XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

2013 XKR - Floor Mat Hook Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts
Default 2013 XKR - Floor Mat Hook Problem

So its actually a XKR-S...but this part of the car shouuld be the same as a XKR or even a XK. It came with floor mats and when i was taking the driver side mat out to put a all weather mat in i noticed one of the hooks would not come out well - thats because it lifted off and out of its groove like butter!!!! Its still attached (not sure where) but very loose and not solid like the other one. There is nothing to snap back into place so its staying loose. Anyone ever have a loose floor mat hook on their recent XKR? Think the dealer can do something about this without taking the whole carpet out? Going to contact the dealer - who should LAUGH that I am taking the car in for this but if you just paid 6 figures for a car PLUS...you dont want anything not being pristine out of the gate!! What do you guys think? anyone else have this problem? Easy to fix???

Loth

Last edited by Lothar52; 10-16-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Mine's been solid. I take out the mats on a regular basis to clean them. They're tan after all... they need extra cleaning. And definitely have the dealer deal with it.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Firstly, I agree - you pay 6 figures for a car, the car should be without defect nomatter how mall.

In my 2010, in front of drivers seat, the hook nearest the center console came out the first time I took the mat out. Apparently they are sewn in (?) and it was no big deal so I never did anything about it. My mat still hooks onto the other hook and has never moved around so, again, no big deal to me...

But by all means take it in! Let us know how they fix this...may have to get the needle and thread out!

Originally Posted by Lothar52
So its actually a XKR-S...but this part of the car shouuld be the same as a XKR or even a XK. It came with floor mats and when i was taking the driver side mat out to put a all weather mat in i noticed one of the hooks would not come out well - thats because it lifted off and out of its groove like butter!!!! Its still attached (not sure where) but very loose and not solid like the other one. There is nothing to snap back into place so its staying loose. Anyone ever have a loose floor mat on their recent XKR? Think the dealer can do something about this without taking the whole carpet out? Going to contact the dealer - who should LAUGH that I am taking the car in for this but if you just paid 6 figures for a car PLUS...you dont want anything not being pristine out of the gate!! What do you guys think? anyone else have this problem? Easy to fix???

Loth

Old 10-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
Firstly, I agree - you pay 6 figures for a car, the car should be without defect nomatter how mall.

In my 2010, in front of drivers seat, the hook nearest the center console came out the first time I took the mat out. Apparently they are sewn in (?) and it was no big deal so I never did anything about it. My mat still hooks onto the other hook and has never moved around so, again, no big deal to me...

But by all means take it in! Let us know how they fix this...may have to get the needle and thread out!

WOW...that is exactly what mine did!!!! Same one too!! I bet its a manufacter defect and quite a few have them!! The one closest to the door is rock solid without problems - YES. Very first time I took the mat out it came up!. It actually makes me feel better knowing that I am not the only one!

Loth

Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Diddo

Mine was actually missing the same clip so after examining the existing clip I found a replacement... a GM floor clip:
Corvette C4 Floor Mat Retaining Clip : Amazon.com : Automotive Corvette C4 Floor Mat Retaining Clip : Amazon.com : Automotive

It slids in then the bottom piece clips into the top, problem is I have never been able to clip them together since I cant get to the bottom half to press it in as its under the floor.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Great. So on our XKR's, do they need to lift the carpet up to replace the floor mat hook? THAT IS NOT HAPPENING as I am SURE something bad would happen!!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

The left one on the driver's side was missing when I took delivery and the dealer has one on order for me (it costs $35 by the way if not under warranty!). I was going to just put it in myself, but now I wonder if I will need to take the car in to the dealer.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
The left one on the driver's side was missing when I took delivery and the dealer has one on order for me (it costs $35 by the way if not under warranty!). I was going to just put it in myself, but now I wonder if I will need to take the car in to the dealer.
GOOD LORD...what is wrong with their procedure for installing floor mat hooks in the factory?

Old 10-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Probably installed by an Apprentice; they are learning the ropes, not hooks!
I know this because I was one in 1951; I still remember how not to do things right the first time.
Our motto was ' I may be slow but at least I'm not accurate' !!

TTFN, Adrian

Old 10-21-2012, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by britannia
Probably installed by an Apprentice; they are learning the ropes, not hooks!
I know this because I was one in 1951; I still remember how not to do things right the first time.
Our motto was ' I may be slow but at least I'm not accurate' !!

TTFN, Adrian
Dear LORD...I hope an apprentice was NOT installing anything on my 6 figure car!!! COME ON!!! Will this be easy to fix Adrian??? The floor mat hook problem that is...

Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 AM

Apprentices have to learn! They are allowed more time!
I looked at my '07 XK Coupe floor mat hooks and they are plastic and are attached to the carpet not the floor. My guess is they are in two parts; the hook above the carpet and a base under the carpet. Being plastic they must clip together, not sewn.............typical of most plastic parts they go together easily but are difficult to take apart unless they fail (break). Depending on the failure I would expect the carpet needs to be removed unless the hook base can be glued with epoxy.
Glue sounds like the easiest solution but $35! ooch.......try the GM or whatever ones!
Today most brands have hooks (even Toyota's now)

Good Luck, Adrian

Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Given that Jaguar tend to carry over the design principles of fittings from one model to the next, do the mat hooks on the XK look like the earlier XK8?

If so, these ones stick to both the floor carpet and the floor panel beneath. When the plastic link between the two parts shears, it allows the main carpet to lift slightly as the mat is removed.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails 2013 XKR - Floor Mat Hook Problem-carpet-retainer.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
britannia (10-22-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 10:15 AM

Adhesive or double back tape to attach the hook portion still appears to be the easiest solution IMHO..................

Cheers, Adrian