XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR

Hello all, I am looking for advice as far as the good, bad or problems if any as I am looking for a 2012-2015 XK, XKR. I was looking at 911's for about 6 months and got frustrated with the Porsche ordering system and started looking at alternative cars and fell in lust with the F-Type, which is a different car than the XK. I have a 2010 M3 that I thought about moving up to an M4 but with options at about $80K, ok maybe not. I have always loved the XK since it came out in 2007 and would rather get a new, almost new, or low mileage used XK, XKR since they won't be making them anymore or maybe they will have a new updated version, but I am guessing in the $130k range.

Anyway, any input is helpful as far as years to stay away from for the 2012-2015, and is the XKR worth the extra money? There are just some good buys in the $50k-$75k range 2013-2014 xk, xkr's with 100-29,000 miles and base 2015's inthe $64k-$86k for no or low mileage cars that all seem to have the same options, just different motivation on the dealers part I guess.

Is the XKR worth going for when it has more miles but the same price range as a base/touring XK? Is there drastically more expensive maintenance on the XKR and much worse fuel mileage, not that it is much of a concern, it's not a Prius!

Also does anyone have the accurate info on why some have the newer F-Type style sport seats? I find them on both 2012-2015 XK and also XKR. I have also found a $20k difference in price for the same car at different dealers, so I guess it would all boil down to being at the dealer making an offer, which I hate doing, I would rather just get a firm quote over the phone, but they are car dealers and I really don't trust anything that is not in writing, so I guess dealer reputation is a big factor.

Thanks for any input.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts

I picked up a 2011 XK coupe in August with 48k miles. The 2010 and up model years are similar mechanically, with the 2012+ cars having the front end design tweaks and the back up camera. The main issues I've seen reported are Water Pump (it might have been resolved by 2012, do a search here), TPMS alerts, and various electrical gremlins that seem to be resolved by keeping the car on a battery tender. The XK vs XKR is a personal choice... test drive and see. When I was shopping it looked like about a 4k premium for an XKR over an XK in the same model year/mileage. Besides the supercharger, the XKR gives you the "e-diff" limited slip differential, active exhaust, and some exterior trim differences. The factory warranty is 4 years/50k, Jaguar official extended needs to be purchased before 49k miles if you are not getting a CPO warranty.

When I was shopping, there were many more cars available in Texas, Florida, Arizona and Nevada then the northeast... the dealers around me were charging a premium so I shipped a car up from Florida. The production numbers are pretty low in the later model years, so it may take some time to find a car that matches your color/interior preferences if you are picky about them.

If you get an XK, 19" wheels were standard with the 20's being a $5000 option (list price). I think all of the XKR's got the 20's.

The car is a blast to drive... and in my humble opinion is one of the best looking modern cars around.

Good luck with your search!

Last edited by SeanU; 11-10-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Difference between a XK and XKR are up to you, drive both and decide. Owners of each will of course tout why they made their choice and will defend that vigorously. The choice is whether you want/need the speed which is significant. I'd also suggest taking a look at XKR-S versions, they were rare and prices there have fallen to 70-85K range for low mileage examples. Also you didn't specify whether you wanted a coupe or convertible.

Take a look at Autotrader, Carguru, Autotempest even eBay and you'll get a great idea of what they "list" for. If you do look at eBay also look at "completed items" to see what they actually sold for or didn't sell for to get a good idea of realistic selling prices versus asking prices. When I look at buying I personally NEVER look at dealerships as they don't know the history of the cars and they are solely looking to maximize their profits often at the expense of being honest and truthful. It's been my experience that they list cars usually at 20% over usual selling price in hopes of finding their sucker. ... not to say that individuals are always honest but my having bought many used cars has shown I can get FAR better deals dealing with private party versus dealerships... YMMV.

I will likely take time to find your car, they just aren't a lot out there so you may need to open your distance of search considerably.

