XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2013 XK v. 2013 BMW 650i

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 XK v. 2013 BMW 650i

I am considering a 2013 XK convertible v 2013 BMW 650i convertible. I am currently leasing a 2010 BMW convertible. Both cars are great and am having a difficult time deciding. Any comments or considerations would be most appreciated.

Old 06-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by chacha
I am considering a 2013 XK convertible v 2013 BMW 650i convertible. I am currently leasing a 2010 BMW convertible. Both cars are great and am having a difficult time deciding. Any comments or considerations would be most appreciated.
Personally, not to break your spirit, but bmw drivers are the worst, they tailgate and have no respect often on the road. i do not like the design, and even the spirit of bmw drivers, so commun mind...nothing to see with jaguars cars. they are the only cars on the road which make me accelerate all the time, i can't stand behind one. all of this maybe cause my brother drives one.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 06-15-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:17 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

BMW cars/drivers try hard to get attention and make it obvious. Jaguar cars/drivers are more reserved and subtle; people just look and say that's a Jaguar!. I would never trade my Jaguar for a BMW. My Jaguar makes be feel special and I treat it special. On the other hand if I had a BMW I'd feel pretentious, fake, and hollow.

Last edited by DGL; 06-14-2013 at 02:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (06-14-2013)
Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I think BMW makes better cars. But Jaguars are much more unique and have a special character that no BMW has.

As for BMW drivers, I'm sure they only appear worse because most Jaguar drivers are in their 60s and 70s!

Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm not a lot of help for your quest, and you know our opinions will be biased...

I looked at this as well, but in my case compairing the 07 models... The second gen 650 was poorly laid out, and a generally ugly chassis. XK won in almost all respect... If the third gen BMW has not changed much, I couldnt stand it...

My thoughts between the two on a more broad scale:
Todays Jag continues to lag the market in onboard electronics, so if whistles and bells are your thing,BMW takes higher scores there.
"Presence" goes to Jag.
Mod-ability goes to BMW (little to no aftermaket support for Jag)
Everyday practicality goes to BMW
Build Quality and materials goes to Jag

Personally, I think the BMW makes a great car, but my Jag has provided me far more smiles per mile than I think a BMW would get me.

Hope others with more indepth familuarity between current models can be of greater help!

2cents

Last edited by CleverName; 06-14-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:55 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Hmmm

The BMW driver "personalities" are definitely true here in Europe (basically it seems like they suffer from an inferiority complex) and maybe the same goes for Canada but I don't get that impression so much in the States.

Yes Americans are the biggest consumers on the planet but due to all the buying we Americans do we have become very conscience of getting value for our money.

I've owned 4 BMWs and they are by far the most balanced cars on the road. Perfectly engineered, true machines (as the slogan states the ultimate driving machine) to a flaw. BMW has successfully engineered all the spirit out of their cars.

If you want to be able to drive with your eyes closed and with a feeling of unrivaled security buy the Beema.

If you want adrenaline raising exhilaration with a constant thrill on even the most mundane commutes, get the JAG

Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I had a newish 735i in the '80's and I felt the BMW dealer raped me every time he saw me. I understand that hasn't changed much, so my life time ban of BMW has not changed. I don't know if the 650i has changed recently, but the folding roof shape of the one from a couple of years ago didn't look appealing. Tough to beat the shape of the XK if you're attracted to a curvacous body, and the car is definitely dead reliable.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:51 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I would pick the Xk and I have nothing against BMW, since I have owned them before including a m3 and x5. The jag is much better looking and more exclusive. I think everything else is a push including quality, reliability, performance, etc, except the bmw's electronics and maintaince program (includes brakes) are better. All things considered, I would pick the jag.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:29 AM
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I drive both. BMWs, or at least earlier models like mine, are brilliantly balanced driving machines. Over the years, sadly, they have in my opinion become too heavy. All the power in the world does not fully compensate for too much weight. Porsches have bloated too, but the factory started coming back around on that issue a few years back.

My XKR is the first Jag I have driven that has the driving dynamics I like. The steering feel is still too light for me, at least at lower speeds, and the car is pretty damn heavy. But the aluminum chassis is nice and stiff, the ride firm, road feel excellent even with the light steering, tranny impressive and power ample. And it is a beautiful car.

