XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Aftermarket backup cam able to be hooked up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:31 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Aftermarket backup cam able to be hooked up?

hi guys. I bought a very low-mileage 2007 xkr that will be delivered to my house on Wednesday. as it obviously doesn't have a backup cam from the factory, I would like to use an aftermarket license plate mounted one. does the stock head unit have the needed hookup for that and can our screen show that type of image? thanks for any help.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

there is a long discussion on this subject just do a search as far as it goes right now no it is not cost efective to do it to earlier XKs

Old 06-19-2015, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by IanXF
there is a long discussion on this subject just do a search as far as it goes right now no it is not cost efective to do it to earlier XKs
bummer. do you have a link to that thread? tnx.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Cost effectiveness is a subjective matter.

The issue is you need a 'GVIF converter', and even with this, you have to manually select navigation mode, despite deceptive claims of some vendors of 'full integration'.

Only one Asian manufacturer makes GVIF converters, and they do not sell to the public. I have done extensive investigation on these, and every brand out there is identical and is actually made by the same manufacturer, including NavTV's.

If manual selection of navigation is not an issue for you, then you might as well order the unit on ebay from Hong Kong for one of the better prices: Car Gvif Video Interface Adapter for Lexus Toyota Land Rover Nissan Jaguar | eBay, for well under $300 rather than pay $699 for the same NavTV unit.

For those of you waiting for my (TheJagWrangler) integrated system, I will offer a complete package with a top quality camera, easy to understand instruction AND an integration module to eliminate the need for switching to Navigation, but due to unforeseen circumstances, it is still a few months away.

If you have installation questions on the GVIF unit, post them on the forum and I should be able to help.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-20-2015 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Cost effectiveness is a subjective matter.

The issue is you need a 'GVIF converter', and even with this, you have to manually select navigation mode, despite deceptive claims of some vendors of 'full integration'.

Only one Asian manufacturer makes GVIF converters, and they do not sell to the public. I have done extensive investigation on these, and every brand out there is identical and is actually made by the same manufacturer, including NavTV's.

If manual selection of navigation is not an issue for you, then you might as well order the unit on ebay from Hong Kong for one of the better prices: Car Gvif Video Interface Adapter for Lexus Toyota Land Rover Nissan Jaguar | eBay, for well under $300 rather than pay $699 for the same NavTV unit.

For those of you waiting for my (TheJagWrangler) integrated system, I will offer a complete package with a top quality camera, easy to understand instruction AND an integration module to eliminate the need for switching to Navigation, but due to unforeseen circumstances, it is still a few months away.

If you have installation questions on the GVIF unit, post them on the forum and I should be able to help.

thanks very much! that is worth it to me, cost wise. so, are you saying that soon you will have out a unit that comes with the camera and also does not need to me switched to nav mode for the camera?

Old 06-20-2015, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by multistrada74
thanks very much! that is worth it to me, cost wise. so, are you saying that soon you will have out a unit that comes with the camera and also does not need to me switched to nav mode for the camera?
Correct. I have a prototype built and to a great extent working. Integrating fully with the car is difficult to do (the goal is to make it easy to install though), and preparing for production takes time. I am working through the issues, and will not sell it until it is ready for prime time.

As those who waited for my X150 Smartkey remote top know, it took almost 2 years, but I kept my word and delivered.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-20-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

'delivered' is almost and understatement, the remote top control is an exceptional product, well worth the wait I'm sure (fortunately I didn't have to wait, it was available before I purchased my car, and I actually bought one before my car was delivered!).

Old 06-20-2015, 10:17 AM

Correct. I have a prototype built and to a great extent working. Integrating fully with the car is difficult to do (the goal is to make it easy to install though), and preparing for production takes time. I am working through the issues, and will not sell it until it is ready for prime time.

As those who waited for my X150 Smartkey remote top know, it took almost 2 years, but I kept my word and delivered.

excellent. I may wait for that. question...is there anyway to fit an aftermarket head unit with the exact same screen size (obviously), but be able to have all of the same functions that the factory unit have?

Old 06-20-2015, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member

..is there anyway to fit an aftermarket head unit with the exact same screen size (obviously), but be able to have all of the same functions that the factory unit have?
Not practically, because so many functions specific to the vehicle are integrated into the touch screen.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:49 PM

Not practically, because so many functions specific to the vehicle are integrated into the touch screen.

right. I haven't even seen my car in person yet and I have not used the jag touch screen. what other than the stereo and nav are controlled from it? tnx.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I have a strong suggestion for those of you who want a backup camera. If you can manage a wait of a few months DO IT!! I have a remote top controller engineered and built by Steve of The jagwrangler.com. I cannot speak highly enough of his engineering and manufacturing prowess. In addition to putting out a terrific product, he is a genuinely good guy and a pleasure to business with.

If you your new XK(s) are convertibles his remote top and rear window controller is also a terrific add-on.

Lastly welcome to the XK world and the forum. Both the car and the forum will give you much pleasure and the forum is a font of information.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (06-20-2015)
Old 06-20-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ralphwg
I have a strong suggestion for those of you who want a backup camera. If you can manage a wait of a few months DO IT!! I have a remote top controller engineered and built by Steve of The jagwrangler.com. I cannot speak highly enough of his engineering and manufacturing prowess. In addition to putting out a terrific product, he is a genuinely good guy and a pleasure to business with.

If you your new XK(s) are convertibles his remote top and rear window controller is also a terrific add-on.

Lastly welcome to the XK world and the forum. Both the car and the forum will give you much pleasure and the forum is a font of information.
think i'm going to wait!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:06 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Aftermarket backup cam able to be hooked up?

right. I haven't even seen my car in person yet and I have not used the jag touch screen. what other than the stereo and nav are controlled from it? tnx.
Lots of stuff. Climate control, clock, trip odometer, alarm security settings, telephone, probably more.

You must be getting excited!

The following users liked this post:
multistrada74 (06-20-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

I'm waiting too!
Also, waiting for the Mina Gallery rear seat-delete and tonneau kits. Am planning on installing my remote top, and new Rear backup kits, together with the other kits in one long winter. Thanks Steve for your perseverance.
Happy Trails............

Old 06-22-2015, 05:53 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

I definitely want Steve's back up cam setup. Impatiently waiting LOL!