Good luck

Old 11-10-2015, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by SeanU
I picked up a 2011 XK coupe in August with 48k miles. The 2010 and up model years are similar mechanically, with the 2012+ cars having the front end design tweaks and the back up camera. The main issues I've seen reported are Water Pump (it might have been resolved by 2012, do a search here), TPMS alerts, and various electrical gremlins that seem to be resolved by keeping the car on a battery tender. The XK vs XKR is a personal choice... test drive and see. When I was shopping it looked like about a 4k premium for an XKR over an XK in the same model year/mileage. Besides the supercharger, the XKR gives you the "e-diff" limited slip differential, active exhaust, and some exterior trim differences. The factory warranty is 4 years/50k, Jaguar official extended needs to be purchased before 49k miles if you are not getting a CPO warranty.

When I was shopping, there were many more cars available in Texas, Florida, Arizona and Nevada then the northeast... the dealers around me were charging a premium so I shipped a car up from Florida. The production numbers are pretty low in the later model years, so it may take some time to find a car that matches your color/interior preferences if you are picky about them.

If you get an XK, 19" wheels were standard with the 20's being a $5000 option (list price). I think all of the XKR's got the 20's.

The car is a blast to drive... and in my humble opinion is one of the best looking modern cars around.

Good luck with your search!
Yes I agree on the best looking car! I am not a drop top guy, but there seem to be a lot of low mileage convertibles at lower prices than some of the coupes, something to think about I guess, maybe there is not as much of a resale value on them!

Old 11-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

When I started looking I made a list of what I wanted and what I would accept. The 1st was a convertible and the 2nd was a 5.0L XKR. I tested a 2010 but after seeing the changes to the 2012 I started looking in that MY. I also felt that the 2012 through 2015 would be pretty much the same so it was the last of the breed. It took me 6 months to find one I liked and could live with and pulled the trigger sight unseen other then pictures. Now if I had some extra bucks I would have maybe held out for an XKR-S but I wanted a toy when I did so waiting wasn't an option. I have now put 7000 miles on it in the last 2 years and the top goes down as I leave the garage. So my suggestion is to make a list and go for the 2012-2015 MY.
Oh , yesterday went out to play a round of golf. Morning temps were 45* but the top came down ad the ride was great. Enjoy the ride.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 1960apache
Yes I agree on the best looking car! I am not a drop top guy, but there seem to be a lot of low mileage convertibles at lower prices than some of the coupes, something to think about I guess, maybe there is not as much of a resale value on them!
Another version to consider is the XKR-S, the top-line performance trim (other than very limited XKR-S GT) that was available from 2012-2015. Basically a fully-optioned XKR with a horsepower bump to 550. Also included are:

Styling changes with revised front fascia and skirts, carbon fiber front splitter and rear diffuser, and rear carbon fiber spoiler.

Performance active exhaust was standard, and there were some suspension tweaks too, lowered ride height, etc.

You also get the sport seats standard and the leather headliner, and aluminum/piano black veneer inside.

Some unique colors were available too, most notably French Racing Blue (see below), if you like to stand out. Mine is Ultimate black, which has some nice copper-colored metallic flake that really shines in the sun.

------------------------------------------

Either way, there weren't really any changes for 2012-2015 XKs in general- 2012 was the last update. I personally would go for the XKR or R-S, as the additional power is noticeable. A coupe will most likely take more time to find, but if you wait, the right car will come along.

My XKR-S actually gets about 18MPG around town, mid 20s on the highway. Plenty good enough for me.

The sport seats were an option for XKs and XKRs, standard on the XKR-S. Another high-dollar option (when new) that distinguishes some XKRs from others is the Dynamic Pack- so that's something to keep an eye out for (might have been made standard for 2015 only but not sure...)

