Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Backup Camera Retrofit: Pre-2012 XK Models

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts
Default Backup Camera Retrofit: Pre-2012 XK Models

The 2012 XK Brochure (USA) states: "New for 2012 is a standard Reverse Park Camera with Guidance that provides a video display on the Touch-screen, along with a variable audio warning to alert the driver to the proximity of objects both in front of and behind the car."

My 2009 has both front and rear parking sensors, with distance displayed on the Touch-screen like the 2012 model. I'd like to add the 2012 backup camera, if possible, provided the cost to do so is within reason.

Does anyone know anything about the factory XK 2012 backup camera module/camera/wiring harness? Can they be retrofitted to the 2007-2011 models?

Has anyone installed this unit from Nav Video? If so, your comments...
Jaguar XK TV Nav Video Input Interface. Connect a DVD Player, TV Tuner, Reverse Backup Video Camera, iPod Video, Aftermarket Navigation, VGA Car PC Or Other AV Source To Your Car's OEM GPS Navigation Headunit - LCD Screen Display - Nav System.

Or this one from NavTool?If so, your comments... JAGUAR XK-TYPE 2007-2010 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

I would wonder if putting the video in the rear view mirror might not be easier. I've seen a couple aftermarket mirrors like that.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I checked with Navtool about their device. They say you must manually select the nav screen prior to the camera being displayed. Also they say you must manually deselect the backup sensor display before you can see the camera display. In my opinion this is a lot of manual intervention every time you put the car in reverse. I'm not totally satisfied with this response but I don't want spend $500+ dollars to experiment. Has anyone actually installed this in a 2007+ XK?

Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sorapp
I checked with Navtool about their device. They say you must manually select the nav screen prior to the camera being displayed. Also they say you must manually deselect the backup sensor display before you can see the camera display. In my opinion this is a lot of manual intervention every time you put the car in reverse. I'm not totally satisfied with this response but I don't want spend $500+ dollars to experiment. Has anyone actually installed this in a 2007+ XK?
Good points! I agree - it defeats the purpose if you have to do anything manually other than shift in/out of reverse. NavTool = poor design.

I'll contact Dan at Nalley Roswell Jag Parts and see if he has anything yet about the 2012 components and if they can be retrofitted to earlier models.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

I was hopeful that it would be a simple matter to retrofit the 2012 backup camera, similar to the above aftermarket units, but that is not the case. Here's the email reply I received yesterday from Dan at Nalley Jag:
"Stuart, Jaguar doesn't support retrofitting (as in, there is zero information about whether the 2012 parts will work with a pre-2012 car), and honestly I'm not willing to be stuck with the parts should it not work!

I can give you a list of parts that are different from 2009 to 2012, but you're not going to like the answer. At minimum, body harness, dash harness, touchscreen, camera, camera wiring, trunk lid finisher... I'd say you're in for well over $5,000 just in parts. Makes turning your head over your shoulder sound like a better idea.

The aftermarket solutions work very well. Check out Gentex rearview mirrors - they have an invisible LCD display that only shows up when you put the car in reverse.

Thanks.

Dan"

The following users liked this post:
Andrey (02-09-2012)
Old 10-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

The MY12 Camaros are all being fitted with the LCD in the rearview mirror bit too -- from the factory. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to do something like that. If so, maybe the right way is to get the new OEM camera and mount for the back so it looks nice and just run it to one of the mirrors mentioned above.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello i am installing the nav system and when the system is on my oem system dose not show up

Old 08-14-2012, 08:22 AM

hello can you tell me what problems you might have had installaing the NAV system to your car?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Clarence Walton
hello i am installing the nav system and when the system is on my oem system dose not show up. Can you tell me what problems you might have had installaing the NAV system to your car?
Clarence,

I see you're a newbie, so welcome to the forum! What is the year and model of your car?

Which unit are you installing? Are you installing (1) the GVIF-07 Video Interface unit from Nav Video or (2)the Multimedia Interface unit from NAV TOOL? Both units are pictured in the first post in this thread.

You appear to be the first person on this forum to have installed either one of those units.

Based on what Sorapp said on 10-22-11, it appears that the way the NAV TOOL unit works is that you can manually select either one display or the other, but not both at the same time. Does the OEM display show up when you turn off the backup camera display?

If you're still having trouble with the installation, I suggest you call the manufacturer for advice. I doubt that anyone here can help you.

Please keep us informed. Good luck,

Stuart

Old 08-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Default Backup Camera Installed

I really missed the backup camera that came with my 2009 XF SC, so I had Dealer's Direct LLC in Las Vegas install the NAV video interface system with an Advent camera in my 2011 XKR (total cost with installation about $1,000).

I have to be in Nav mode, but as soon as I shift into reverse, I tap the screen once to display the camera. Shifting out of reverse reverts the screen back to Navigation. Not a perfect solution, but usable and I'm happy. I'll take pictures if anyone is interested.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi everybody.

