Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Cheaper to run a stolen one though...

Old 06-23-2017, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by buddhaboy
18mpg? Oh dear, I average 13....
Since last oil change, I'm at 22.6MPG. It dropped three MPG when I had the transmission fluid changed @62K Miles. I was getting over 25MPG prior. Perhaps new fluid is a bit more sticky, or there was a fluid level difference? I don't know.

I bought my XK intending for it to be dealer serviced, but the dealer is moving. I find what Jaguar charged for things on the XK to be significantly less expensive than Porsche ownership.

It does seem that the 60-80K mile era tends to have things in need of replacement that those who have not driven them this far would not need. It might also depend on roads, repairs could include replacing wheels from pot holes, shocks, etc.

I am gradually feeling through the steering that it is time for my front shocks to be replaced(or perhaps their mounts?) Parts alone for all four shocks, bearings, and replace able bushings is north of $2K, so it is also possible that they drove the car hard enough to be in need of replacing these.

Still, even when I resort the suspension, it will still be much cheaper than a Porsche, and have experienced significantly less downtime.

My XK is a well built commuter appliance, its gonna keep seeing the mileage climb until I no longer need to drive reguarlly, at that point selling the XK for an Aston Martin Vantage or Porsche 911 might enter the equation. At that point the XK might not be worth selling, so I keep it anyway.

Old 06-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
It dropped three MPG when I had the transmission fluid changed @62K Miles. I was getting over 25MPG prior. Perhaps new fluid is a bit more sticky, or there was a fluid level difference? I don't know.
Big warning sign.
I think too little or too much fluid. Or something else.
Ask others here.

New fluid flows better and not more sticky. There is a transmission fluid friction modifier (lubegard) that works so well at reducing 'stickiness' that I use it during oil change/flush. It really makes the oil flow out.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

It is part of the argument for DIY, I know exactly what the before/after state of things are. Since 22.6MPG is still better than the EPA ratings, I didn't find it particularly concerning. I also had dislocated my knee, and had stopped a long interstate run out into the country for hiking, so it is not entirely empirical. The length of a drive pushes the average up, as fuel consumption when cold is quite high.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Torque Converters and Fuel Economy

P.s. what is your method of checking the fluid level. I am going to change mine soon for the first time.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

I bought my XK in part for the convenience of letting a dealer take care of everything. Aside from changing a tail light, the dealer has done everything.

After reading your link, the <10% difference would not be accounted by any of the major failures. I never really noticed any significant difference in how the car felt before/after, aside from when switching from D to S for rail road tracks, then back to D after using the engine braking ahead of crossing, the switch back to D would clunk before, but not after. Another use mentioned the same before/after.

I believe your 5.0L has an updated gear box design from my 4.2L, I am not sure if it would be apples to apples on checking fluid level.

Old 07-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
Since last oil change, I'm at 22.6MPG. It dropped three MPG when I had the transmission fluid changed @62K Miles. I was getting over 25MPG prior. Perhaps new fluid is a bit more sticky, or there was a fluid level difference? I don't know.

I bought my XK intending for it to be dealer serviced, but the dealer is moving. I find what Jaguar charged for things on the XK to be significantly less expensive than Porsche ownership.

It does seem that the 60-80K mile era tends to have things in need of replacement that those who have not driven them this far would not need. It might also depend on roads, repairs could include replacing wheels from pot holes, shocks, etc.

I am gradually feeling through the steering that it is time for my front shocks to be replaced(or perhaps their mounts?) Parts alone for all four shocks, bearings, and replace able bushings is north of $2K, so it is also possible that they drove the car hard enough to be in need of replacing these.

Still, even when I resort the suspension, it will still be much cheaper than a Porsche, and have experienced significantly less downtime.

My XK is a well built commuter appliance, its gonna keep seeing the mileage climb until I no longer need to drive reguarlly, at that point selling the XK for an Aston Martin Vantage or Porsche 911 might enter the equation. At that point the XK might not be worth selling, so I keep it anyway.

Well I just completed a quick run up the coast to Jacksonville from Fort Lauderdale on brand new tires (picked car up at dealership and hit the road), and cruised between 80 and 90 for the up and back trip while averaging a whopping 23.8 mpg! God save the Queen, it's a damn economy car!