Attached Thumbnails Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR-jaguarxkrscoupe-05.jpg  

Last edited by 01Silverstone; 11-10-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

I found this to be the opposite during my search for a 2012 XKR convertible. It seemed the coupes were popular and there was no problem finding them. When I changed the search details on all of the major car site it seemed the coupes were running 2 or 3 to 1 over the converts. I also found the converts to be priced higher then the coupes by around $5K. I think the biggest challenge was the color. If you like black , gray or silver and even white you should have no problem finding one. On the other hand if you want red , blue or green they didn't make to many of them so the hunt will take longer. On the other hand if you are looking at an XK they should be available in most of the available colors. Good luck in your hunt.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

If adaptive cruise control is important to you, it is an option that is hard to find. Cars equipped with ACC have 2 controllers on the right side of the steering wheel, not one.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
If adaptive cruise control is important to you, it is an option that is hard to find. Cars equipped with ACC have 2 controllers on the right side of the steering wheel, not one.
I LOVE my Adaptive Cruise Control, until some nimrod pulls right in front of me on the freeway WAY too close. My car slams on the brakes and it takes me by surprise. I've often wondered but never checked...... do the Brake Lights come on when the Adaptive Cruise Control applies the brakes????????? It would truly suck if I got rear-ended because the brake lights didn't illuminate in that situation.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I LOVE my Adaptive Cruise Control, until some nimrod pulls right in front of me on the freeway WAY too close. My car slams on the brakes and it takes me by surprise. I've often wondered but never checked...... do the Brake Lights come on when the Adaptive Cruise Control applies the brakes????????? It would truly suck if I got rear-ended because the brake lights didn't illuminate in that situation.
My 2005 XK8 had the same system, and it did illuminate the brake lights. I sure hope they kept that feature as part of the options with the X150!!

I had similar experiences as you did, with the car overreacting when I got cut off, so I had to be careful where I used it. I'd like to try out the newer version of the system on the new XF to see how they've improved it.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Get an XKR-S and be done with it. That car is special and will be special for some time.

The following users liked this post:
01Silverstone (11-14-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Get an XKR-S and be done with it. That car is special and will be special for some time.
Yes your one step ahead of me, I just came to the conclusion I should really be searching for one that I like with the lowest mile possible and lowest price possible, it almost seems impossible that some are in the same price range as an XKR. I thought they were a bit gaudy looking with all the wings and spoilers etc, but it blends in when black.

Also did they make the XK dynamic R in the US? I am just searching today. Oh heck, time will tell what I will find!

Old 11-14-2015, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Yes your one step ahead of me, I just came to the conclusion I should really be searching for one that I like with the lowest mile possible and lowest price possible, it almost seems impossible that some are in the same price range as an XKR. I thought they were a bit gaudy looking with all the wings and spoilers etc, but it blends in when black.

Also did they make the XK dynamic R in the US? I am just searching today. Oh heck, time will tell what I will find!

Good choice! This is mine in black, with the London Tan interior. I too was worried about the spoiler being too "boy-racer" looking, but in person it's very classy- I wouldn't trade it for anything. Best of luck in your search! (The front splitter is missing here as I had to replace it, FYI)

And yes, the XKR with dynamic pack was available in the US.

Attached Thumbnails Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR-image.jpeg  
Old 11-14-2015, 07:59 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

My high specification Black on Ivory 2013 XKR with dynamic pack and performance exhaust is for sale. I have about 7,100 miles on it. I bought it new in Florida 2 years ago. If you are interested I'll give you a great deal. It sets in my garage most of the time. Never driven in the snow or rain. PM if interested.

Attached Thumbnails Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR-046ebbf8dd03bbdbaa178f122727b02cx.jpg   Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR-70af972f862b881c3e28e4628d0c833dx.jpg   Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR-84aa0f0d9a89ec5786c2a97311c91334x.jpg   Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR-p1020582.jpg  

Last edited by DGL; 11-14-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:19 PM

Thanks everyone and why, why, why did I look at the XKR-S, it just took some getting used to and it looks great, the lower rocker moldings look great too! There are some good choices out there, some new for a bit more, the price seems to be climbing over what I was looking for around $75k, there some decent mileage used ones also. I won't be able to buy a new XKR-S in the future, other than the next XK when or if it comes out. Also they dropped the price of the base F-type, so that could be the practical, basic car to do most of my driving. There are just too many good looking XK and F types from the base model to R and RS I think I will just end up having nothing but Jag as far as my modern cars too!

