XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake dust from HELL!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

Akebono only show rear pads for XK's............XKR's maybe. But Power Stop Z16 does shows both F & R; someone on the Forum has used them; forgot who!

Cheers, Adrian

Old 02-26-2012, 05:36 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll check them out, thanks.

I'd really prefer Jaguar does the right thing and issue the TSB.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I tried Hawk Ceramic pads on my 02 XKR when I first had it. After one sets use, I had to replace all 4 of my drilled rotors; cost me $1300 for new ones, which was much cheaper than the dealer price but still alot. The dust was much lower witj the Hawks, but the wheels squealed like a stuck pig 90% of the time I was breaking. And when it was cold, I had to STAND on the pedal to get the car to slow down until they warmed up.

After the Hawk's I went to EBC Redstuff. They are on my wife's Vanden Plas. The EBC Redstuff pads are not sero dust, but they don't put out near as much dust as the OEM pads. And the stopping power of the redstuff pads are outstanding. After putting the redstuff pads on my wife's vanden plas, her reaction was after driving the first time was "Wow the brakes really stop now!".

The EBC Redstuff pads seem to be a good balance between stopping performance (which is why you have brakes...) and the brake dust. I also use the Armorall Wheel Protectant which keeps the dust off as well. I have read about the wheel glaze and gonna try that too.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey, noting major but I tout I'd post the results of trying the Armor All Wheel protectant that many suggested. Stumbled across a video of a guy testing it on his Aston and was persuaded.

Just had the car cleaned, drove ~2 miles one (uphill!) and spent ten minutes getting the rims free of the brake dust that'd already accumulated. Amazing. Anyway, I waited till the car was cold, cwent over the rims with a towel one last time, them applied the living hell out of the Armor All stuff. Nearly used an entire can, way overkill. let the car sit overnight.

And sure enough, two days of spirited driving and they look almost clean! I can see a bit of dust here and there, but night and day better than normal. And what was there came off like nothing. I'll post long term results, but for a cheap and easily applied product, I'm way impressed. No longer do I find myself amazed at how the shortest trip can ruin an otherwise clean car with so much dark dust.

Maybe not as good a fix as better formulated pads, but so far a great interim solution.

Fwiw,

Skeeter

Old 03-12-2012, 11:28 PM
RJC

Good to know, thanks. Just be careful not getting too much of that stuff on the rotors, don't know if could induce any glazing.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:30 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd given strong consideration to refinishing my rims in a color to match the brake dust. However, I just bought new EBC rotors and Red Stuff pads and will have them put on next week. I'm also getting my Senta rims 'de rashed' and repainted this week, so we will see how it goes.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 AM
RJC

Originally Posted by Gn4hir
I'd given strong consideration to refinishing my rims in a color to match the brake dust. However, I just bought new EBC rotors and Red Stuff pads and will have them put on next week. I'm also getting my Senta rims 'de rashed' and repainted this week, so we will see how it goes.
Please let us know how they work out; I've heard in the R application they create a clicking noise when applying the brakes...like to know if you find this to be the case. Ive also been informed that the dust is drastically reduced.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Skeeter,

You might want to give Eagle 1 Wheel Protectant a try when you get a chance. I found it to be noticeably better than the ArmorAll and just a bit cheaper too.