Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Best colors on XK/XKR

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by yidal8
Well, I'm still at the fork of this XKR road: 2010+ Coupe vs Vert. I thought convertible for sure, as I enjoyed the optional open driving thru the years (1973 spitfire-was my daily for 3 years, 1963 T-Bird vert-was my daily for 3 years, 2000 S2000-fun 3rd car, 21,000 miles in 7.5 years).
But the coupe classy looks is just killing me. The 2 cars from the side and back look surprisingly so much different.......
From driving enjoyment/environment standpoint- with top up is the vert as good as the coupe?
It's not going to be a garage queen- at least 4000 miles/year, and actually will be parked outside, as our daily's are in the garage.
I own an X100 Convertible and an X150 Coupe. Not really what you're asking; but I have driven a 2010+ Convertible. Jaguar convertible tops are well made, seal well, and really keep the noise down. In my 9 years and 45k miles with my 2000 XKR on it's original top and it still is quite quiet (top now 19 years old and 110k on the car); and my experience with a 60k mile 2011 XKR Convertible confirmed that they still do very nice soft tops. My XKR Convertible has spent periods outside in horrific weather, like a month in the winter before (not driving but needed the garage as 2 Japanese dailies both had repairs needed), and I keep my X100 Convertible outside a lot of the summer due to not wanting to do the car shuffle. If you plan on keeping it outside, use a good protectant on the top; I have used raggtop protectant and 303, and both work; but I also clean my top once a year with the raggtop brand cleaner as well and it keeps the buck skin top nice and pretty.

There are times when I drive my X150 that I wish I could put the top down, but then I just drive my X100 and put the top down there. My advice is that if you like top down driving, and you don't have another vehicle to get your fix, a coupe will always leave that thought in the back of your mind. I think the coupe looks slightly more elegant, but the convertible is still very pretty and I like the look even with the top up, which can often be stylistically ugly on a lot of cars. The decision is yours...

The following users liked this post:
Tervuren (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

I test drove both before buying my ‘vert, and IIRC the ‘vert has a bit more headroom (top up), if that’s important to you.
Something I’ve seen posted here before is that the coupe driver doesn’t get as much of the lovely exhaust note as the ‘vert, as you can’t put the rear quarter windows down.
Not sure I’d want to leave my ‘vert out in the elements year round though.

stxscott (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by kj07xk
I test drove both before buying my ‘vert, and IIRC the ‘vert has a bit more headroom (top up), if that’s important to you.
Something I’ve seen posted here before is that the coupe driver doesn’t get as much of the lovely exhaust note as the ‘vert, as you can’t put the rear quarter windows down.
Not sure I’d want to leave my ‘vert out in the elements year round though.
All a coupe owner has to do if they want more noise is remove the acoustic panel over the spare tire.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

But the coupe classy looks is just killing me. The 2 cars from the side and back look surprisingly so much different.......
From driving enjoyment/environment standpoint- with top up is the vert as good as the coupe?
It's not going to be a garage queen- at least 4000 miles/year, and actually will be parked outside, as our daily's are in the garage.
What's your washing situation, as far as scrubbing bird dropping and tree sap from fabric top?
Top up, the convt is not as good as the proper car, in several regards. Its heavier, noisier, and not as rigid on your infamous potholes and insane humps.
In your particular case, you also have to consider break-ins, or slice-ins.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:26 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I've owned many converts in my life and never had a slice/break in. Lucky? Stay out of iffy neighborhoods. Don't leave tempting stuff in the car. As for bird poop, not a problem. A regular cleaner and a soft bristle brush do the trick. If the top is a light color you will be washing the entire top regularly to maintain the color. Sometimes if it was a kind bird, it just flicks off when it dries.

Colors. My XJR is JRG and I love it. I would have loved the Carnival Red for the XKR but I'm not sure they painted it in 2010. I ended up with Liquid Silver because it was the best car on the market at the time for mileage, condition and price. I get plenty of compliments on car and color.

I think black hides many subtle lines of cars. Plus the daily washing to keep it presentable is not for me. Liquid Silver hides a lot of dirt.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by SickRob
...............................I think black hides many subtle lines of cars. Plus the daily washing to keep it presentable is not for me. Liquid Silver hides a lot of dirt.
Agreed with that ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
I do like black but I'm way too lazy to keep it up, so therefore my Pearl Gray Metallic. It's nice and dark but not TOO dark, and it hides dirt and swirl marks.

Old 05-09-2019, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

There are several different blacks.

I would not say the gloss black(ebony) hides the lines of the car.

The world plays itself upon the surface in beautiful ways, finding its away around the lines and curves.

