XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

AC Water Leak Into 2007 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 AM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AC Water Leak Into 2007 XKR

OK so it is starting to get warm and Humid in Houston but yesterday I noticed a drip of water coming from under the passenger side glove box area - (External Temp 93F and AC cranked to 68F) - I presume this is condensation from the AC somehow - Is this likely to be something that needs to be fixed or do I just need to stop cranking the AC down so low - typical around 67F 0r 68F? I did not have this issue last year and temps were over 100 so I am thinking there is going to be some kind of blockage or disconnected conduit under the dash - but thought I would ask before spending money!!

Old 05-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

So, your problem is that the drain tube end, which exits the cabin just above the tranny has closed up.

The link below will give you a lot of info. When I had an 07 XKR, I had this problem and was able to get a $250 gift certificate from Jag because of it. I called Jaguar USA and told them about the problem I was having. They know this problem is affecting *many* cars with this drain tube design.

Here is a thread that speaks to it. Go to the second page and you will see detail on what is causing it and info on how to have it fixed:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ot-well-55703/

The following users liked this post:
Kevin - Houston (05-03-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AC Condensation 2007 XK

I had the same problem about a month ago. AC condensation in passenger side foot well. Bulletin JTB-00121 describes the problem as a clogged condensation drain. The proposed solution was to remove the IP and replace the drain tube with a new redesign. I have scene threads that suggest other/later solution from Jaguar.

I have 32000 miles and out of warranty........... a $1000 repair for a $8.00 part.

Have scene other recommendation.
1. lower transmission and cut end off drain tube. Drain tube is above the transmission on 2007 XK and later models.
2. Someone suggested close all AC vents -- i.e. blow out the blockage.
Has anyone had success with this solution?
3. I don't want to have IP removed ..... source of greater problems to come.

Can you reach the drain tube by removing the catalytic converter?

2007 Slate Grey XK Coupe .......... suggestions?

Old 05-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Thumbs up AC Condensation leak

See AC Condensation leak ... posted today......... 2007 Grey XK

A no cost solution. Turn on automatic AC ........ close all AC vents.

Increased pressure forced condensation water out of AC/heater drain hose.

It worked for me today. I am replacing the AC drain tube as extra safe solution.

2007 Grey XK

MarkyUK (09-13-2020)
Old 05-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Taking the dash out is not too bad for an experienced tech. You cannot get to the drain without lowering the trans. The hole is above the center of the bell housing and even with the trans down it can be tight to get to the drain nipple.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Default AC Condensation Water Leak

Thanks ........

I spoke to the Jaguar technician at Island Jaguar ........ he advised that they have replaced a lot of XK drain hose....... It is a 20-30 minute job to remove the instrument panel with minimum risk. Then they have full access to the AC/Heater and the condensation drain .... this is the recommended solution rather than access above the tranny. JTB00121 has 2.80 hours shop time for this repair. I am scheduled for this service on May 21st.

Thanks .......... Alec Redfearn Satellite Beach... 2007 Slate Grey XK Coupe

Old 07-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AC Drain fix easy

I have tried all the ways in the forum short of taking the car apart to fix the ac drain blockage.Today I tried by reaching under the firewall from the engine compartment with my palm facing up and you can reach enough to feel the drain hole from the AC.I made a tube with bends stuck it into the hole guiding it with my hand.Used compressed air through the tube and moved it around a bit what do you know it started draining

JagXKR2009 (06-08-2021)
Old 07-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by captencanada
I have tried all the ways in the forum short of taking the car apart to fix the ac drain blockage.Today I tried by reaching under the firewall from the engine compartment with my palm facing up and you can reach enough to feel the drain hole from the AC.I made a tube with bends stuck it into the hole guiding it with my hand.Used compressed air through the tube and moved it around a bit what do you know it started draining
I have an '07 with the AC drain problem, as well. How were you able to get enough of your arm up there? If your way works then I am going to try it when I get back to my car. It sucks that someone would have to take out the entire dash to get to that part.

When you made the tube how did you know it was going into the drain hose?

Old 07-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope your solution works for you - I am not sure it will - the problem is that the duck bill hose has to be made of a perishable type of rubber to have the flexibility to close when no water is flowing but soft enough to open when water does flow - the problem is that over time the hose becomes "Sticky" so there is not really a blockage to clear - it is the rubber that needs to be replaced/removed - some people have had success by cutting the duck bill part - I ended up taking dash out and replacing with fuel grade hose that does not have a duck bill - no issues since so it seems to have worked (several months in hot climate) Hope it all works out for you.

I did put pictures on this site somewhere......

