edited by RJC; 08-19-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

I totally agree with the first response, the SLK/Boxster niche needed to be filled. I don't own an XK as I have been hanging on to my 2006 XKR. That said I was invited to drive a 2012 XKR-S yesterday and all I can say is there is no way that is a Dinosaur. Holly s---! I am totally impressed I never thought a Jaguar could rival a Porsche for track style performance but that car was insane. Tail happy with the traction control engaged is a beautiful thing.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:38 PM
RJC

Not a big fan of the XKRS, too boy racer looking for me. My comments about the XK/R being a dinosaur pertains to the car's rather large heavy antiquated platform and style vs the xe; the XE should drive circles around the XK being much nimbler and if the renderings are close to accurate will look better too..I realize the XK is a gran touring car and not a car for the track, yet another reason the S makes little sense to me.

A bit more news re the XE; interesting this speculated the car will no doubt be shorter than the XK but just as wide, there is also mention of a V8.
http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2011/8/3...xster-7704154/

Last edited by RJC; 08-20-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:50 AM
Dan
Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

The XE is definitely interesting and has a long way will to go to out perform the boxster.

Has jag ever really produced a true sports car for the consumer?

Seems odd that this new xk is suuposed to represent the original XE but seems to lose it with the shortened length. I think the current xk is more like the vintage XE.

I definitely like the looks of the new XE but I question as to whether jag can truly compete on performance or will have to fall back on luxury and style which will cause confusion with the xk.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to seeing more about this XE

Old 08-21-2011, 01:11 PM
RJC

Vintage XE? The E type was the Jag sports car you might be referring to which the XE is supposed to emulate. The E type was originally a small svelte relatively light weight car before it morphed into it's last version before production ceased. Aside from the Boxster being mid engined great handling car it is not much of a performance car due its power to weight ratio; the Boxster S is better. The new XE-R with 450+/- HP and weighing only 3300 lbs should trounce even the Boxster S in performance, looks and luxury from what I've been reading. The brand new MB SLK is quie nice and a big leap forward from the previous generation.

Frankfurt is next month so we'll soon see.

Last edited by RJC; 08-21-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 PM
RJC

Guys I'm not trying to rag on the XK's especially since I have one on order with a hefty deposit, but the XE/R is really peaking my interest. If I can get a decent 2 year lease on the 12 XKR I'll still take it, give the XE a year to get the bugs out, wait for the V8 version then go for it; providing it looks as good in the flesh as in some of the renderings. Can't wait for Frankfurt.

Last edited by RJC; 08-21-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
My comments about the XK/R being a dinosaur pertains to the car's rather large heavy antiquated platform...
Jaguar Lightweight Vehicle Technology monocoque?

Last edited by GreyXK; 08-22-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:22 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by GreyXK
Jaguar Lightweight Vehicle Technology monocoque?

Thanks for posting that, but the vert weighs in at a hair just under 4,000 lbs even with the aluminum platform and a cloth top; it's no light weight by any stretch of the imagination. Most cars produced today use a monocoque design with high strength light weight steel just not aluminum due to cost and the higher cost to repair.

Last edited by RJC; 08-22-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not like the XR is heavy for its class. Pretty much all luxury GTs are heavy. It weighs less than the BMW 650, Mercedes SL550, Maserati Gran Turismo, and about the same as an Aston BD9. Calling the platform "heavy and antiquated" is a bit of a stretch. Having said that, I'm totally looking forward to getting one of the new roadsters to keep company with my XKR coupe. But not until they've been out for a year or two.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,171 Likes on 3,393 Posts
Default XKR a Dinosaur? NO WAY!

Anyone who considers the new XK to be a dinosaur is, simply, uninformed. Jaguar has one of the most advanced manufacturing facilities in Birmingham, England that makes extensive use of state-of-the-art virtual reality and robotics to design and assemble the all-aluminum XK line.

I learned about this from watching the Speed Channel's "Speedmakers" series that included 2 separate 60-minute shows on the new XK. The first covered the new construction methods for the chassis and body and the second covered the 5.0 engine assembly. Check your cable TV guide and see if those shows are being rerun.

