XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Adaptive cruise issues....

Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Adaptive cruise issues....

So I haven't been able to use my adaptive cruise for more than 5-10 minutes before it disables itself. All of a sudden, the center screen says "Driver Intervene" and the cruise control cancels altogether. When I go to fire it up again, it says "Radar sensor blocked." Over the course of a decent sized trip, I can sometimes reactivate the cruise at some point, but it again only lasts about 5 minutes before cutting out. I cannot find a common denominator, it never happens in the same place and there's usually nothing around that could cause it to behave erratically. Anyone heard of this before? Simple fix or second mortgage? Thanks, everyone.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Question: Silver Jag? (seems a more common denominator)
Also, there is a software update to address some Adaptive issues: JTB00086 However it was issued in May of 08, so I would have thought it fixed on an 09, but who knows, your issue may be something different.

Vince

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
GritsNCornbread (09-04-2013)
Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...already-47010/

Read the above thru. Mine goes out when on a long trip. Say 1700 miles it will kick out at least one time each way. I've found if I pull over and shut the car off and restart it, then the cruise is normal for another??? 1000 miles of continuous driving.

Mine is a SILVER car also. Also, if I just keep on driving after it kicks off using my foot, then it will recover after???? fifteen to twenty minutes or so. I'd rather make a quick stop to the side of the road for ten seconds and restart and then re-engage and press on.

That beats sitting in a Service bay for a couple of hrs imho.

GritsNCornbread (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM

Yep, Mine is Silver (Grey?) I'll read through the other thread, and thank you for the bulletin info. I'll look into it directly.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:49 PM

I can see your logic regarding a quick stop on the side of the road for a restart, except that I don't get 1000 miles in-between hiccups. I literally cannot go more than 10 minutes without it quitting on me. It's getting quite frustrating.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by GritsNCornbread
I can see your logic regarding a quick stop on the side of the road for a restart, except that I don't get 1000 miles in-between hiccups. I literally cannot go more than 10 minutes without it quitting on me. It's getting quite frustrating.
Sounds different than the common issues (mine was also once or twice on a 800 mile road trip, so not as bad)... But check your dealership for the TSB issue and see if they can tell you if it has been done...

BOL
Vince

Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Send a PM to Stuart S who owns the same car as we do with the Adaptive Cruise Control. He has had his 2009 XKR Portfolio for a good period of time, and knows his car well. He may be able to shred some light on this topic.

My 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition convertible does not have the ACC.

Stuart S would be great source to discuss this topic with.

GritsNCornbread (09-07-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My post in 2008 may still be some help - I don't know if jaguar has ever acknowledged moving the horn 1 degree off spec....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Car is 2007 XK Coupe nearly one year old. Since new we have had random cutting out of the cruise control with the red warning "driver intervention" triangle appearing. Cruise cuts out and wil not work again for 15 minutes or (maybe) turning off engine which is a pain since you are on the highway.

I took it to a dealer in California - they said it was the radar horn and replaced it. Seemed OK but then problems re-occurred on next long trip.

So I took it to another dealer in Canada and they coincidentally had been the FIRST Jaguar dealer to discover the fix - which is now a Jaguar approved Warranty fix. It all relates to the colour of the car (silver cars are more susceptible)the angle of the radar horn (must be moved 1 degree from spec) the software and the control modules. So as my Public Service Announcement, here is the stuff off my repair invoice (free of course) that you can throw at your dealer:

889940 reconfigure the speed control module
869380 update 7 modules X150 Enhancement program (IP11)
Perform software enhancement program K013 outstanding per DDW 05-12-08
Replace C2P16704 Spring and C2P15674

GritsNCornbread (09-09-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,131 Likes on 3,378 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Send a PM to Stuart S who owns the same car as we do with the Adaptive Cruise Control. He has had his 2009 XKR Portfolio for a good period of time, and knows his car well. He may be able to shred some light on this topic.

My 2009 XKR Portfolio Edition convertible does not have the ACC.

Stuart S would be great source to discuss this topic with.
Richard,

Just noticed this post and thought I'd reply. I've used my ACC almost every day for almost 3 years and haven't had any problems or warning messages. It has never cut off by itself, but I've never taken it on a long trip or had it turned on continuously for more than 30 minutes. I suspect that whatever issues may have occurred with prior models were fixed with the 2009 model, but I'm not positive.

One other point - I've noticed that on one route that I travel often, when going around a sharp curve, the ACC will lose sight of the car in front of me and sometimes, but not always, shuts itself off depending on how far that other car is from me. This by design, and is not a system fault. The manual states:

" Detection issues can occur:
1. When driving on a different line to the vehicle in front.
2. With vehicles which edge into your lane which can only be detected once they have moved fully into your lane.
3. There may be issues with the detection of vehicles in front when going into and out of a bend.

In these cases ACC may brake late or unexpectedly. The driver should stay alert and intervene if necessary."

The manual has a lot of good info about ACC and the warning messages. ACC operation can malfunction if you've installed a clear bra on the front bumper or if dirt/snow/ice has accumulated on that front cover area where the ACC sensor is located.

Stuart

Old 09-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Hmmm, I think the subject is Adaptive Cruise Control tuning OFF which means you now get to drive 900 miles with your foot alone. Not talking about the cruise control detecting a car in front of you.

OFF as in NO cruise control at all. Throttle now controled by the right foot with no assist. Post #8 above sounds like the 'fix' for the cruise control being disabled. I've a Silver car also. I doubt I'll be getting the fix since it only happens on long trips of hour upon hour of driving and I have the fix for my car as described in a post above by me. I don't advise others to do as I do. I just Hate sitting in a dealership for so little gain for me.

Last edited by Hailers; 09-06-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a 2007 silver xk with adaptive cruise. Never worked right and could not be fixed by dealer. $80000 car with an unusable cruise. What a joke. Have a 2012 now with manual cruise. Much better

Hailers (09-07-2013)
Old 09-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 69 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the exact same problem with my 2007 XK which is black. Last winter the dealer reflashed the computer with an update for $25.00. I am not the original owner so I thought the charge was very reasonable. I have not had the problem since!