XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anybody know what this engine sound is?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

You still need to do what I recommend earlier, if you are looking for some relief on the costs.
Pull every single record you can find its vital.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You may get away with changing the timing chain, tensioner, guides and vvt. (all of which would be due someday anyway) and pray the metal flakes were from the chain slapping the shroud.
Categorically disagree. There is no coming back from "large metal flake in oil". That metal is crankshaft bearings that now went through entire engine. OP has less than 100km until engine ceases and the noise is very likely a spun bearing.

We also don't need to guess what killed the engine. OP drove home on overheating engine.

Originally Posted by heuristik
I took the car for a test drive, and had no issues. On the way home after purchasing the vehicle, the A/C started blowing hot and then a warning came up saying the car was about to overheat. I pulled over, tried calling the dealer but they were closed. Limped another 5 miles home, with the warning coming up at stop lights. The dealership had it towed the next morning.
This repeated overheating cooked the oil and done all kinds of internal damage. It is surprising that it took so long for the engine to die. If your car is overheating, you can't keep driving it and expect it will be A-OK.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Categorically disagree. There is no coming back from "large metal flake in oil". That metal is crankshaft bearings that now went through entire engine. OP has less than 100km until engine ceases and the noise is very likely a spun bearing.

We also don't need to guess what killed the engine. OP drove home on overheating engine.

This repeated overheating cooked the oil and done all kinds of internal damage. It is surprising that it took so long for the engine to die. If your car is overheating, you can't keep driving it and expect it will be A-OK.
You are very wrong on this one.
The Jaguar mechanic nailed it, "extreme" slack on the TC. You dont get that with overheating. Moreover, many people have done the same thing with overheating and not had any lasting problem.

The overheating and this problem are completely unrelated.
And the proof is right in front of you. A very through mechanic went over it and found no damage related to overheating. He did find a ton of damage related to slack in chain.

We dont know what the metal in the oil was. I agree that it is usually very bad. But can easily be found by taking the TC cover off, if there is metal missing there, you found the culprit.

I will concede this. It is possible that the previous owner drove around with it overheating on more than one occasion. However it still does not explain the slack in the chain. Bad oil and accelerated wear does.

NOTE: he does not have an engine running problem, as you would get with a cooked engine, he has a noise problem, as you get with jumped time and TC slack.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 03-19-2019 at 11:24 AM. Reason: concession
Old 03-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Well, time will tell. However, I propose a wager. If I am correct, and this is bearing metal, then you get to wear "F-type is better than my 2010 XKR Coupe in every way" signature for a month. If reverse is true, you can pick similar signature for me. Deal?

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
MarkyUK (03-19-2019), TexasTraveler (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Deal. But this is what I want your signature to say: "Somewhere between the rationality of a Ferrari and a Lexus is a Jaguar, the ideal balance"

SinF (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

Deal. But this is what I want your signature to say: "Somewhere between the rationality of a Ferrari and a Lexus is a Jaguar, the ideal balance"
priceless!!

Old 03-19-2019, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

I've had questions on this since I will readily admit I am not familiar with the ins and outs of the 5.0. I've seen it posted on here that the 5.0 cannot be rebuilt. Is it prohibitively expensive ala Nikasil/Alusil deposited liners needed to be redone? Is it steel liners and parts are just not available? Jaguar doesn't offer rebuilds and prefers a new motor to shove in? I am curious.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 80sRule
I've had questions on this since I will readily admit I am not familiar with the ins and outs of the 5.0. I've seen it posted on here that the 5.0 cannot be rebuilt. Is it prohibitively expensive ala Nikasil/Alusil deposited liners needed to be redone? Is it steel liners and parts are just not available? Jaguar doesn't offer rebuilds and prefers a new motor to shove in? I am curious.
Critical tolerances and/or why unavailability of parts.

Originally Posted by Kongo1
How many miles were on the car when you originally purchased it?
You taking names I hope. Of all those on this forum who told you there is no difference between a new high mileage car and an old low mileage car.
Well look here, one difference is that you better pray the guy putting the 75,000 miles was not some curmudgeon who believed all oil of the same viscosity is the same.
As if that was not enough risk differential to make the old car with low miles a no-brainier, the cost of correcting your mistake on the new one is 3 times as much!!

Old 03-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

The same thing would have happened with 1,000 mile or 1,000,000 mile engine if you drive it home once it starts overheating.

The only way to survive this is to immediately pull over and get it towed. Old cast iron block and heads could survive overheating, modern aluminum engines do not.

Last edited by SinF; 03-20-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

Sin,
The current owner did not do this to the car. (I like victim-blaming as much as the next guy)
If he did he would have had warped heads, melted spark plug boots.
No way- just no way, can you get "extreme slack" in TC in 5months/4000 miles.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 671 Likes on 334 Posts

Sin,
The current owner did not do this to the car. (I like victim-blaming as much as the next guy)
If he did he would have had warped heads, melted spark plug boots.
No way- just no way, can you get "extreme slack" in TC in 5months/4000 miles.
What does this mean to you?

