XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Backup Camera Retrofit: Pre-2012 XK Models

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 10:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please add me to the list of folks you contact when available.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:42 AM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Backup camera

For all those contemplating fitting a Backup Camera remember the end result, ie, seeing whats behind you depends on the image you get on the TSD. On my 2013my XK under certain ambient lighting condions this can be virtually zero, as reported in one of my earlier posts.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Yeah guys, I liked the sonar-like beeping that my '04 XJ-R made when backing up. Although not having a rear camera, the tone change from, "not a problem" to "stop now" idiot, was most helpful. LOL!

Old 04-29-2015, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,189 Likes on 900 Posts

The standard rearview camera setup also gives you an audible warning when you get close to an obstruction. It starts beeping slowly and speeds up as you get closer and finally the warning is constant when you are within a couple of feet of the obstruction.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,381 Likes on 1,608 Posts
Default perhaps an even easier solution?

Guys, I believe there is a much better way. A way that makes current backup monitors totally redundant and old fashioned.

A way that solves several other bigger problems on the XK.

Lets look at the situation holistically- which is the British way. The screen doesnt have good resolution, nor contrast, meaning low-light images will not look good, forward view is a bigger problem than rear, owing to the long nose. In the interest of ergonomics and mainstream acceptance, many essential gauges were omitted, such as temperature.

You can have a forward camera, rear camera, and full spectrum of gauges and make this the spy hunter car it was intended to be. here is how, the ashtray on the 2010 up XK/XKR perfectly fits a Samsung Galaxy 6/5/4/2. It lays flat securely even through hard cornering. You can buy a stand so that you have more vertical view of it, however, its no more trouble to look down at a screen when in a tight blind spot than it is to try and peer over the back window. Now for the cameras, you can buy wifi cameras or add a $40 wifi module to a regular camera. This will allow you to get video of the front or the back on your phone screen, which has a much better viewing angle and resolution.

Pessimists will point out that its not automatic and there are other inconveniences. However, please consider that a car like an XKR makes certain assumptions; that you are a very competent driver, one that can back a car up just with side view mirrors. Or as the English would say, Jaguar's top cat is not a privilege for those who have just mastered driving, rather those firmly in command of it. So a few seconds it takes for the extra steps in rare instances should not be a bother.

the vehicle information that one gets from adding odb2 adapter to the same screen is indispensable to the same type of driver. then there is the ability to use it as a music storage, and hands-free phone via cars bluetooth.

p.s. the new Xaiomi mi4i phone also fits and it purportedly has a screen that can be viewed in direct sunlight.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Guys, I believe there is a much better way. A way that makes current backup monitors totally redundant and old fashioned.

Lets look at the situation holistically- which is the British way. The screen doesnt have good resolution, nor contrast, meaning low-light images will not look good, forward view is a bigger problem than rear, owing to the long nose. In the interest of ergonomics and mainstream acceptance, many essential gauges were omitted, such as temperature.

You can have a forward camera, rear camera, and full spectrum of gauges and make this the spy hunter car it was intended to be. here is how, the ashtray on the 2010 up XK/XKR perfectly fits a Samsung Galaxy 6/5/4/2. It lays flat securely even through hard cornering. You can buy a stand so that you have more vertical view of it, however, its no more trouble to look down at a screen when in a tight blind spot than it is to try and peer over the back window. Now for the cameras, you can buy wifi cameras or add a $40 wifi module to a regular camera. This will allow you to get video of the front or the back on your phone screen, which has a much better viewing angle and resolution.

Pessimists will point out that its not automatic and there are other inconveniences. However, please consider that a car like an XKR makes certain assumptions; that you are a very competent driver, one that can back a car up just with side view mirrors. Or as the English would say, Jaguar's top cat is not a privilege for those who have just mastered driving, rather those firmly in command of it. So a few seconds it takes for the extra steps in rare instances should not be a bother.

the vehicle information that one gets from adding odb2 adapter to the same screen is indispensable to the same type of driver. then there is the ability to use it as a music storage, and hands-free phone via cars bluetooth.

p.s. the new Xaiomi mi4i phone also fits and it purportedly has a screen that can be viewed in direct sunlight.
I don't think this would work with my Samsung flip phone.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:44 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

So the problem then becomes -- and I'm not nay-saying your idea here, just sharing my experience -- that I've got five too many things going on on my phone already. It controls my music. It is the interface for my built-in radar detector. It tends to ring or receive a text just when I'm trying to do anything important. It's just not as convenient as it makes itself out to be.

Oh, by the way, it does dock in the ash tray space. That works well.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
So the problem then becomes -- and I'm not nay-saying your idea here, just sharing my experience -- that I've got five too many things going on on my phone already. It controls my music. It is the interface for my built-in radar detector. It tends to ring or receive a text just when I'm trying to do anything important. It's just not as convenient as it makes itself out to be.

Oh, by the way, it does dock in the ash tray space. That works well.
Thats why I suggest just getting a dedicated unit for the Jag. You dont have to use any of the other functions. Think of it just as buying it just for a screen, its the only screen that will fit in your car without cutting anything, and it has higher resolution than any other screen you can buy, at any price. The main reason however is that it has wifi built in, and a damn good one. Did i mention its much brighter than anything else you can buy. You can get a unlocked one for less than a $100 on ebay.

