XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

After 4 months in storage the car is Dead?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default After 4 months in storage the car is Dead?!?!

So after 4 moths of winter separation from my Jag, I finally insured it today and was looking so forward to an evening drive.
I gave it a quick once over to make sure there were no loose ends, unplugged the battery tender, jumped in, put my left foot firmly planted on the brake pedal and pressed that big red start button and...........nothing.
Lights dimmed and there was nothing but a quiet dig of a warning.
I took off my foot and planted it yet again, pressed the button and waited but nothing happened.
Talk about a let down
New battery last spring
Battery tender when not in use
How long before I will even have the time to deal with this???
I climbed out of the car as pissed off as can be and reached into my pocket for the remote to lock the car for the night........wait a minute, where is my fob??
Oh yeah, I left it on my desk!
Ran in like lightning.........grabbed it........jumped back in the car and guess what?
Started right up!
Boy I felt like an idiot.........at least until I pulled out of the driveway, then I felt like a million bucks

The following 5 users liked this post by Versatile:
JimC64 (04-03-2014), MaximA (04-03-2014), Ngarara (04-03-2014), Norri (04-03-2014), sklimii (04-03-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Versatile
So after 4 moths of winter separation from my Jag, I finally insured it today and was looking so forward to an evening drive.
I gave it a quick once over to make sure there were no loose ends, unplugged the battery tender, jumped in, put my left foot firmly planted on the brake pedal and pressed that big red start button and...........nothing.
Lights dimmed and there was nothing but a quiet dig of a warning.
I took off my foot and planted it yet again, pressed the button and waited but nothing happened.
Talk about a let down
New battery last spring
Battery tender when not in use
How long before I will even have the time to deal with this???
I climbed out of the car as pissed off as can be and reached into my pocket for the remote to lock the car for the night........wait a minute, where is my fob??
Oh yeah, I left it on my desk!
Ran in like lightning.........grabbed it........jumped back in the car and guess what?
Started right up!
Boy I felt like an idiot.........at least until I pulled out of the driveway, then I felt like a million bucks
Another GREAT story here on the forums....thanks for the laugh.

Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 AM
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Doh.... lol..funny.... know the felling..

Old 04-03-2014, 02:55 AM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

I know how you felt!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I really liked only having to have the FOB in my pocket for the XKR and our Jags.

The "Emotional Control Unit" (Key fob) in my DBS is getting old. I have to press buttons to lock/unlock, and insert into the dash every time to start.

Jag spoiled me with that kind of key FOB.

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 05:10 AM
Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Versatile,
Similar issue. I took my car to work for the first time yesterday and when leaving I put the windows down and thought why not the top. I hit the switch and nothing. I jumped out and checked the tray in the trunk to make sure connections were tight and still nothing. Three times I jumped out and tried to reset the tray. Finnaly I looked at the dash and it read Shut Your Trunk Dummy.
It worked and off I went the only person in Michigan with the top down.
Jim

Old 04-03-2014, 05:32 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

Have you ever started your car and then had to run in the house because you forgot your phone and some how left the key fob on the kitchen counter and then got back in your now idling car and drive to work and shut your car off when you got there?

I wonder if anyone has ever done that.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:58 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I bet I'll wonder too someday......

Old 04-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

don't forget your pants ..... jus' sayin' .....

Attached Thumbnails After 4 months in storage the car is Dead?!?!-9a360de7066f8d7b4314bc849a9011e4.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Schwabe:
Jffcurt (04-03-2014), MaximA (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
Have you ever started your car and then had to run in the house because you forgot your phone and some how left the key fob on the kitchen counter and then got back in your now idling car and drive to work and shut your car off when you got there?

Wow I wonder if this is even possible. I know my Lexus has the same keyless system but if you get out of the car with the key fob and return without it you can't get it into gear. The shifter is locked out.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
I really liked only having to have the FOB in my pocket for the XKR and our Jags.

