XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Another Article about the end of the XK

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts
Default Another Article about the end of the XK

Jaguar XK Production Ending With No Replacement In Sight » AutoGuide.com News

Almost brings a tear to my eye, such a great car!

I suggest grabbing parts you may want. I had a really hard time getting interior pieces as some are already discontinued.

Last edited by MaximA; 03-08-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by MaximA
Jaguar XK Production Ending With No Replacement In Sight » AutoGuide.com News

Almost brings a tear to my eye, such a great car!

I suggest grabbing parts you may want. I had a really hard time getting interior pieces as some are already discontinued.

I remembered hearing that a manufacturer is required to supply parts to cars that have ceased production for a specific number of years post production.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Not all parts, for example I was looking for veneers and certain finishes were already discontinued. Had to find a dealer in the UK that had one in stock.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Surprised by the article when it says that the production of the coupe has ceased already. I thought that the 2015 model would be the end.

It is sad, it is one of the most beautiful cars on the road, period. In no way would the F-type replace it. If, however, no direct replacement is coming that gives potential for the XK series to become a lasting classic.

The following 2 users liked this post by axr6:
Lothar52 (03-09-2014), MaximA (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Dunno, but I see this news as making our cars even rarer! I'm pretty sure there are loads of parts in common with the XF and XFR, especially the mechanics, so I'm not overly worried regarding parts. Body parts would be a different matter, though!

Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Still selling here in the UK - and, as far as I know, they've always been made to order, so (presumably) the production line is still running.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

It would be great if the XK could follow in the same path as the Honda S2000. Once production stopped, the car still continued to depreciate to a particular point and then stopped. If they haven't already, they will be appreciating. Wishful thinking for the XK!

Old 03-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
It would be great if the XK could follow in the same path as the Honda S2000. Once production stopped, the car still continued to depreciate to a particular point and then stopped. If they haven't already, they will be appreciating. Wishful thinking for the XK!
The XK/XKR/XKR-S won't be worth much.

So sad to see this great model gone.

We need to enjoy what we all own, and remember in reality...it is just a fine automobile.

Future value is now immaterial.

Last edited by richzak; 03-08-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Makes me appreciate the fact I got a chance to own such a amazing car even more.

Still, my past is littered with cars that were not appreciated in their day.
I still own several (most not running...sigh....), like my Mitsubishi Galant VR-4, a sleeper that in 1991 could eat most Rustangs of the day.
The aggressive lines of my '88 Mitsubishi Starion still have folks asking what it is, cause it looks so cool.
Even my '82 Yamaha 650 Turbo had folks wondering if it was the new BMW before I finished replicating the decals for it.

Having something different than the Jones next door has always been a big draw for me....

Vince

Old 03-08-2014, 10:05 PM
Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
Default What did u expect

I m not surprised it is going away. The car wasnt marketed right in my opinion.

It was never marketed toward young professional women or young guys looking for a thrill and an adventure.

The, "i lost my dentures" or the "My prostate exploded" crowd were the only folks who bought this vehicle.

I bought it cause it is a beast that I got a great deal on and cause I could modify it easier than a porshce. I cant get enough of my 2013 xkr ragtop.

Blame its demise on the factory and goofballs like Liza Barth

The following 2 users liked this post by SoCal Babe:
MaximA (03-09-2014), richzak (03-08-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SoCal Babe
The, "i lost my dentures" or the "My prostate exploded" crowd were the only folks who bought this vehicle.

Not true (I still have me own gnashers and an intact prostate), but feckin' funny…

Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Future value is now immaterial.
That's always been the case for me, since I keep my cars a long time. I bought my XK8 in 2000 for £32.5k and sold it last year for £4.5k - adjusting for inflation, that's a 90% depreciation. But I didn't buy it as an investment; I got my money's worth by using it.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Coming from the vintage sports car crowd I don't think this would be a problem in obtaining parts. I've spent many hours searching for parts and have mostly been successful in finding them. I believe this will be the same for the XK through the years. I also see a start of a cottage industry with 3D printing that has filled the void for unobtainable parts and as the technology evolves parts replication will become simpler. As for the car itself it will still continue to be enjoyed for a long time so you can either preserve it and enjoy it or move on to the newer generation of Jaguars coming out. Just look at the history and it is a snapshot of the future. Just my thoughts here.

MaximA (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

It was never marketed toward young professional women or young guys looking for a thrill and an adventure.

I bought it because it is a beast that I got a great deal on and cause I could modify it easier than a porsche. I can't get enough of my 2013 xkr ragtop.

