XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery jump: something I'd never seen (and a bizarre related issue...)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

post #15
use a meter

Old 10-06-2021, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,182 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
post #15
use a meter
I assume this was meant for me, as I posted #15.
I don't understand.... 'use a meter'.
Of course I used a meter for the millivolt drop method, it was just too tedious and more difficult to get good contacts. Easier to pull a fuse you can barely reach than to get two probes on the rear contacts. Plus, dealing with millivolt, it's such a small drop it's easy to misconstrue information.
Using amps, it either drops or it doesn't.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:40 AM
Received 132 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't believe it is undersized. It would burn out instead of being protected by fuse(s) and/or there would be problematic voltage drops - which there aren't.
Maybe not undersized enough to burn up but if you measure the resistance and gauge as opposed to more common automotive wiring it is.
Whether they were trying to save weight or money I dont know. Also if you remove your interior and look at the way it is run there
are many unsupported stretches where it can easily get crimped or rub thru on the surrounding metal.

Old 10-07-2021, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I assume this was meant for me, as I posted #15.
No, it was meant for the post just before mine, by d a

Sorry you were confused.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by htrdlncn
Maybe not undersized enough to burn up but if you measure the resistance and gauge as opposed to more common automotive wiring it is.
Whether they were trying to save weight or money I dont know. Also if you remove your interior and look at the way it is run there
are many unsupported stretches where it can easily get crimped or rub thru on the surrounding metal.
I don't know why, either, (maybe both) but fortunately we're not seeing posts about it causing lots of problems (or any?).

htrdlncn (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 07:15 AM
Received 132 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't know why, either, (maybe both) but fortunately we're not seeing posts about it causing lots of problems (or any?).
actually undersized wiring will use more electricity due to the higher resistance as some of the power will be converted to heat thru the extra resistance and the rub thru can cause parasitic losses or shorts tat can be hard to find without pulling everything from interior and inspecting every wire and Jags seem to have a lot of both those problems so it may be a factor after all.

Old 10-07-2021, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by d a
What is "mV drop" and how do I check it? The only time my battery went totally dead was when I installed some rear LED license plate bulbs. Seems they never shut off completely. Anyway, went back to OEM bulbs with no problems since.
@d a here is a video link that will show you how using an Amp Clamp meter as Cee Jay suggests:

https://us.autologic.com/news/testin...e-voltage-drop

kj07xk (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 04:07 PM
d a
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks, great video.

Old 10-08-2021, 12:34 AM
Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JagRag
Well thanks for confirming that I am not crazy.

In just over four years that I have owned my 2010 XKR convertible I have had to jump start my car at least ten different times due to a dead battery. I am also on my third replacement battery in that time. (Like clockwork, it seems to fail every 18 months or so.). And yes, on four different occasions I have experienced the weak power steering phenomenon that you describe above (after a dead battery issue), which also all went away the next time I started the car. Go figure!
and you just confirmed that you do have a convertible...You better get that back seat fuse box diagnosed man cause that fuse box controls your theft system,drains the power,and it will cut your car off in the middle of nowhere and you won't be able to crank it back up when it decides it's really going bad.Don't ask me how i know cause i was in a bad neighborhood in the ghetto when i thought the alternator went bad...and I soon found out it won't the alternator when my car was experiencing some sort of security issue when i took it to a shop for diagnosis that pin pointed me to where the problem was.I get my lil bro to do all my mechanical work,so i got him to change my fusebox out for me and replace it with another 1 and never had a problem ever since.

Last edited by Barry Leftwich; 10-08-2021 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by htrdlncn
actually undersized wiring will use more electricity due to the higher resistance as some of the power will be converted to heat thru the extra resistance
That's not right. The extra resistance (if it mattered) will reduce the current and thus (via I*I*R) reduce the overall power.

Old 10-08-2021, 01:09 PM
Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

We owned a Jaguar S-Type for 8 years as my wife’s daily driver for work. At 6 years of age, temperature, age, whatever; the car developed a phantom electrical drain as well. My informational searches revealed that this kind of drain can occur with the loss of insulation around any copper wire allowing it to come in contact with metal and thus the slow drain. I found via this site a device called “PRIORITY START”. It connects to the positive terminal of your battery post & becomes the connection point for your positive lead to your car. Via its circuitry it monitors the energy draw from the battery, especially when the car is turned off. In the event the battery charge declines too near the preset point above the minimum charge needed to start the car; the device shuts off and stops any outgoing charge; thus preserving the battery to start the car. The device is deactivated by the act of stepping on the brake prior to activating the ignition. When a car battery drains to the point of not being able to start a car, (regardless if you jump start it or use a battery charger) once this has occurred twice or more with the same battery, it dramatically loses capacity and your trickle charger will not be able to save it. As far as electrical motors within the car (power steering, windows, even idle memory) once the battery is completely discharged (dead) or removed for a long period of time; the capacitors that maintain memory also deplete and so these and other components need to relearn once a new battery is installed. it is recommended to take the car out for a short drive at various speeds & operate windows & top so they can relearn their settings. As far as the key fob trick, That’s British electrical engineering for you. An intentional secret back door to get around situations like what you experienced.

JagRag (10-08-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 315 Posts

Truly love these posts.
And they confrim that this is a White Whale that I'm not gonna chase.
For now, after reading every possible battery thread (and GRAD SCHOOL requires less reading than battery threads for our cars), I've created this shut-down technique. We'll see if it helps:

With the car in park but before turning off:

1) Turn off radio (push volume dial)
2) Turn off power to infotainment system
3) Set parking brake

THEN, shut off engine. Finally,
4) double-lock car (lock, wait for mirrors to fold back, press "lock" again)

Will this help? Who knows? I'll keep y'all posted.

Sean W (10-10-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 09:22 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

PK, as you are in LA and not in SF (where parking at a forty degree angle is normal) I wouldn't set the E brake. If you should have a battery problem, it is easy enough to get your car out of "Park" but getting the E brake to release is another matter.

pk4144 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 12:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 561 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by JackJohn
PK, as you are in LA and not in SF (where parking at a forty degree angle is normal) I wouldn't set the E brake. If you should have a battery problem, it is easy enough to get your car out of "Park" but getting the E brake to release is another matter.
Interesting. Thanks!