Hans Amstein (09-11-2022)
Old 05-09-2019, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tervuren
I would not say the gloss black(ebony) hides the lines of the car.
(Ebony is not gloss black its a almost black grey, try some black touch up paint and you will believe)
Black hides nothing, its the most reflective color, which is why it shows dirt.
However it does have a slimming effect, not a bad thing on a rather largish car.
Perhaps why Jaguar used a black xkr on several of the brochure covers.
I think the 175 only came in black? and the final fifty were predominantly black.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 05-09-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
(Ebony is not gloss black its a almost black grey, try some black touch up paint and you will believe)
I was not aware of this distinction, it has been noted. I would however venture that in common parlance it is gloss black.

Color is dependent on environment, to choose the best color across all environments is likely a losing proposition.

Background, latitude, altitude, atmospheric particulate matter, these will all alter which color looks best.

The Millennium Yellow on my Corvette changes dramatically based on the amount of scattering from particulate matter in the atmosphere.

That said, there are certain colors that I observe certain traits tend to own.

Black - Confidence, and as an offshoot of confidence; power. People I know that keep black cars clean are either very good, and know it, or not very good, but don't know it.

Red - Rolls the dice in how they live their life, playing the game is often more important than the outcome.

Bright Yellow - Often either a joker or the joke. Yellow stands out; you have to be willing to look a fool to drive yellow.

Blue - Loyal.

Green - Weird and different; I have not known a single exception. Some good weird, some not.

White - Every person with a white car I have worked with is detailed oriented, they want things their way.

kj07xk (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
I was not aware of this distinction, it has been noted. I would however venture that in common parlance it is gloss black.

Color is dependent on environment, to choose the best color across all environments is likely a losing proposition.

Background, latitude, altitude, atmospheric particulate matter, these will all alter which color looks best.

The Millennium Yellow on my Corvette changes dramatically based on the amount of scattering from particulate matter in the atmosphere.

That said, there are certain colors that I observe certain traits tend to own.

Black - Confidence, and as an offshoot of confidence; power. People I know that keep black cars clean are either very good, and know it, or not very good, but don't know it.

Red - Rolls the dice in how they live their life, playing the game is often more important than the outcome.

Bright Yellow - Often either a joker or the joke. Yellow stands out; you have to be willing to look a fool to drive yellow.

Blue - Loyal.

Green - Weird and different; I have not known a single exception. Some good weird, some not.

White - Every person with a white car I have worked with is detailed oriented, they want things their way.
Learned something about myself!

Old 05-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

2011 XKR Convertible. Lunar Gray, black top. It really accentuates the lines of the body.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Your Selena wheels make it look like my 2009 Shadow Gray Portfolio! But it you look closely, the front bumper, side gills, and taillights are different.

P.S. Added interior photo for JJ. Note that the OEM floor mats are Ivory trimmed with Slate leather, pictured with more practical aftermarket gray mats for daily use.

Last edited by Stuart S; 05-10-2019 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Added P.S.
Tervuren (05-10-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 08:26 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd love to see these two side by side. The white interior in your car is beautiful.

Stuart S (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

The darker colours seem to pop the most at dusk. I couldn't resist taking a photo of mine after I parked at the boat club a few months ago.

Tervuren (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I guess the net here is the best color is the one you like.

The following 6 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Aonsaithya (05-10-2019), kj07xk (05-10-2019), ralphwg (05-10-2019), SickRob (05-12-2019), sparky fuze (05-10-2019), Tervuren (05-10-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-10-2019, 06:45 AM
Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
What's your washing situation, as far as scrubbing bird dropping and tree sap from fabric top?
Top up, the convt is not as good as the proper car, in several regards. Its heavier, noisier, and not as rigid on your infamous potholes and insane humps.
In your particular case, you also have to consider break-ins, or slice-ins.
Not in the city, but actually on the north shore of LI, on the bay. Perfect setting for a vert. Cleaning/washing and maintaining the cars in my driveway is easy.
My S2000 top (as the rest of the car) was like new when I sold her after 7.5 years and 21,000 miles. It was always covered when not used (forgot the brand, one of those high-end fitted, breathable outdoor car covers). I remember washing the cover in the washing machine once a year, was designed for it.

Last edited by yidal8; 05-10-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

While many seem to consider silver a bit boring, and it can admittedly look a bit flat in direct sunlight, it's my favorite color for most cars, including the XK.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

Not in the city, but actually on the north shore of LI, on the bay. Perfect setting for a vert. Cleaning/washing and maintaining the cars in my driveway is easy.
Totally agree, Seacliff used to be my old hang out. You have all the amenities of civilization and then some. Absolutely idealistic setting for vert. The city is the worst, especially parked on the street.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:04 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by sparky fuze:
mosesbotbol (05-13-2019), SuperTrav (05-16-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 08:31 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by sparky fuze:
SuperTrav (05-16-2019), White Bear (05-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Best colors on XK/XKR