The Speed Channel's website has short teaser videos of those episodes. Here's the first:
VIDEO - SPEED - The Motor Sports Authority - Auto Racing, Formula 1, Moto Racing, NASCAR, News, Photos, Videos, Fantasy, Trivia

And the second:
VIDEO - SPEED - The Motor Sports Authority - Auto Racing, Formula 1, Moto Racing, NASCAR, News, Photos, Videos, Fantasy, Trivia

See also from the Speed Channel's website:
AUTOMOTIVE - AUTOS: How Beautiful Jaguars Are Created

The automotive industry is constantly improving their products so, in that sense, every vehicle manufactured today might be considered to be tomorrow's dinosaur.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:31 PM
RJC

Remember at the beginning of this thread I asked everyone to be as objective as possible since almost everyone here owns and XK.

I know Jaguar has a great facility/technoology mostly in part to Ford but the point is compared to the technology in the XE (ie 8 speed trans, new ultra fuel efficient/high output per litre powerplants some producing 450 hp, handling to rival mid engine Porsches etc etc) it might just be a brontosaurus, but still a very nice automobile indeed.

Please tell me what is so cutting edge about the current XK? can't be just the LED headlights I've been waiting for on the 12's lol

I am looking for reinforcement relating to my upcoming purchase just as much as true objectivity.

Thank you

Last edited by RJC; 08-22-2011 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:46 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by Frogdogfan
It's not like the XR is heavy for its class. Pretty much all luxury GTs are heavy. It weighs less than the BMW 650, Mercedes SL550, Maserati Gran Turismo, and about the same as an Aston BD9. Calling the platform "heavy and antiquated" is a bit of a stretch. Having said that, I'm totally looking forward to getting one of the new roadsters to keep company with my XKR coupe. But not until they've been out for a year or two.
The BMW and MB are not aluminum cars so they deserve to be heavy and the SL has a folding hard top to boot, but they are all still porkers and the SL is due for replacemnt within a year and the Maser is not far behind; I'm sure the new SL and Maser will be techno/visual masterpieces. I also think based upon the new XJ the new 14 XK will be light years ahead of the current XK, nothing like the change the XK made for 06

I agree about waiting for the XE to be out for a year or two, but this will be a big deal for TaTa so they'd better get it right the first time!

Old 08-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,171 Likes on 3,393 Posts

Dinosaurs are extinct because they failed to evolve and adapt to changing circumstances. Jaguar is still here and evolving and, therefore, is not a dinosaur.

I agree that lighter weight would be a great benefit, but at what cost in terms of lost features? Every electric motor adds weight, so do you want to give up your power windows, power top, power steering column, etc.? Features, comfort, styling and performance is in the DNA of a luxury GT.

I would rephrase the issue as follows: Is the current XK obsolete? Perhaps, just like the computer you bought yesterday, but my 2009 XKR is still functional, gorgeous, and, most importantly, FUN!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:27 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Dinosaurs are extinct because they failed to evolve and adapt to changing circumstances. Jaguar is still here and evolving and, therefore, is not a dinosaur.

I agree that lighter weight would be a great benefit, but at what cost in terms of lost features? Every electric motor adds weight, so do you want to give up your power windows, power top, power steering column, etc.? Features, comfort, styling and performance is in the DNA of a luxury GT.

I would rephrase the issue as follows: Is the current XK obsolete? Perhaps, just like the computer you bought yesterday, but my 2009 XKR is still functional, gorgeous, and, most importantly, FUN!
Semantics . Some dinosaurs actually died out before others and some are still living in smaller, lighter (hint-hint) better evolved forms today like crocodiles, but obsolete is another good choice of words lol…

Not looking to add more weight at all, on the contrary, it needs to evolve more like the XE; the 4,000 lbs XKRv is quite heavy especially for an aluminum car and with a cloth top. My main points were weight, size and tech. The XK is quite a large car for a 2 seater and perhaps that's why the new 14 XK will be a true 2+2 with four actual/useable seats. The current car although quite beautiful (remember I have one coming in Oct) is getting long in the tooth and falling far behind the curve with the update for 12 being minor cosmetic dodad's with the only tech upgrade being the led light strips...yawn.

I think the new XE will be a well needed home run for Jaguar/TaTa and may lure away some XK shoppers that want a lighter, updated and nimbler car...not to mention from what the renderings look like is quite beautiful perhaps even eclipsing the XK's...we'll soon see next month.

I am excited to get my 12 XKRv but less so...

Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Short answer is no way. The XE is what the slk is to the sl or the boxster to the 911

I think the XE looks fantastic though and would be a great option in the jag lineup but is not nearly as sexy as the xkr IMHO.

Going downstream in pricing is always a good idea to increase sales.
+2

Quick Reply: 2013 XE...Is the Current XK a Dinosaur?