XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Adaptive Headlight Icon

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ter11
Hi all,

I also wrote on the forum about my intermittent AFS issue (amber blinking warning light & left headlight pointing down).

Latest attempt to fix was to ensure that the mass connection behind the wheel liner near the left headlight was really ok.

I had my mechanic remove the front left wheel liner and clean & retorque this mass connection. This mass connector is infamous for causing various problems on XK with lights such as indicators. Not sure if also AFS may be affected by it. But it was worth a try and for the time being I didn’t get the AFS warning anymore since then (however only one month ago).

If both headlights are pointing down, a possible culprit could also be the AFS control module located in right A-pilar. There is a TSB out there on this, search forum.
Personally, I have not read much about the 2 modules mounted behind the headlights to cause these AFS issues, but keen to hear about details if available.

Br,
ter
Unfortunately my AFS error is back after about 5 months of peace. It is still intermittent, but I have it almost every day. Sometimes it’s gone after 2 ignition cycles. On top of that for the first time also pedestrian system failure 😦.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:01 PM
Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Did you check battery?

Old 06-30-2019, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by DannyJ
Did you check battery?
I didn’t check the voltage. But the battery is only 1y old and is regularly changed by my ctek. Also within the last few days, unfortunately without impact on the intermittent AFS and PPS failure messages.

Br
ter

Last edited by Ter11; 06-30-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:16 PM

Before I go for a new headlight, my plan is the following
  • remove wheel arch liner and again check on the mass connection behind the left headlight
  • check the lever for driving in left side driving countries is in correct and locked position (last time I had my left headlight disassembled, I couldn’t see this lever)
  • remove both headlights and swap the Afs-modules mounted behind each headlight
  • I guess swapping the ballast modules mounted under each headlight does not make sense, as the ballast has nothing to do with afs function, correct?

Last edited by Ter11; 06-30-2019 at 03:37 PM.