The cars been marketed horribly. At the time I bought my car I was TOTALLY unaware Jaguar had a 510HP GT car.. I couldn't figure out what I wanted and was going to settle for base P Car or wait for a RS7. Luckily my friend just purchased a F-Type and picked me up on the way to the dealer. Otherwise I would have never even looked at the XKR

Last edited by MaximA; 03-09-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Lothar52 (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Coming from the vintage sports car crowd I don't think this would be a problem in obtaining parts. I've spent many hours searching for parts and have mostly been successful in finding them. I believe this will be the same for the XK through the years. I also see a start of a cottage industry with 3D printing that has filled the void for unobtainable parts and as the technology evolves parts replication will become simpler. As for the car itself it will still continue to be enjoyed for a long time so you can either preserve it and enjoy it or move on to the newer generation of Jaguars coming out. Just look at the history and it is a snapshot of the future. Just my thoughts here.
Jagtoes:

With this news on the XK/XKR/XKR-S going into extinction, are you still going to be on the hunt for that elusive 2012 XKR convert that you were seeking?

Or

Have your thoughts changed about owning one of these Jaguar models?

Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 AM
Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought it cause it is a beast that I got a great deal on and cause I could modify it easier than a porshce. I cant get enough of my 2013 xkr ragtop.

Sorry but as a prostrate cancer survivor I don't find this post funny, but I do have my teeth. With a gleason score of "8" the cancer was pretty damn serious, and it was a tough time in my life - bought my new XK when I completed treatment. As an older Jaguar owner it's kind of insulting as there are a lot of us that purchased these cars despite the poor reliability reputation and quirks even buying a lot of them new. The failing nikasil cylinder linings and tensioners in the early 4.0L V8s that made some of them "boat anchors" does not instill a lot of faith in the brand for many car purchasers. Not only did we put up with this, we bought more when could have afforded the more popular alternatives from Mercedes, Porsche, BMW, etc. However I wanted something different. There might not even be a Jaguar today if it wasn't for us. A friend of mine and a Jaguar owner/enthusiast since he bought an E-Type when he was in college passed away this week from brain cancer so pardon me again if I take offense to this post.

I never saw that the XKs and XK8s did not appeal to the younger people. They loved them - a lot even thought they were Aston-Martins. They just could not afford them.

Last edited by v8cat; 03-10-2014 at 09:00 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by v8cat:
07XKJaguar (03-12-2014), Lothar52 (03-09-2014), MaximA (03-09-2014), Mike V (03-09-2014), ralphwg (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

Many of the youth today are interested in Infiniti and Nissan sportscars because of the cost...I was one of them... Then I started making a wee bit more dough and realized that there is a difference!!!!

Loth

My 65 yr old father now has a nice free G37 coupe haha. He does love it!

This brings up a good point. When these cars depreciate enough - will the youth take them and start tinkering with them?!? Still..I cant see a used one going for less thatn 35k - they'd prolly want a new G anyway. Oh well..more for us!!

Cant wait for a 50k XKR-S Convertible to pop up!!!!! YEEHAW@!!

Last edited by Lothar52; 03-09-2014 at 09:41 AM.
MaximA (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Jagtoes:

With this news on the XK/XKR/XKR-S going into extinction, are you still going to be on the hunt for that elusive 2012 XKR convert that you were seeking?

Or

Have your thoughts changed about owning one of these Jaguar models?
Nope I am still looking although I am disappointed with the ones available. What is starting to change is my thoughts that there are different colors other then Black , Silver , Gray or White. Out of these colors White is out but I'll need to see in person the other colors. Then again maybe some who presently own will be influenced to sell now that the model will not be produced. Funny thing is even 2010-2011 don't seem to be other colors then the 4 above. The hunt continues.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Nope I am still looking although I am disappointed with the ones available. What is starting to change is my thoughts that there are different colors other then Black , Silver , Gray or White. Out of these colors White is out but I'll need to see in person the other colors. Then again maybe some who presently own will be influenced to sell now that the model will not be produced. Funny thing is even 2010-2011 don't seem to be other colors then the 4 above. The hunt continues.
See my post #162 here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-107896/page9/

It provides a listing of colors and interiors and the percentage made of each. The combination that you are seeking may take years to find.

I think this info provided on post #162 willbe very helpful in any search.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

See my post #162 here:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-107896/page9/

It provides a listing of colors and interiors and the percentage made of each. The combination that you are seeking may take years to find.

I think this info provided on post #162 willbe very helpful in any search.

Yep it is reflective of what I am seeing in the used market. It seems Black was the favorite color . That may be my default if i can't find something in the next few months.

Quick Reply: Another Article about the end of the XK