The British design school of thought is ' opt for something based on what you will get out of it, be damned the downsides' that's why we use glove soft leathers and the Deutschlanders have historically used utilitarian hard plastic like leather that never gave a moments joy, but lasted a thousand years.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

anything on the reverse camera yet

Old 09-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 877 Posts

Thats why I suggest just getting a dedicated unit for the Jag. You dont have to use any of the other functions. Think of it just as buying it just for a screen, its the only screen that will fit in your car without cutting anything, and it has higher resolution than any other screen you can buy, at any price. The main reason however is that it has wifi built in, and a damn good one. Did i mention its much brighter than anything else you can buy. You can get a unlocked one for less than a $100 on ebay.

The British design school of thought is ' opt for something based on what you will get out of it, be damned the downsides' that's why we use glove soft leathers and the Deutschlanders have historically used utilitarian hard plastic like leather that never gave a moments joy, but lasted a thousand years.
Are you able to post a picture of how it all looks? Sounds promising.

Personally though I've never really thought that the XK needs a reverse camera. You cant do without them in the XF which has a much higher boot, but I see plenty out of the back of the XKR because it is lower, and in any event it makes such a rumble everyone scatters.

Old 09-05-2015, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,123 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
...it makes such a rumble everyone scatters.
Low bollards and planters don't. I'm not worried about pedestrians, it's the street furniture that's my concern. The parking sensors are pretty good, though.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Alright Mates here is how you turn your car into a Bond car.
I realized that my earlier suggestion may have been a little too cumbersome for most, this anyone can do.
Garmin sells WIRELESS backup cameras- this manufacturer only puts out good products that are reliable and easy to use. Better yet, they supply a good way of viewing the image; their GPS devices, which have very high brightness and great resolution (much like the cell phone suggestion earlier). But it gets even better- you can use 4 cameras simultaneously. Again the only real problem I have had with the XKR is the low and long nose running into curbs. Now you can have front vision and rear.
The hookup is easy, just wire it to the reverse light power, or parking lights. The gps screen may not fit in the ashtray as a cell phone does, however, go to an upholstery shop and have them make you a little enclosure in leather (matching your car) that will allow the screen to nest in the ashtray compartment.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 09-21-2015 at 01:10 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 09-21-2015, 02:44 PM
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Alright Mates here is how you turn your car into a Bond car.
I realized that my earlier suggestion may have been a little too cumbersome for most, this anyone can do.
Garmin sells WIRELESS backup cameras- this manufacturer only puts out good products that are reliable and easy to use. Better yet, they supply a good way of viewing the image; their GPS devices, which have very high brightness and great resolution (much like the cell phone suggestion earlier). But it gets even better- you can use 4 cameras simultaneously. Again the only real problem I have had with the XKR is the low and long nose running into curbs. Now you can have front vision and rear.
The hookup is easy, just wire it to the reverse light power, or parking lights. The gps screen may not fit in the ashtray as a cell phone does, however, go to an upholstery shop and have them make you a little enclosure in leather (matching your car) that will allow the screen to nest in the ashtray compartment.
Part of the problem with the newer xk's is that the LED backup lights are not driven by a straight 12v signal. The car sends a pulsed signal which makes the cameras blink on and off.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only issue I see (bar the total cost) is it appears to still be a manual process.

ie. I would have to turn the garmin screen on and select an option to view the camera each time I go into reverse

Old 09-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,186 Likes on 3,106 Posts

I don't want to keep adding and adding things stuck all over the inside of my car. First off, why a Garmin? Seriously, the stock Sat Nav really isn't all that horrible if you Learn How To Use It! It is WAY better than the Sat Nav in the wife's Lexus, and since it's integrated into the instruments between the speedo and tach, you won't even have to look at the touch screen, as it displays lane-and-turn info and direction.
Way too many people say it is a horrible system, but it is really quite easy to use and very accurate and intuitive.
So, since any Garmin or TomTom add-on is superfluous and ridiculous, this camera idea is no good. Of course, some people probably like stuff stuck all over their dash, but I'm not one of those. So, carry on.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

I'm waiting on what "WhiteXKR" comes up with. An integral answer to a backup camera system.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,186 Likes on 3,106 Posts
Old 09-23-2015, 01:29 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Backup Camera Retrofit: Pre-2012 XK Models

Originally Posted by RedRider48
I'm waiting on what "WhiteXKR" comes up with. An integral answer to a backup camera system.
Every time this thread pops up on my subscription feed I keep thinking, "Is it ready?" But it's only you guys...

Old 09-23-2015, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Every time this thread pops up on my subscription feed I keep thinking, "Is it ready?" But it's only you guys...
Yeah, we're still babbling on 'bout it.....

Old 09-23-2015, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I don't want to keep adding and adding things stuck all over the inside of my car. First off, why a Garmin? Seriously, the stock Sat Nav really isn't all that horrible if you Learn How To Use It! It is WAY better than the Sat Nav in the wife's Lexus, and since it's integrated into the instruments between the speedo and tach, you won't even have to look at the touch screen, as it displays lane-and-turn info and direction.
Way too many people say it is a horrible system, but it is really quite easy to use and very accurate and intuitive.
So, since any Garmin or TomTom add-on is superfluous and ridiculous, this camera idea is no good. Of course, some people probably like stuff stuck all over their dash, but I'm not one of those. So, carry on.
You misread and misunderstood. This aint about GPS and it aint about putting something on the dash. Just the opposite. This is about not butchering stock screen. This is about being able to put a small screen in the ashtray. To use when you get into a tight spot, either backing up or looking forward with a front camera. To that end garmin makes a great screen with an excellent backup camera. I bought my car for the interior/coachmanship and would not alter it even with an air freshener.

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Retrofit: Pre-2012 XK Models