Old 11-15-2015, 08:03 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

You started the below thread in the F-type section claiming you own a 2014 XKR and are looking for an F-type. What is this all about? Are you trolling this site wasting everyone's time?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...oughts-152647/

BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?

Hello all I am back in love with the F-type again, I was content with 1 Jag and love my 14 XKR, but now that I have been flirting with the F-Type, the XKR is looking a bit fat but still sexy!

But seriously I keep going back and forth between black which is always black and safe vs British Racing Green which I have had 3 different shades of over the years and am crazy about it 90% of the time but sometimes in the sun it seems to show a hint of blue, even Brewster Green kind of does that but it looks so great and perfect on a British car. Anyone have any second thoughts about having BRG vs something else? Also does anyone have any second thoughts about going MT vs AT in either direction? The only AT I have is in a GMC Sierra that is used to haul an enclosed auto trailer. Even if it was a close comparison I figure I better go MT while it is still a choice.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by DGL; 11-15-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
You started the below thread in the F-type section claiming you own a 2014 XKR and are looking for an F-type. What is this all about? Are you trolling this site wasting everyone's time?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...oughts-152647/

BRG vs ? and MT vs AT, any second thoughts?

Hello all I am back in love with the F-type again, I was content with 1 Jag and love my 14 XKR, but now that I have been flirting with the F-Type, the XKR is looking a bit fat but still sexy!

But seriously I keep going back and forth between black which is always black and safe vs British Racing Green which I have had 3 different shades of over the years and am crazy about it 90% of the time but sometimes in the sun it seems to show a hint of blue, even Brewster Green kind of does that but it looks so great and perfect on a British car. Anyone have any second thoughts about having BRG vs something else? Also does anyone have any second thoughts about going MT vs AT in either direction? The only AT I have is in a GMC Sierra that is used to haul an enclosed auto trailer. Even if it was a close comparison I figure I better go MT while it is still a choice.

Thanks for your input!
DLG, no just multitasking and dog/children interruptions, but since you have taken it upon yourself to be the forum Police since I didn't respond to your posting in the forum for a car you thought you could unload on a forum member and make an easy sale on! Your car is not at all what I am looking for, wrong wheels, wrong seats and 7100 miles and most likely already has road debris damage to the front bumpers, fenders and hood without clear paint protection!! And why would I go to Canada when I already found a 2014 with 182 miles on it among other good finds for far less than your car with no endless paperwork hassles and bringing a car from Canada to Southern California! I was trying to say I was happy with my 2010 M3 and would be happy with a 2014 XKR I found and thought was perfect, but drove the F-Type and fell in love with that and thought I would be content with a 2014 XKR that I was looking at and ready to make a move on, but saw the F-Type and drove it but after the initial excitement wore off of wanting to buy and F-type R, and who wouldn't, it's an amazing machine, but more than I need to keep my license. I have now settled on waiting for the 2017's to possibly get a base since finding out about the 2017 base to come out and wait for a good buy on one or order one.

Anyway, I have discovered the XKR-S, which I originally didn't like at all and knew nothing about, but found a few in the right colors with low to 5000 miles on for the same to $20k plus less than what I could find a 2015-2016 F-Type R, but those will keep coming down in price and I have plenty of time. For now the XKR-S is the perfect car and I am willing to give up the M3 in a heartbeat and forget about the M4, there are no good buys on that car, but maybe in time, but for now I think I need to grab an XKR-S while there are still a few new or almost new ones. I am sure the next version of the XK will be in the Bentley territory price wise, so forget about that option!

I have found 3 really good options in the right color, seats and wheels, a base, dynamic and XKR-S, too many choices out there at great prices to pass up! The base with the black pack looks simple and sleek, I am not crazy about the rocker extensions on the dynamic, the hood is cool, and the R-S is just plain awesome, pictures do it no justice! The chances of finding one in BRG are probably slim and none, but plenty of time to wait and keep digging!