The "Emotional Control Unit" (Key fob) in my DBS is getting old. I have to press buttons to lock/unlock, and insert into the dash every time to start.

Jag spoiled me with that kind of key FOB.
The Jag has a great fob and I sometimes just throw mine in pocket when I go downstairs to to get coffee in my building.. Just in case I want to take a peek at my car on the way up..

BUT that sir is mighty nice Aston Martin!

Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I must be the only one who finds they keyfob annoying and unnecessary. They're designed for ladies who are too lazy to take their keys out of their purses!

I end up taking my keys out of my pockets when I drive anyway. But that's because I have so many keys on my keychain--probably more than most dungeonmasters...

Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts
Default confused

Hey Guys,
I'm reading through these comments and am not understanding something....now, I have to say, I have not yet taken possession of my '08 XKR. Am I to believe the "remote" is separate from the "fob". My only reference to remote entry and pushing buttons for starting is from ownership of of my '09 Venza. I need to have my "fob" on my person to gain entry and start the car.
So, whazzz up with the Jag's remote 'n fob deal?
Just trying to learn from y'all mistakes. LOL!

Old 04-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Hey Guys,
I'm reading through these comments and am not understanding something....now, I have to say, I have not yet taken possession of my '08 XKR. Am I to believe the "remote" is separate from the "fob". My only reference to remote entry and pushing buttons for starting is from ownership of of my '09 Venza. I need to have my "fob" on my person to gain entry and start the car.
So, whazzz up with the Jag's remote 'n fob deal?
Just trying to learn from y'all mistakes. LOL!
With these Jags, this is all you need/get:

Attached Thumbnails After 4 months in storage the car is Dead?!?!-2007-jaguar-xk-convertible-key-fob-photo-200528-s-1280x782.jpg  
Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Close,
A buddy of mine brought over a new Caddy XLS one day he was test driving from a car lot about 40 miles away
He parked in the driveway shut her down and after 10 min or so decided he better get the car back.
He looked around for a minute for the start button, pressed it and wouldn't work
He called the dealership and the salesman told him to put his foot on the break first so that's what he did.
Still nothing
We looked under the hood at the battery and tried everything we could think of.
He called the dealer again and while he was talking to the salesman he hears him say "oh know, I forgot to give you the fob!"
The salesman had left it in his pocked during the first part of the test drive.
An hour later........

Old 04-03-2014, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
With these Jags, this is all you need/get:

OK, that' what I thought. But, the way the conversation , in question" was reading, it sounded like there are two different things, a "remote" and a separate reference to "fob". As you show there, that same as my Venza fob. "one key fits all", so to speak.
Thanks for clarifying.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Unfortunately yes, I stopped at the mailbox and left keys in mailbox lock and drove to the grocery store a mile away and stopped car. I saw a warning light but thought it was a gremlin. Right after pushing the Stop button I realized what I had done. I was one pissed off SOB on the mile walk back to retrieve my keys and fob. At least it was only a mile.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

I've left my cars with valets and kept the key many times. They drive it off to a parking deck and can't bring it back.. woops

Old 04-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Did it at a car wash recently - parked in the queue, left without giving them the fob, went & got my hair cut, came back: poor buggers had had to work around it for half an hour. But they'd still cleaned it. Big apology & tip...

Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I think we all have done something like that at least once or twice. The classic for me was in my wife's Lexus. We had gone to LAX to pick up some friends coming for a visit. she gets out of the car to meet them in the luggage pickup at AA; and I start making loops. A warning light starts to flash; I kind of panic and turn off the ignition (hit the stop/start button) on the opposite side of the loop and can't restart the car --- no key fob. Use mobile phone to finally locate wife and friends (lousy cell phone coverage in luggage pickup area) took 20 minutes or so. Then she had to walk about 1 mile to me and her car. Looking back on it - it is funny, but it wasn't then. Solution: now every time we go out in her car I take my key fob as insurance.

Quick Reply: After 4 months in storage the car is Dead?!?!