XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Adaptive Head Light in non Adapive Light car

Old 09-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Adaptive Head Light in non Adapive Light car

Does anone know of any issues installing an adaptive headlight in a 2007 XK that does not have AFL?

Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

I think it is a fair amount of software work to get the ECUs to recognize and communicate with the headlights. If you understand the SDD and have all the software, probably no big deal to update all the modules.

Why do you want to do it? I have the adaptive headlights on my XK and not on my XJ. When driving I don't think the XK headlights offer ANY advantage over the XJ headlights. Sure, if you look closely you can see the XK lights turning a little bit when you go around the corner. I don't see any real benefit and would not pay $.05 for it.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:10 AM
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts

It's a complexly integrated system that is absolutely not worth the effort to consider beyond this thread. I have it on my '10 and compared to every other car I've driven that didn't have it (that is, every other car I've ever driven), it doesn't make a difference. At no point in time have I ever thought, "wow, I'm sure glad my headlights turn a few degrees when I turn the wheel." It's not like the adaptive cruise which actually makes driving more pleasant; it's a feature for the sake of being a feature.

The following users liked this post:
davchr (09-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't want to turn on the feature. I bought a headlight with the Adaptive module (the add didn't say it was a Adaptive light) to replace my non Adaptive headlight. It seems to work fine in the car, just wanted to see if there were any issues known with using the Adaptive light in the car without the option.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:06 PM

I'd say then that you've answered your own question.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandrake
It's a complexly integrated system that is absolutely not worth the effort to consider beyond this thread. I have it on my '10 and compared to every other car I've driven that didn't have it (that is, every other car I've ever driven), it doesn't make a difference. At no point in time have I ever thought, "wow, I'm sure glad my headlights turn a few degrees when I turn the wheel." It's not like the adaptive cruise which actually makes driving more pleasant; it's a feature for the sake of being a feature.
Odd...I had them in my '13 Volvo XC-60 and noticed a significant difference when driving at night as compared to our Outback which didn't have them. It could be that a majority of my driving at night is in rural areas with little to no light pollution. That said, while I saw a benefit, I don't think there was enough to justify modding a car that didn't come with it to have it.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by kfeltenberger
Odd...I had them in my '13 Volvo XC-60 and noticed a significant difference when driving at night as compared to our Outback which didn't have them. It could be that a majority of my driving at night is in rural areas with little to no light pollution. That said, while I saw a benefit, I don't think there was enough to justify modding a car that didn't come with it to have it.
Agreed. I don't so much NOTICE it when I drive, but when I'm not in the XKR I definitely notice that I DON'T have it. Is it worth the five grand or so option? Well, when one spends $110k on a car, why not?

Old 09-23-2017, 10:52 PM

They may have been more effective in the Volvo because you're both sitting higher in the car and above the road.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:54 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mandrake
They may have been more effective in the Volvo because you're both sitting higher in the car and above the road.
That's a great observation and one I hadn't considered.