XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Adding a supercharger to an XK?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:28 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Adding a supercharger to an XK?

Has anyone thought about adding a supercharger to a regular XK? Maybe direct swap from a XKR?
Any other options?
Thanks, would love more power!

Old 07-19-2013, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Buying an actual XKR would be cheaper I would think...07 XKR's aren't a lot more than 07 XK's...

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (02-09-2018)
Old 07-19-2013, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Buying an actual XKR would be cheaper I would think...07 XKR's aren't a lot more than 07 XK's...
+1

There are a fair number of differences in the engine and electronics of an XKR so it would not be a simple process.

Adding a supercharger to a regular XK probably can be done if you are interested in the engineering challenge but trading for an R model will be cheaper, easier and probably more reliable.

hendercc (06-29-2014)
Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 AM
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

It would be easier to add an aftermarket supercharger. A Vortech style unit with custom piping would be fairly simple to do. You just need a tuning device that can overwrite Jaguar. I'm sure you could talk to Jags at ECU TG for a custom flash to run it stoich...Still, I had a guy who wanted a custom supercharged build on a BMW 645ci 2005. Ended up costing him $12000... Might be cheaper to get a XKR.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Doesn't make any sense at all to me to make that kind of investment in a 6 year old XK. You would be much better off just selling it and buying a XKR.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I did have a pro charger P1SC for my Corvette. At the time my friend owned a corvette shop so out the door including labor was around $5k. The kit also included upgraded plugs, wires, fuel pump and harden half shaft. My friend already had LS1 edit so tuning is also a must. Also, you might want to pressure test the bottom end of your engine to make sure it can take the extra power or else you will need to forged the internals. The good thing was the kit was made for the corvette so all the plumbing was included. Try to find a kit for the XK (if there is one) because it's been tested and a installer that you can trust. Reason is, most likely there will be minor problems that needs to be corrected after the install. If not, I would swap to a XKR.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Jaguar has already done all the engineering for the R type with a supercharger and you could easily sell your NA car and buy a similar R type for a few thousand more.

I am pretty sure the NA cars are higher compression than the SC cars, so adding more boost via any forced induction would be difficult. Tuning would be necessary and the result would probably be 50 HP, if you were lucky.

I see this question asked a lot on the forum, along with "anyone put a turbo on their Jag?"

I really think some owners were unaware that they could have bought a factory boosted car from Jaguar.

The R types usually have a beefier transmission, an extra fuel pump and nicer trim levels too.

Short answer is yes, you can do it, but why would you when you can buy it already done, tested and approved by Jaguar?
Vector

Old 07-19-2013, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

It's possible, but my biggest concern would be the reliability.

Trade it in....

Old 07-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Anyone know what the price difference between a regular '07 XK and XKR is? I think it's something like $7-10k but I'm not sure.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

The new XKRs have additional traction control technology that the XK doesn't have to help manage the additional power. I don't know about '07s. Consider your ability to harness and benefit from any extra power you create.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Anyone know what the price difference between a regular '07 XK and XKR is? I think it's something like $7-10k but I'm not sure.
That is about right. I bought my '07 XK with about 75K miles for about $25K in January. It is in great mechanical shape and just had a few minor cosmetic issues on the interior to repair.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was afraid you guys would say just sell it and buy xkr. I really hate to sell mine because I think I got a good one.....just need more power!
Thanks again!

Decipher_Me (02-02-2024)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has everyone just left this forum in the last 5 years? There have been a lot of happenings since.
I would like to know how to finish installing the 08 supercharger in my 07 xk. I have all the main parts. The supercharger, intercooler, ECM, and would like to find an expert. Don't tell me it can't be done because I have seen it done. I just can't find anyone to do it for me.

Decipher_Me (02-02-2024)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Sounds like an interesting project but as mentioned above the compression ratios are different between the two engines? The S/C engines are 9.1:1 and the other ones are 11.0:1.

Don't know if it matters but thought I would mention it.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

There may be some things if you want to do and no one has done that you must forge your own path.

Especially given the stack up of advice to trade for an XKR if you want supercharging.

This is something to be undertaken either by someone with a large sum of money, to pay a large amount of talent; or something with a large amount of talent, and a large amount of time.

Maybe pay the guy that you have seen it done by, to do it for you?

Old 02-09-2018, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by weazle777
Has everyone just left this forum in the last 5 years? There have been a lot of happenings since.
I would like to know how to finish installing the 08 supercharger in my 07 xk. I have all the main parts. The supercharger, intercooler, ECM, and would like to find an expert. Don't tell me it can't be done because I have seen it done. I just can't find anyone to do it for me.
It's a fools errand. There's too much different to be financially worthwhile when the work has been done already on the //R. That's why the subject has died. Honestly, find a nice XKR and buy that.

ralphwg (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I don't think most are saying it can't be done but that it would be difficult and expensive. I'm all for mods and conversions as it is the preference of the person who wants to do it. So IMHO go for it and keep us posted on your progress. It would also be great if you document the mod along with the sunk costs of parts and labor. You are also finding that it seems no one on this form knows of anywhere or anyone who has done this so you will be a trailblazer. With that good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

The first step is finding a way to reduce cylinder compression to 9:1 Do this before buying any other component.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,538 Likes on 889 Posts

Did you ever look at forgoing the supercharger and instead opening up your heads and installing more aggressive camshafts as there is a fair bit of power to be gained by doing this on the n/a engine .

Last edited by steve_k_xk; 02-09-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks all

Thanks for All the input. I already have the supercharger, the xkr ECM, and the intercooler. Have about $1100 into all of it with a one year operable warranty. I have a few other things to get including intake routing and other minor plumbing. Thanks also for the info on the compression ratio. I will have to look into it. I have had the car for just over a year and just happen to fall into some great deals since my boss has a few connections. Unfortunately no Jaguar geeks. I just need to find someone in the Temecula or San Diego with this sort of knowledge. I know how to work on cars and even have an undergrad degree in automotive technology from SUNY Morrisville but this is a little out of my league. Oh, and I don't know the owner of the one that I saw done. I had a friend that showed me video about six months ago and that is what got me on this kick. Then I started finding some great sound deals.<br /><br />Anyhow, thanks for all the responses. I have learned a bit. Please send any info my way. Any and all is welcome. Even the naysayers. <br /><br />;Kelly<br />

Quick Reply: Adding a supercharger to an XK?