I would much rather own and 80s or 90s BMW than a 80s or 90s Jag. But Jag is now solidly in the mix.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

When I bought my '13 XKR, the 650i was on my short list. I test drove them back-to-back and found the BMW to be downright sluggish compared to the XKR. I would agree with most of the posts here--the only thing that the BMW has over the Jag is the electronics. The Jag is really behind in this department, but then I didn't buy the car as an entertainment system--style, performance, and exclusivity are more important to me and the Jag runs away from the BMW in these catagories IMHO.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

If you ask the question on the BMW forums, they would tell you to buy a BMW.

The best way to make it decision is through a test drive. Have you driven either one of the cars? What's important to you?

I would personally go for the XK as it's supports one of the most cosseting and luxuries interiors in it's segment. I have a lot of repect for BMW, but the interiors in them always drove me away; very cheap compared to a Jaguar.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I looked at both for my model year and could not warm up to the 6 series at all. I guess I am just not a BMW driver... Oh well.

Have you driven both cars?

momo (06-17-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

I never have liked the look of the newer 6 series. Seems like they look "bloated" with the body design...It's just too darn big in my opinion. I also think the rear of the car is horrid.

Easy decision here. Get the XK and have something different and classy.

Last edited by Matt in Houston; 06-17-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

It seems pretty obvious from the replies so far that we are the wrong ones to ask about BMW. People that buy Jags are drawn to them in large part because of its rather unique styling and its exclusivity. The BMW is about as far from that as you can get. BMW owners probably love their choices as much as we do, but other things appeal to them...although I can't imagine what

Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
When I bought my '13 XKR, the 650i was on my short list. I test drove them back-to-back and found the BMW to be downright sluggish compared to the XKR. I would agree with most of the posts here--the only thing that the BMW has over the Jag is the electronics. The Jag is really behind in this department, but then I didn't buy the car as an entertainment system--style, performance, and exclusivity are more important to me and the Jag runs away from the BMW in these catagories IMHO.
I was going to say the exact same thing...but it was easier to just copy your post. :-)

I would also add that the 650i was just too damn big and bulky for what I wanted.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default More previous owners

I think you're getting a more honest opinion here vs a Beema forum as several here have owned Beemas...

Good luck finding as many BMW owners that have owned a Jaguar.

Its all part of the maturity process

Old 06-17-2013, 04:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. Test drove an XK over the weekend and was very impressed. The interior is top notch. The vehicle also had polished wheels that were a really nice touch. The only reservation I had was that the vehicle had a beige top with ultimate black. At first I did not particularly like it. However, by the end of the test drive , I had really warmed up to it. I am now trying to decide between that vehicle and a more traditional black/black.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I have had a black/black it was an 08 I am now driving a 12 with midnight black/tan top. I like the appearance of the black/tan better. One negative the top of the dash in the 12 is also tan and therefore throws lots of reflections up on the windshield. I have learned to live with it, but it is a negative.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM
Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm a BMW and a 2007XK owner. Unfortunately my BMW is a mere 328i but I enjoy it immensely. Sorry to those forum members who feel that BMW owners fit a certain stereotype image and wouldnt touch a BMW. Maybe I dont fit the XK stereotype but I do think I appreciate what both are. The Jag is a classy, superb grand tourer with exceptional looks. The 328i is a superb sports sedan. Both do what they're designed to do very well but maybe I can capture the difference in ownership experience as follows. I have never recieved as many compliments about a car than the XK. I get them daily whether I'm on the move, getting gas or just picking up lunch. I once had a Mercedes SLK owner pull alongisde me and he started applauding- no kidding. As for the BMW - zip, zilch, nada nothing! Now the 6 series may get some compliments but I doubt as many as the XK. In any event in a world of such abject poverty and wrong doing those on this forum and for that matter anyone driving a BMW 6 series are very lucky people. My 2c.
Steve

jagxk2008 (06-22-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

One thing that the 6-series has going for it is that is available with a manual transmission. Or at least it was--I don't know if it still is. That's a HUGE plus for me, as much as I like the XK's transmission.

Quick Reply: 2013 XK v. 2013 BMW 650i