Old 07-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin - Houston
I did put pictures on this site somewhere......
This will be it https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eak-fix-73085/

Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 AM

I Must explain that the only way to reach the drain hole with your fingers is to be on passenger side of car facing forward reaching back, behind your back sort of, with your arm and you can just touch the drain hole.It is in the middle of the firewall about 7 or 8 inches in.I bend a tube,could be plastic plumbing tube which i used, copper tubbing or a metal brake line 90 degrees with a little bend upwards at the end to catch the hole as you push it in and i guess rub against the end of the drain tube is the object.I sent compressed air through it and it drained

The following 2 users liked this post by captencanada:
amcdonal86 (08-26-2012), hawaii (12-31-2013)
Old 07-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Default ac leak

picture of tool

Attached Thumbnails AC Water Leak Into 2007 XKR-img_3048.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by captencanada:
amcdonal86 (08-26-2012), axr6 (07-19-2012), JagXKR2009 (06-08-2021)
Old 08-26-2012, 09:39 PM

picture of tool
Wow! It worked
Once I pushed the tool through the hole the water started flowing. There must have been 1/2 gallon in there.

I appreciate that bit of info so much. No more wet floor!

JagXKR2009 (06-08-2021)
Old 08-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

I recently bought an '07 XK coupe. It had been garaged in Hilton Head, SC for four years, so with their humidity it may have had the problem and a fix. I cannot be sure simply because I don't have service records.

Whatever, I did check for a wet passenger carpet during due diligence. It was dry. But, when I drove it home (200 mi) there was no evidence of water drainage on my garage floor nor thereafter. I assumed the drain was plugged because most cars do drain some residual water when parked.

I tried something different with some success in that I caused a small amt. of water to drain. What I did was to close all vents except for one. Placed the AC on recirculation, thus closing the outside air intake. Then I took an air compressor hose to the single remaining open vent (first closing the area around the hose temporarily with duct tape), and blew in compressed air. That seemed to open the drain as a small amt. of drain water appeared. This is no guarantee that the drain will stay open, but it is more likely to remain open now water is flowing.

This method, of course, is no guarantee. But it is so simple that it is sort of a "First Choice Repair" that can be done by anyone. Nevertheless, it may well have been that my XK was draining very well before this repair, and what I blew out was just some small residual amt.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I Must explain that the only way to reach the drain hole with your fingers is to be on passenger side of car facing forward reaching back, behind your back sort of, with your arm and you can just touch the drain hole.It is in the middle of the firewall about 7 or 8 inches in.I bend a tube,could be plastic plumbing tube which i used, copper tubbing or a metal brake line 90 degrees with a little bend upwards at the end to catch the hole as you push it in and i guess rub against the end of the drain tube is the object.I sent compressed air through it and it drained
So you use this tool to disturb the "duck bill", which causes it to release the water?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
So you use this tool to disturb the "duck bill", which causes it to release the water?
I know you didn't ask me, but the way that captencanada explained it worked perfectly for me.

I had to remove the vanity cover on the engine manifold to be able to get my hand between the engine and firewall - then I followed the transmission housing back along the upper inner firewall and found the recessed hole where the drain hose lives. The duckbill itself is too far up in the hole to be able to reach it with your finger so that is where the tool comes in - and the tool that captencanada built is perfect!

Once you hit the drain hose you will know it. If you have water on your passenger floor then there is a good deal of backed up water in the air duct housing.

The feeling of knowing that water is not going to be riding along with me is so good!

Old 10-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe I am not doing something right. I have made a tool like the picture provided out of copper tubing. If I take off the engine cover and the plastic air intake tube from the passenger side I can get my hand down and just touch what I am assuming is the hole where the drain is. I have varied the length of the 90 degree bend in my tool and don't seem to hit the rubber duckbill. I really don't feel the tip of the tool hitting anything. How far up the hole is the drain?

Maybe I will buy an endoscope snake cam from eBay and try and get a look at what I am looking for.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW - My local Jaguar dealership quoted me at $1100 to do the TSB. If they had said 400-500 like I have seen other people get, I would have had it at the shop already.

Old 01-08-2017, 02:20 AM
Received 177 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by fstick09
Maybe I am not doing something right. I have made a tool like the picture provided out of copper tubing. If I take off the engine cover and the plastic air intake tube from the passenger side I can get my hand down and just touch what I am assuming is the hole where the drain is. I have varied the length of the 90 degree bend in my tool and don't seem to hit the rubber duckbill. I really don't feel the tip of the tool hitting anything. How far up the hole is the drain?

Maybe I will buy an endoscope snake cam from eBay and try and get a look at what I am looking for.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BTW - My local Jaguar dealership quoted me at $1100 to do the TSB. If they had said 400-500 like I have seen other people get, I would have had it at the shop already.

Any luck on this?

I bought a endoscope, but I still cannot locate the hole.

it is directly above the centerline of the transmission correct?

Old 09-11-2020, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Jaguar xk

What year was your XK

Old 09-12-2020, 06:29 AM
Received 282 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunit
What year was your XK
I got it fixed in an hour on my 2007 XKR, see sticky
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-doing-222930/

Gunit (09-12-2020)