Attached Thumbnails Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR-0000.jpg   Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR-00000.jpg   Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR-000000.jpeg  
Old 11-15-2015, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

I am interested in seeing how the louvers were done. Looks more like the GT hood. No interest in the coupe or a black car but for others it's a matter of choice. Happy hunting.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:38 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

DLG, no just multitasking and dog/children interruptions, but since you have taken it upon yourself to be the forum Police since I didn't respond to your posting in the forum for a car you thought you could unload on a forum member and make an easy sale on! Your car is not at all what I am looking for, wrong wheels, wrong seats and 7100 miles and most likely already has road debris damage to the front bumpers, fenders and hood without clear paint protection!! And why would I go to Canada when I already found a 2014 with 182 miles on it among other good finds for far less than your car with no endless paperwork hassles and bringing a car from Canada to Southern California! I was trying to say I was happy with my 2010 M3 and would be happy with a 2014 XKR I found and thought was perfect, but drove the F-Type and fell in love with that and thought I would be content with a 2014 XKR that I was looking at and ready to make a move on, but saw the F-Type and drove it but after the initial excitement wore off of wanting to buy and F-type R, and who wouldn't, it's an amazing machine, but more than I need to keep my license. I have now settled on waiting for the 2017's to possibly get a base since finding out about the 2017 base to come out and wait for a good buy on one or order one.

Anyway, I have discovered the XKR-S, which I originally didn't like at all and knew nothing about, but found a few in the right colors with low to 5000 miles on for the same to $20k plus less than what I could find a 2015-2016 F-Type R, but those will keep coming down in price and I have plenty of time. For now the XKR-S is the perfect car and I am willing to give up the M3 in a heartbeat and forget about the M4, there are no good buys on that car, but maybe in time, but for now I think I need to grab an XKR-S while there are still a few new or almost new ones. I am sure the next version of the XK will be in the Bentley territory price wise, so forget about that option!

I have found 3 really good options in the right color, seats and wheels, a base, dynamic and XKR-S, too many choices out there at great prices to pass up! The base with the black pack looks simple and sleek, I am not crazy about the rocker extensions on the dynamic, the hood is cool, and the R-S is just plain awesome, pictures do it no justice! The chances of finding one in BRG are probably slim and none, but plenty of time to wait and keep digging!

1960apache: You have made a litany of obnoxious claims about my car which you know nothing about... However, in your above post you claim to own a 2014 XKR which is totally false. I'll leave it to the good members on this forum to decide who is out of line. I was just trying to help if you were interested in my mint XKR, which for FYI has had a clear bra installed from new on the front, back, and sides. This goes to show you're full of sh...

Old 11-15-2015, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by DGL
1960apache: You have made a litany of obnoxious claims about my car which you know nothing about... However, in your above post you claim to own a 2014 XKR which is totally false. I'll leave it to the good members on this forum to decide who is out of line. I was just trying to help if you were interested in my mint XKR, which for FYI has had a clear bra installed from new on the front, back, and sides. This goes to show you're full of sh...
Seriously?? Get over it man, your just angry you couldn't unload your car easy by hijacking a thread and post your car for sale and you want to start an argument, your funny! "Litany of obnoxious claims" i.e. NOT the seats I am looking for, lack of sport seats is a deal killer, ivory is a deal killer, those are NOT the wheels I am looking for, another deal killer and the part you don't seem to understand but the clear bra on half the car makes it well worth the hassle, expense and headache of bringing a car from Canada to the Southern California? Using your words, how is that a "great deal" for me, it's great for you, you get to unload a car that based on my research has little to no chance of selling quickly for decent money, it's a buyers market now! But again, nice try to attempt to dump it on a forum and not post it in the classified section and I would guess that is frowned upon or not following the forum rules like most other forums, you could have been professional and PM'd me instead of airing your dirty laundry to the rest of the forum.

Again, sorry your so angry you couldn't unload your car so easy and invading your little piece of cyberspace on this forum, and again, just get over it man and move on, it's useless conversation!

Also sorry to the forum for this useless cyber babble!

Last edited by 1960apache; 11-15-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice on 2012-2015 XK-XKR