I retrofitted a very similar system on my Audi A5 (similar to both, except that I don't have any remote), and this is how it works (I guess these 2 systems are very similar):

-there is a 12v input that activates the camera input. If you plug it to a rear bulb, the camera displays automatically when you go in reverse, and switch off when you go forward.
-I also have an OEM car park radars (front and back). If I add the camera, I still head the radar when in reverse (but I only see the camera). When I go forward, I see the radar display, until I reach 10km/h. So when I'm stopped, I can see both displays, just by changing the gear forward and backward. Very convenient!
-there are 3 other video displays. You can select them only in navigation:
- by pressing the small black button you see on the photo (or any other pressed buton you want)
- on (on my car) by pressing again the navigation button
-if you keep 3 video inputs, you must press 4 times on of these buttons to see the navigation again (GPS-->VID1-->VID2-->VID3-->GPS)
-but you can indicate to the video system (usig the dip switch) that you only use one (or 2!) input maximum. Then you only need to press twice one of these buttons to see the navigation again (GPS-->VID1-->GPS). If nothing is connected to vid1 at that moment, you get a black screen (not a blurry picture), so it's very clean.

I'm very happy with that system. So if I buy an xkr, I'll definitelly install exactly the same system, if I'm sure it works the same way.

Hope that this can help!

Last edited by pierbout; 10-24-2012 at 10:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (06-14-2015)
Old 10-24-2012, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Hmmm...does anyone know how the touchscreen display is driven? Is it a VGA interface? Or something proprietary with Jag?

If the touchscreen is driven by a standardized interface, seems like it should be possible to "tap" into the interface and display the camera output without interfering with any of the normal touchscreen associated functionality.

Anybody have any schematics for the touchscreen display?

Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

So I looked at the GVIF video interface, and according to the specs it states that it is possible to witch modes automatically with +5VDC on the I-DRV pin of the power cable.

If this is the case, you could set up the activation in this way:

*Have camera activated by voltage seen when the back-up LED's are energized...

*Have the display automatically interrupted with +5VDC on the I-DRV pin and the cameras display is automatically displayed on the screen without touching anything. This also requires the dip switch be set to only use 1 display input, so that it only has to toggle between one input and the original display signal. The +5VDC can be generated easily using the activation of the camera.

Once you are out of Reverse, the LED's turn off, disabling the camera, and the +5VDC disappear from the I-DRV pin and the display is returned to its previous signal/function.

Seems like this would work. I may try this. Will think about it.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rscultho
... I may try this. Will think about it.
Rodney,

I'm interested, too. If you decide to do this mod, perhaps other Atlanta area owners would also be interested. If so, maybe we can negotiate a discounted volume deal with a qualified installer. Just food for thought...

Stuart

p.s. Did I see your car yesterday parked in the garage of a doctors office building on Pill Hill?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Rodney,

I'm interested, too. If you decide to do this mod, perhaps other Atlanta area owners would also be interested. If so, maybe we can negotiate a discounted volume deal with a qualified installer. Just food for thought...

Stuart

p.s. Did I see your car yesterday parked in the garage of a doctors office building on Pill Hill?
Will keep this in mind...

Nope - wasn't me...

Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM

Has everyone missed a trick here?

I thought the reversing camera was an option... until 2012MY when it became standard.

So you'd not be looking for 2012MY parts and changing out half the car, but just the reversing camera for, say, a 2010 or 2009 vehicle.

I'd be very surprised if the display was any different.... but the loom for the camera might not exist. Anyone with a pre 2012MY know if there's any camera/video type leads lurking at the back of the car?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member

Ruffle,
I believe the reversing camera was never an option on 2007-2011 XK models, and became standard equipment in 2012. Retrofitting the 2012 camera to prior year models is prohibitively expensive. See my 10-24-11 post.

Stuart

Old 10-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Default Update...

Ok - so I traded emails with a guy named Tony at Nav Video. Their video interface connects to the video output of the Navigation unit in the trunk. I originally thought that when they referred to the "nav unit" I thought they really were referring to the computer driving the display.

I have no idea why they would develop a video interface in this way. It makes it impractical to use without significant manual intervention. So, yes, you first have to be in nav mode (which requires several manual steps), then when you switch into reverse you get the reverse sensor image, so then you have to tap the display to get the camera image. Then after switching back to drive you have to tap the display again to go back to normal display.

Not very practical in my opinion. If I can locate a schematic for the display input to the touch screen I might investigate creating a video interface that could be used such that the camera image could be displayed automatically as it should be.

The camera and its activation is a fairly simple challenge. The display is the big challenge.

So, there you have it.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I have installed the backup camera to a 2008 XK. It is quite a pain in having to be in nav mode & then turning off the park aid each time. The unit we used came from Navtv in Florida. The install is easier than splicing into RGB lines on the early cars & also nice to have 12 volts to the tail lamps.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The navtool page says:

"All our video interfaces come with 4 video input, video 1,2 and 3 is dedicated for any video source, video 4 is dedicated for back up camera. When you put your car in reverse screen you will automatically see reverse camera on your navigation screen (back-up camera over rides either DVD or navigation)"

So it's more expansive (and sold out!) but seems to work a more "logical" way...

Quick Reply: Backup Camera Retrofit: Pre-2012 XK Models