XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ATTN: Dealers. Paint swirl installation?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:52 AM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts
Default ATTN: Dealers. Paint swirl installation?!

If you value your paints finish, make sure you tell your dealership you do not want your car washed after service. Tell them you want done what you've asked for ONLY. If they want to do anything else, call for approval.

Rant/

Background. I recently purchased a black Jag. Love it however the paint needed some TLC. Improper washing of a black car will lead to fine scratches in the paint. I had been waiting for a cool overcast day to wash/machine polish/paint seal/wash the car. I finally had that day 2 days ago. I wasted 6 hours of my life. I washed it. Cracked out my commercial buffer and with multiple passes got all the fine scratches out of the paint. I then sealed the paint with Wolfgang paint sealer. I then washed it AGAIN. It was now flawless. I drove the car around the block and in the garage it went. The next day I take my car to the dealer and I ask for some minor work. Dry sunny day. I came to pick up my car and it had water spots all over it and the paint was all scratched up! They told me they washed the car. DID I ASK FOR THAT? NO!!! Did you tell me you were going to do that? NO! Do you wash and dry a black car in the sun? NO! The paint gets soft and it scratches easily, DUH. Why would I want some minimum wage amateur washing my (new) $92,000 dollar car with a bucket of soap filled with grit from the previous 10 filthy cars? "Sorry" was all I got. (I actually felt bad for the service writer, nice person) Six hours of my life. GONE.

Overall this is a great dealership. Nice people. Great reputation. Since I will be bringing my vehicle there in the future I can't push this any farther than this, which is frustrating for now. The level of detail I did would have cost at least $400-$600 dollars. From doing the detail my back hurts, my finger are sore and I lost a day off. Now I have to do it all over again.

Never wash a black car if the paint is warm. It must be cool and shady.
Use the two bucket method. Always.
Back pack blowers work great for a rough dry, finish with microfiber cloth.
Never, ever use a car wash. Never. Ever.

If any dealerships read this. Do what your CUSTOMER asks for. You know, the one that feeds you? Feel free to offer, but inform BEFORE you do we didn't ask for.

This is why the public distrusts dealers.

/rant

Last edited by flyc2c; 03-12-2014 at 09:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by flyc2c:
JimC64 (03-12-2014), MaximA (03-12-2014), SWT (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree. My ultimate black coupe looks horrible after every dealer visit... It's clean, but there are always light scratches everywhere! I have learned to ask them to not wash the car when I take it in.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I don't want the dealership to wash my cars either. Vacuum yes, wash no.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:56 AM
SWT
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

flyc2c: Thanks for some interesting information. I just bought a 2008 red (radiance) XK. When the car was delivered, I found a few scratches and some paint swirls on it. Could you give a detailed version of how you got the swirls and scratches out of your paint? I'm especially interested in the Wolfgang paint sealer. Is that like a clear coat of some sort?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 03-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I put a big piece of tape on the steering wheel that says "NO WASH".

Old 03-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Funny this should be bought up. I recently had the condenser on my xkr replaced. The dealer rang to say the car would be ready for collection once they do a wash and vac on it. I immediately said no!!.. DO NOT DO THAT I spent hours putting on a good wax protection. Didn't want it ruined by the harsh chemicals they use to wash the cars. They were quite surprised when I asked them to leave it. Neadless to say I drove round straight away to collect it....just incase...lol

Old 03-12-2014, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I put a big piece of tape on the steering wheel that says "NO WASH".
I did that and they still washed it... My detailer almost killed me.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I can appreciate and sympathise with all of the above.....

I sed to say to my Audi dealer service manager "DO NOT WASH THE CAR" to which he nooded and agreed. I then asked him to make doubly sure that they "DON'T WASH MY CAR" and also to make a note of it on the paperwork, so just to be clear.......DO NOT WASH!!

As added backup I used to leave 2-3 pieces of A4 paper o nthe passenger floorwell / seat and the drivers seat, with "DO NOT WASH!!" in BIG BLACK BOLD letters.

Funnily enough after that, they ddn't wash it again...lol

Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by SWT
flyc2c: Thanks for some interesting information. I just bought a 2008 red (radiance) XK. When the car was delivered, I found a few scratches and some paint swirls on it. Could you give a detailed version of how you got the swirls and scratches out of your paint? I'm especially interested in the Wolfgang paint sealer. Is that like a clear coat of some sort?

Thanks,

Steve
Depends on level of damage. Shallow: McGuires "step 2" polish or Wolfgang swirl remover. A little deeper: 3M Microfine machine polish followed by "step 2"/swirl remover. 3M/Wolfgang swirl remover is best applied with a commercial buffer and can damage the paint quiet easily. Always start with the finest and work your way up the coarse scale until your scratches disappear. Pad choice is important too, stick with foam for safety. Once you find what works you have to buff your car with each "step" of fineness back to "step 2"/swirl remover. Followed by some type of wax or sealer.

Here's the stuff I use:

Wolfgang Car Care Products, Paint Sealant, Best Paint Sealant, Synthetic Wax, Car Wax

Swear by it.

Last edited by flyc2c; 03-13-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:33 AM
SWT
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

flyc2c: Thanks, greatly appreciated. Will also post signs all over my Jag indicating NO WASH, should I have to take it to the shop.

Steve

Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by SWT
flyc2c: Thanks, greatly appreciated. Will also post signs all over my Jag indicating NO WASH, should I have to take it to the shop.

Steve
Steve:

Garcia Jaguar was a really cheap old car wash located outside in the back of the service area. I also suggest that Garcia does NOT wash your car.

If you get the swirls out, (I use Meguairs products) I highly suggest a ceramic paint coating like Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating......

See my post ....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/d...review-112622/

The results are fantastic.

The following users liked this post:
SWT (03-15-2014)