OP "warning came up saying the car was about to overheat. I pulled over, tried calling the dealer but they were closed. Limped another 5 miles home, with the warning coming up at stop lights"

It sounds like he continued to drive for 5 miles while the car was giving warnings of overheating, NO?

The following 2 users liked this post by TexasTraveler:
Cee Jay (03-20-2019), SinF (03-20-2019)
Old 03-20-2019, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TexasTraveler

It sounds like he continued to drive for 5 miles while the car was giving warnings of overheating, NO?
No big deal, this does not cause the damage he has or any damage, many have done it- in the desert no less!
And the damage it could cause was not found.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:48 AM
Received 111 Likes on 60 Posts

So sorry for your misfortune! If you decide to part the car out, I'm interested. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

That sounds like rod knock to me, especially given the low oil level. I suspect you've suffered exactly the same fate as I did with my 2010 XF Supercharged, where the engine oil level got too low (without dash warning) and spun at least one connecting rod bearing. My suspicion as to what caused my engine failure - and yours, given the tech's notes - is the design flaw in the early timing chain guides where the metal backing was too soft and a hole was worn into the back by the tensioner pin over time, reducing chain tension significantly.

In my engine the chain tension was reduced enough that the chains rattled around in the front of the block and rubbed against various aluminum parts such as the webbing on the block casting - I posted pictures of this here - which likely caused tiny metal particles in my oil and eventually contributed to my engine's failure.

As I've detailed in the rebuild thread of my engine, it's possible, but not cheap or easy, to rebuild these engines.

Queen and Country (03-27-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davetibbs
My suspicion as to what caused my engine failure - and yours, given the tech's notes - is the design flaw in the early timing chain guides where the metal backing was too soft and a hole was worn into the back by the tensioner pin over time, reducing chain tension significantly.

In my engine the chain tension was reduced enough that the chains rattled around in the front of the block and rubbed against various aluminum parts such as the webbing on the block casting
This is why I mentioned to OP I might be able to point him to some relief.

But we havent heard from him.

Old 03-27-2019, 05:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you davetibbs. Your assessment looks spot on.

At the advice of Queen and Country, I made nice with the Jaguar Dealership. Their service guys were helpful enough to provide me with the service records on the car's original visit after it overheated. Lo and behold, not only did the Jaguar Service guys specifically call out the oil level as "CRITICAL - NEEDS IMMEDIATE ATTENTION," the suspension, engine, and cooling were also flagged as needing immediate repair. And here's the kicker: according to the Service ticket, all repairs were declined. So, the independent dealer not only failed to inform me of the car's condition, thereby endangering me and my family, they also lied about having the car repaired by Jaguar (and perhaps about being repaired, period.) My legal team has since been in contact with the independent dealer and discussions are underway for an appropriate resolution.

On a positive note, I just signed the paperwork on a 2014 f-type, with an extended warranty. After even just a short time with the XKR, it seemed like the most logical next choice.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 469 Likes on 279 Posts

At the advice of Queen and Country, I made nice with the Jaguar Dealership. Their service guys were helpful enough to provide me with the service records on the car's original visit after it overheated. Lo and behold, not only did the Jaguar Service guys specifically call out the oil level as "CRITICAL - NEEDS IMMEDIATE ATTENTION," the suspension, engine, and cooling were also flagged as needing immediate repair. And here's the kicker: according to the Service ticket, all repairs were declined. So, the independent dealer not only failed to inform me of the car's condition, thereby endangering me and my family, they also lied about having the car repaired by Jaguar (and perhaps about being repaired, period.) My legal team has since been in contact with the independent dealer and discussions are underway for an appropriate resolution.
Excellent! Sounds like Q&C's advice really paid off for you, and you sound in much better shape than I was when my engine lunched itself.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

On a positive note....
Good show and well played! Its your disposition that saved you and will continue to. Great choice on the Ftype.

There is no enterprise as unethical as used car sales. They will lie when they dont have to, such as telling you this belonged to someone at the Jaguar dealership.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

@heuristik

Do you know what engine mode of failure was? Asking for a friend in need of a new signature.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

On a positive note, I just signed the paperwork on a 2014 f-type, with an extended warranty.
Couple things to know about F-type. It is the same engine that blew up on you in XKR, they can't be overheated or run low on oil.

a) Early F-type (just like all XKRs) your being one of them, have problematic water pump and plastic coolant pipes. I recommend you get it inspected, and don't count on CPO or dealer to do that for you. There are no trivial coolant leaks with these engines, and do not keep driving if the car ever tells you it is overheating.

b) F-type (just like XKRs) will not warn you about low oil condition. Unless you have definitive record of oil getting changed recently, change oil and stay to below recommended oil change interval. F-type also take special oil that is not widely available, so do not take it to just any quick oil change place, as they won't have correct oil.

c) If dealership start talking to you about O2 sensor recall, don't do it. It will make your car much quieter.

Quick Reply: Anybody know what this engine sound is?